1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[official Rocket Hero] Kenny Smith Appreciation Thread/Education

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Oct 17, 2007.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

hahaha

actually there's a ton of Kenny Smith videos on youtube. i guess Inside the NBA is really popular. must be the charles barkley and ernie fans right?

2. tinman

Supporting Member

I'm bringing this back cause some people here think Kenny had only 1 good game for the Rockets.

seems like that every year.

3. 2rings

2rings Member

Again???? Do we really need to revive this???

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I'd rather a bring back, than a new one.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

there's been Kenny Smith vs Gary Payton
    and Kenny Smith vs Steve Francis threads

I'm not arguing that Kenny is a better player, its the lack of knowledge of some fans of how Kenny really played for the Rockets.

To them, its just the Orlando game. that's it. He had MANY MORE great games than that, its just not on youtube for the kids to see.

And to them Kenny wasn't in his prime that year, no that wasn't Kenny's best year. That was the team's.

If Rocket fans actually read any of the great articles that I reposted from the Chronicle, they'd be shocked on how well Kenny played as a PG.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

So Kenny was DISSED for his comment for the 07-08 prediction on the Rockets.

Well guess what?
    All those things are relevant NOW. chemistry, Yao and Tmac coexisting.
    Steve Francis? Kenny should have mentioned that he would hardly ever play.

So yeah, diss on Kenny's analysis. He was right. He had the Jazz ahead of us.
    Guess who we lost to?

Where are you KENNY HATERS?

7. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Nobody thinks that Kenny was a backup rarely used point guard on our teams. Kenny was a solid player on some great rockets teams and he did exactly what he was suppose to and that was knock down wide open 3's. Nobody cares or doubts that Kenny had some good regular season games. There are a ton of solid players that I can find having good games over careers. Everybody remembers the Orlando game because we needed Kenny then and he showed up on the biggest of stages. I'm sure Kenny would be more than happy being remembered for that game. We all know Kenny was good but there is nothing wrong for remembering his biggest GREAT game.

8. 2rings

2rings Member

OK, I have watched nearly every Rockets game since the 1980 season. Kenny Smith was a very average point guard for the Rox. He had one above average season in '90-91 when he averaged a little over 17 points per game, but his scoring, assist and (for the most part) his FG% declined every year there after. His first season with the Rox, he would occasionally take it to the hole (had very good ups actually), but increasingly became a one dimensional, stand out at the three point line shooter. I will always feel a special place for Kenny because of the clutch performance in Game 1 in Orlando. The rox wouldn't have won it without him to be sure. But the fact is that he was nothing more than a role player for the rox and was supplanted by Sam during the most critical stretches of games in the last few years of his career. Hakeem's greatness and the full time attention he received from two defenders basically revived Kenny's career after he was booted out of Sacremento. There were multiple point guards during that time in the NBA that would have come in an started over Kenny and made a much bigger contribution. He was a decent player, but to claim he was more is revisionist history.

9. leebigez

I think what a lot of people miss is how good the role players were. I mean we had role players back then even with a dominant dream and efficient clyde. I mean if u remove yao,tracy,dream, and clyde, who do u trust in a big spot? Shane or Horry? Kenny or Rafer? Mario or Barry? Thorpe or Luis? I could go on and on, but there difference in this team besides health and those teams are guys fitting cohesively and players stepping up.In fact, I'm not sure how many of these guys could actually play for those teams.

10. JujuxG

JujuxG Member

I disagree, because some of the younger rocket fans generation doesn't know much about the history as some older rocket fans or wasen't around that time, you can't blame us for that lack of knowledge ,and doesn't prove crap about us (younger generation of rocket fans who are new to the rocket) that we are not real rocket fans. We (younger generation still love the rocket as much as you and support the rockets.

11. Raven

Raven Member

He was a deadly outside shooter, and a good role player. Nothing more needs to be said, really.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

How were the Rockets under Sleepy Floyd?

/thread

13. tinman

Supporting Member

people are making assumptions about kenny's rockets tenure based on his TNT studio gig and his blogs.

some people aren't real rocket fans on here, not because of age, but because of loyalty to something other than the team.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Yeah, but getting lost in his Orlando game are some other great games and series.

Tell me last time someone shot 60% from 3 point land against Utah.

And to the other posters, having good role players IS IMPORTANT. Nobody said Kenny was an All Star PG. James Posey wasn't an all star for the Celtics last year, but he did his job very well.

To some Kenny didn't do his job well. Which is incorrect.
    Oh and that Cassell guy ended up being an All Star and one of the best/underrated PGs of all time. So Kenny's time got cut cause Cassell was so freaking good.

15. leebigez

Like we've had discussion before about the role players on this team. They don't really fit to what the rox are trying to do and that's win a ring. Scola would be really good with dream because dream could cover for him being a poor defender. Horry would be better than Battier because horry was long, could finish, a good rebounder and verstile defender.Rafer couldn't play on those teams at all. When the team has 4 players that score in a playoff game, u know something is wrong.

16. Pocket Rockets

kenny was also instrumental in the first championship run.

in the WCF against utah... game 1 or 2 i believe, he nailed 5 threes
    in the finals against ny...game 6 and 7 he hit critical 3s down the stretch

if people only remember the orlando game as kennys lone highlight, then those people have been greatly mistaken. The 1st championship run may be overshadowed because of the resiliance of the 2nd, but the 1st was just as important as the 2nd.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

yes I remember that infamous game against Utah in Utah. People were missing wide open shots. that's fine, but when pretty much the entire team starts missing shots, that's bad. wasn't JVG's fault either.

Kenny fit his role perfectly. He was the calming veteran who can run the offense and make shots. He's our Derek Fisher, Fish can't do this!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vwiDrew67GA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vwiDrew67GA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

18. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Blame Tracy. Its his fault we never got out the first round after the Clutch City Era.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

they blamed JVG. sent him to commentators booth.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

It's the off season again.
    And people are failing Clutch City 101 AGAIN.

Clutch City heroes are NEVER replaceable.
    This isn't a stupid NBA2K roster, this was real history, and no 20 other point guards could get the ball to Dream, not make turnovers, and hit clutch 3 pointers in the playoffs like Kenny.

What the hell do you know about Otis Thorpe anyways?

He helped the Pistons with Grant Hill go to the playoffs and was one of the BEST Rockets Power Forwards of ALL TIME!