1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Playoffs: Texans @ Patriots

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I also thought they had a good run of defense early on, while the Pats were still actively trying to score big.

In fact, I was very impressed with the amount of hits they got on Brady... Brady probably was impressed as well, because he sure showed a ton of emotion on one of their latter scores that didn't really have all that much impact on the decision.

If the Texans can continue to get to Brady, its going to keep them in the game... provided their offense doesn't turn the ball over and get dominated at the LOS.

2. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

1. really would be surprised if that happened....

2. In regards to the Pats defense, we really need to test their LB in crossing route coverage...while we do have a difficult time with Wilfork, I do think that his influence in the game is a bit overrated...They however make huge game changing plays that can make games blow outs...

Bottom line if the Jets with Mark Sanchez did this...we have a chance with Schaub, Arian and AJ

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lZQfShvPUv4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. conquistador#11

$100 dollar bet that brandon brooks starts or plays more than jones! I need the money so i can get a new thriller published.

the o-line won the point of attack against the best front seven, so no reason for fattyfork and mayo to take over like they did the first time around. keep focused, no penalties.
    150 yards for foster w/2tds.
    270 yards/ 2td/ 1 int for schaub.

4. Mr Striker09

Mr Striker09 Member

Lol, how will he make a difference?? He sure wont be having to guard one of the TE's they have. Brady has tons of options.

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

That's why they will put up points. No Stallworth and Edelman help and The Cat's post explained how much trouble we've had with the slot guys esp since McCain's injury.

The Pats will put up there share of points. We have to make them settle for field goals and put up 35 or so to have a shot.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

I said this before the last time these two teams met and it's the same. The only way the Texans win is pass rush on Brady early and consistently. If that doesn't happen, the Texans fall in a hole again and the offense has to change game plan to something they're just not equipped to do.

The other obvious keys are penalties and redzone offense but that won't matter if Tom Brady has all day to throw.

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

[​IMG]

:cool:

8. clubberclyde

clubberclyde Member

Texans win 31- 21

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

And don't forget - they forced a punt (a three-and-out, IIRC) on the opening series but Harris' needless penalty wiped it out.

The score and basic letdown of a hyped game led many to just assume the Texans were wiped out by the Patriots. But it wasn't necessarily because the Patriots were 4 TDs better.

The Texans opened that game with a procedure peanlty (wiped out a 17-yard run) on the very first play from scrimmage and then it simply got worse from there: a dropped third down pass (Jean); the defensive three-and-out extended by Harris' penalty; a forced fumble they were unable to recover inside their own 5; and a Matt Schaub force-job into the end zone that killed a drive (down just 7-0, IIRC).

In Foxbourgh, against the Patriots, you CANNOT hand them *any*thing.

If they play clean, they have a chance.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Anyone with some free time on their hands want to research what the average QB rating for guys like Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, etc. has been versus Wade Phillips since like 2004 or so?

I'm too busy to battle-nerd at the moment.

11. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Screw it, OCD mode engage.

Wade Phillips vs Elite QBs

Peyton Manning - 70.2, 75.4, 83

Tom Brady - 78.1, 57.6, 82.3, 125.4

Drew Brees - 81.5, 86.7, 99.6

Aaron Rodgers - 80.1, 91.1, 131.5 (Wade was fired from Dallas after this game), 133.8

Lately he's been their punching bag, but overall, he has a decent track record against them.

I think Wade is going to come up with something extra nasty for Mr. Chin-butt.

1 person likes this.
  12. conquistador#11

back in 2004, all the way through 2008, you could still play defense like men.

the cowboys used to stomp on the K-gun offense, which at the time was considered a terror.
    We have the personnel to stop this gimmicky offense by the hoody, which he installed because he could no longer strike gold on his defensive draft picks.

"I think Wade is going to come up with something extra nasty for Mr. Chin-butt."
    crossing fingers.

13. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

This list was from 2006-2012.

14. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Brady isn't invincible, we know several of usual suspects among the players are going to step their games up, but so must the coaching and play calling.

Can't get stuck in predictable behaviors and expect Foster or Johnson to make all the offensive woes go away. The team as a whole must step up at every position and carry the Texans logo on their helmets up and down the field from end zone to end zone. There is no question that this team can do it, while it won't be easy, they are more then capable when they put their minds and abilities to do what they are paid and most should love to do.

15. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Care to place a bet with me? $100

16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Somewhat related, I really hope the Texans defer if they win the toss Sunday. Drove me nuts to see them take the ball against the Bengals (they went 3-and-out). With a slumping offense, anything other than a touchdown has the potential to start the "here we go again" mindset. Considering how the defense looked Saturday, I'd feel a lot better about our chances of holding New England to a punt or field goal and starting fresh, so to speak.

Plus, the Texans have been at their best (on offense) right out of the half these past two weeks, so I like the thought of having the ball then.

17. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Check your dates , kid.

18. MystikArkitect

Short and sweet. Put a pass rush on Brady, make the TE's feel pain when/if they catch balls, Schaub plays mistake free, Texans win.

28-17.

19. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Your posts always seem to make me feel better... Rep.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I thought the same thing, but I'm not sure I want to give the Pats the ball first.