1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Rangers @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 1, 2017.

1. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Haha deal!

Today was probably frustrating to watch (followed along here mostly at work), but we are still playing some fun baseball.

Let's go Astros, let's start another series win tomorrow against the Angels!

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Newsflash - The Astros will most likely lose at least 50 more games. Get used to it. Good teams will lose 2 out of every 5 games. Good decisions will fail. Good decisions will work. One of the best hitters in baseball who has a .909 OPS the previous 3 years with RISP failed big-time twice. It happens.

3. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

He's hit a bit of a rough stretch. It's just like a batter who struggles and goes in a 1/17 slump or something. I am still a Luke Greg fan, and have confidence that he can right the ship soon. Just about 6 weeks ago he was the talk of the WBC, and dominating the world!

kaleidosky likes this.
  4. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

What grand insight do you bring? Gregerson was a bad decision. Peacock was not the best option in that situation. Not like i really have to answer this stupid question.

5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

I know baiting wasn't your intention here but it's amusing to see them basically out themselves by playing the "who, me?" card.

Castor27, kaleidosky and Tomstro like this.
  6. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Keen observation

7. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Look, I think its fine when people take the big picture outlook after losses. The Astros are still one of the best teams in baseball, and Gregerson is not as bad as he has been thus far. Also overall,Hinch is a very good manager who has been pressing the right buttons for the most part this year.

What annoys me is these posters who claim to be taking some sort of "intellectual high ground" by stating these obvious facts as justifications after every loss.

Devo is fresh, he was up in the pen, and the Astros weren't really having too many clean innings. It was the perfect situation for him to come in. The Astros had offensive momentum too. It is not backseat managing either, I was upset before he threw his first pitch. It isn't reacting based solely on outcomes, he has already cost the Astros games multiple times this year.

It was a bad decision, I will continue to be upset when Hinch makes bad decisions, even when the big picture looks very, very promising.

#1047 T for 3, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
    Tomstro likes this.
  8. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

can't please everyone all the time... but some just can't be pleased no matter what.

9. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Agreed. This is a baseball forum for the Houston Astros. Fans of the Houston Astros live here. Most likely, rabid fans like myself are the types you will find. One of the great things about fandom and message boards is that you can experience the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat with others. Personally, I find it hilarious that people want to "jump off the cliff" and then the next day have a total change of heart and praise their team in victory. To me, that IS being a fan. For some of the more pompous fans this is aggravating. Knee jerk reactions and all may raise the monocle brow but it also provides good entertainment. People trying to constantly throw " big boy words" in every post and critisizing passionate fans and just overall trying to impress strangers is the most humorous facet of the fan message board. There is no shortage of that here. Still, It's fun to exchange theories as to why we are winning or losing. If some want to launch personal insults it's just part of it, I guess. I let all the ones hurled at me slide off. It's easy. Now, let's talk Astros.

fiersdownbelow likes this.
  10. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

You may be one of the many that gang up on my posts, not sure. Yet, I fully 100% agree with this post good sir.

T for 3 likes this.
  11. Major

Major Member

Easy to say after the fact.

Of course you don't - because then you'd actually have to show you had these opinions *before* they didn't work out. It's much easier to criticize if you just wait until you see the results of each decision. Did you complain about the 10 times this season Gregerson has been brought in and didn't give up a run? Or all the times Peacock did his job exceptionally well?

tellitlikeitis likes this.
  12. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I personally didn't have a problem with us not bringing in Devo. I would prefer to use him in closer games for more innings (if necessary). I think he was warming up in case we closed the gap again, and we didn't. That's partly Gregerson's fault, yes, but there wasn't any reason to assume that Gregerson was going to have a bad outing today.

RockFanFirst likes this.
  13. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

How incredibly stupid. So, you are saying that you can't critisize Hinch's moves unless you get to the keyboard in time to properly predict it? Is this what you are saying??

14. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I don't gang up on your posts. You are a real fan. You don't pretend to be in the Astros PR department, and around here, that makes you a "fake fan". but whatever. I think the fake fans are the ones who never second guess their team, and use this board to moonlight as fangraphs writers,

Tomstro and mick fry like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

Not even upset they lost.

They took 3 of 4 against a team that has owned them. Dominating the series was huge for the Astros.

Some of the arms in the bullpen are going to fail, happens every year. Gregerson has a track record of doing well.

tellitlikeitis and kaleidosky like this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Predictable usual suspects come out only in losses. A lot of "talk baseball" posts too, which were comical.

Musgrove is going to have his ups and downs. I still have concerns about his sheer tendency to pound the zone, which will lead to some hard hit innings from time to time.

Love the resilience of this team. No lead is safe for the opposition.

tellitlikeitis and kaleidosky like this.
  17. mick fry

mick fry Member

Just sad I wasn't here to will the Astros to a win and keep the peace.✌

18. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Then put me back on ignore smart guy.

19. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Absolutely the best post of the day. It really is stuffy in here. I don't care, I've been a rabid fan since 1980 and i apologize to nobody. Certain people on here barely even talk baseball.

T for 3 likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

Not a single person said a single word about Gregerson when he came in the game. But once he doesn't pitch well......

Stros had chances to score runs, they chose not to. Altuve, Gattis, McCann, Gurriel, they all ****ed up at the plate.

#1060 Buck Turgidson, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017