1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Ravens @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Oct 16, 2012.

1. 45souf

45souf Member

I feel like it's a bounce back game here.We best the jets, now we get the other monkey off are back. 6-1 heading into are bye. not to shabby

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can see Kubes going back to the old over-thinking he use to do though..."I playaction passed against the packers and they were waiting for it. The Ravens saw that the Packers sat on it so the Ravens probably think i'm going to run it next game, especially since Lewis is out. Yup, I'm going to playaction pass it again."

3. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

let's not overthink this. there's only two possible plays to run, a pass or a run. does it really matter which one is called on the first play? if kubes calls a run and it's stuffed people call him conservative. he calls a pass that for the first 5 weeks work to perfection, but fails one time and now he's predictable. sigh.

the call isn't as important as the execution by the players.

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

kubes is so predictable. he always wants the ball if we win the coin toss (extra possesion), he wants a quick 4-5 TD drive to get the lead, then he runs it to control the clock.

great plan but if you go 3 and out to start the game your plan is derailed. oh and it doesn't help that other teams know your plan.

I hope he mixes in some draws and wr screens because the defense are expecting that long play action passes and are zoning up to start the game.

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

wrong on so many levels. you can have unlimited variations on runs/passes depending on coverage.

for example, a screen, draw, power, sweep, all types of runs but all very different and used for different purposes.

#45 ipaman, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  6. micks96

micks96 Member

Kubes has to stop calling mostly pass plays to start games; he has done it every game and it worked cause everyone was thinking run, but after 6 games, it's the norm. Packers were ready for the early play-action and it didn't work like it usually does.

I think we run wild on the Ravens but Torrey, Boldin, Pitta, and even he-who-must-not-be-named will catch plenty of passes against our now struggling secondary.

27-24 Texans

Also, Braman blocks 2 punts and 1 XP.

7. Marteen

Marteen Member

Nothing good ever comes when it's these two guys doing Texans' games. I always feel like Greg goes "And touchdown Texans". But if it's another team like Baltimore "HE MADE A 30 YARD FIELD GOAL TO TIE THE GAME!!!!"

8. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

of course there are variations, but it's still either a run or a pass. people would b**** as much if he ran any of those variations and foster was stopped for little or no gain. i think it's ludicrous to harp on what play is called on the first snap. and if fans are saying the Packers were able to predict the play, well they must have predicted the whole game plan then because the Texans couldn't do anything.

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But the variation of the pass is still key because a playaction is dependent on a team fearing the run. If they know that the a team likes to run the playaction on the first play then no one will bite on the run and the playaction losses a lot of it's effectiveness.

With that being said, it wasn't necessarily a terrible play nor did it cost the texans anything. I'm sure Kubes like to see how the defense handles the playaction early but given that it was such a trend over the last few weeks, it was still kind of surprising to see it again.

10. solid

solid Contributing Member

I am still really depressed about the beat down on Sunday night. I wonder if the players are? That was so humiliating in primetime on the home field; how bad can it get? It was a reappearance of Team Disappointment, the one we have become so painfully familiar with through the years, and a disappearance of Contender Texans, the exciting new team with the shut down defense. If we have another performance like that, it is going to be a very long off week, and likely a painful and embarassing finish to the season. After last week, this game takes on enormous significance both AFC standing wise and, maybe even more importantly, psychologically. Another pathetic showing could crush players and fans alike.

11. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Back away from the ledge.

We obviously laid an egg, but we're in that game Sunday if you leave out the two 4th down penalties that resulted in TDs for the Packers. Not saying we would have won by any means, but it shouldn't have been that ugly. Every team has bad weeks. The Niners just got crushed by the Giants.

The only thing I'm worried about is the running game. Defense will be fine. Rodgers was in a zone and his unbelievable mobility and presence killed us. He would have picked apart anyone with the way he was playing.

12. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Don't really know what to expect from this game. Hopefully we bounce back, I know this will be more of a shootout, with Foster and Rice probably getting theirs. Hoping for a win! Go Texans!

13. liljojo

liljojo Member

This is probably the most important game we'll play all season, unless the Colts turn out a lot better than expected.

Not a must-win, but it would go a LONG way in the race for the #1 seed.

Texans bounce back, 24-17.

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Good lord. You’re literally mainlining drama and spilling it all over us. Get a hold of yourself.

Last week’s game has zero.point.zero impact on the Ravens’ game, which is significant regardless of what happened against Green Bay.

Fan-crushing is irrelevant; no one cares. Players are fine; they're not fans.

15. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

This is the same poster who was so convinced of psychological scarring following the Panthers/Colts losses last December that he predicted a 21-point loss to the Bengals in the playoffs. Not sure why he continues to get so involved in all this dramatic nonsense.

16. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

This is awesome.

"Schaub has un-limitless options when he gets to the line thanks to the coach's unwavering ability to un-allow for audibles at the line of scrimmage."

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Calm down and get a hold of yourself!

[​IMG]

18. solid

Where are you getting these numbers? Every time you post this it is different. Maybe I did, but I have no recollection of predicting a specific score.

So, am I to conclude that those of you who responded to my post, place absolutely no credence in sports psychology? You don't believe that players "get down," because of losses and "get up" to play better? They are just automatons who read plays and execute them? And fans aren't emotional, and it doesn't matter what they think anyway? The NFL is a multibillion dollar business, oh they care.

19. solid

One of my favorite movies.

20. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Absolutely believe in sports psychology.

It's just as easy to say that they'll be pissed about the loss and use it as motivation next week as it is to say that they'll fold. My hunch is that this team will use it as motivation (esp. seeing as how last year they had every reason in the world to fold due to injuries) and we'll see a fired up team that is eager to beat a budding AFC rival that knocked them out of the playoffs last year.