1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Rangers @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Buck Turgidson

I don't understand the rule completely either. Only play MD had was to slide way right and try to swipe the base with his left hand as he avoided the catcher. I can't imagine that's what the rule envisioned.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'd like it more if those numbers actually came from the leadoff position.

He just seems awfully streaky... I guess they have no choice but to ride him when he's on the good streak, but by putting him in a more high profile spot in the lineup it could effectively end the good streak.

I like the idea of keeping him as the 9 hitter.

3. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

This is the rule:
    In my opinion the catcher didn't block the pathway of the runner as he got the ball before Dominguez slid into him.
    Also--the ball bounced to the same area in which he was blocking the plate so arguably he did so to field the throw.
    Finally---Dominguez slid into the catcher on the left side of the plate, initiating contact, when he should have slid to the right of the plate considering his erratic turn at 3rd which led him near the visiting dugout. The rule puts a burden on both players to avoid collisions when possible.

Seemed like the right call.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The catcher's foot was clearly blocking the plate immediately prior to fielding the throw - granted less than a second or so.

Looked to me like Dominguez slid straight towards the plate and didn't deviate either way, especially considering the catcher's foot was smack dab in the middle of the plate.

Again, I think the rule is a bit biased towards the runner and, in general, I have no problem with the out call in this case. My argument would be that it is not consistent with the rulings I have seen.

5. bobrek

His OBP is .545 hitting leadoff. :)

6. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Don't let facts get in the way of a good Nick argument man

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

How many AB's?

EDIT: He actually had a game earlier this year where he batted leadoff... but he was excelling at AAA in that position. If Fowler doesn't pass his rehab assignment, and doesn't play again this year, maybe they should just keep Robbie there for the rest of the season.

#87 Nick, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm all for facts/stats/actual data to support arguments.... in fact, I encourage it.

Perhaps Grossman is a tremendous leadoff hitter and I'm just flat out wrong.

I'd still take some combo of Fowler or Altuve batting #1 over what Grossman has done in a very small sample size (3 games).

9. bobrek

The smiley face was an indication that it is an incredibly small sample size - 11 at bats at the major league level this season.

Last year he had an extremely mediocre .315 OBP in 250+ plate appearances batting lead off.

10. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

My reply wasn't meant to imply I think Grossman should or will be our long term leadoff man

It was that I disagree with your premise that taking walks is bad for a leadoff man

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Never did I say a leadoff man that takes walks is bad.

I said Grossman is streaky... during his bad streak, he was taking an excessive amount of pitches (letting several hittable pitches go by) and part of how he got out of his "bad" streak was he started becoming more aggressive. Sure, he still did a good job of working some counts... and his 11 pitch AB the other night was impressive.... but I think he's a much better hitter when he goes up there looking for his pitch and tries to make the most of it (rather than looking to walk).

I also think he hasn't put it all together yet and continuing to bat him leadoff could put him back in "excessive take" mode, which could lead to possible struggles.

Trust me, if he hits... he's also going to draw walks. Unfortuantely, there's not a lot of guys out there who don't hit very much but have the ability to draw walks... and despite his latest hot streak, Grossman also isn't one of them.

I entirely agree with the premise that a leadoff man that can get on base via walk or hit is a great thing to have.