1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Playoffs Bengals @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Dec 31, 2012.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

This is just not true. The safety had made a very good break and was a lot closer to Walter than you think, and gaining rapidly. That would've been a risky throw unless he put it on Kevin's outside shoulder with pinpoint accuracy. AJ was the best read there. Noodle arm strikes again. A tiny bit more velocity on that ball and Casey hauls it in. Either way, I agree with you. We're going to have to hit more 15 yard+ passes to beat NE.

BTW - the boys at r/nfl got ahold of Matt Schaub's game winning 1st down "celebration"... hilarity ensues.

Now if only I could find a gif of Danieal Manning's wheelbarrow tackle of Jermaine Gresham...

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

You're right he was WIDE OPEN!!! Seriously this is the NFL and that is an NFL throw. Let's not forget Walter is tall, you put that ball on the sideline high and let him try and make a play.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

No it's not. They're better QBs.

DM, agree to disagree. He's open. Schaub being incapable or unwilling to throw to him doesn't change that. And it wouldn't require Schaub making any kind of throw beyond fairly routine, either. I guarantee you, if you look at the cluster underneath, that Kubiak designed it to go to Walter and I'd wager he's going to let Schaub know it.

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough. His decision was obviously the wrong one with the outcome that happened but for the majority of the day he was on and taking what the defense gave him. It seemed pretty clear the bengals were doing their best to prevent the deep ball

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Havent heard anything about Garrett graham. I was afraid he suffered another concussion on that big catch. Saw the doctor looking at him on the sideline asking him " who was that" after one of the players came by to congratulate him

6. drewd17

drewd17 Member

Anyone know when the NFL Rewind is for the game?

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

He averaged 6.89/attempt (helped by a 22-yarder to AJ; otherwise, the number drops to 6.48 on 37 pass attempts); as a Texan, he averages 7.9 and has finished 8, or better, in 3 of his last five seasons (including 8.5 last year). As a point of reference, in his one year under Kubiak, Carr averaged 6.3/attempt.

He was check down city all day as I saw far too many open lanes down field he simply ignored in favor of the safer option. He's not playing with any confidence right now. When he's clicking, he'll make those throws.

8. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm hoping Saturday's game was one where Kubiak, "you know what, let's go into the game looking to win with our Defense and Rushing attack and play it safe in the passing game."

A big part of me is hoping and praying that there's something - anything! - that they're holding back for when they absolutely need it. I mean, they were much more aggressive offensively earlier in the season, and in year's past. The offense has been much more dynamic in its attack than we've seen recently. I really think Kubiak is playing to his defense - maybe a little too much - and will hope to win games 21-15.

9. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

That's been Kubiak's gameplan going in to every game since Week 13 last season.

We can use the formula to steamroll the likes of the Jags and pull off wins against two thirds of the league with it. Trouble is, it hasn't held up well against playoff teams.

We're going to have to bring more to the table than Mike Fratello 90s ball come Sunday.

10. The Drake

The Drake Member

Congrats, Texan fans. Bummer of a game from my perspective (obviously).

Dalton gets one more year to prove himself, then it's time to look elsewhere. Defense was legit tho, especially in the red zone.

11. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Yep he is on the clock.

Matt Ryan is on the clock as well (his stage is Sunday).

12. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

You cannot be serious about ditching Dalton 3 years in...

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Every team except the Super Bowl winner should ditch their QB and look elsewhere.

1 person likes this.
  14. ubigred

Not sure about ditching him after next season (good qbs are like gold), but how long do you give him?

Two scenarios:

1. Miss the playoffs
    2. First round exit (again)

15. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

So you would possibly replace all but one of Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees just to name a few. I mean they aren't all winning the chip

16. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

The Bengals look primed to pounce on top of the aging corpses of the Ravens and Steelers. Dalton should be their man for the next decade. Focus on fixing everything else, Dalton is good enough to get you places. At the very least, you let him ride out the rest of his rookie contract and go from there. Barring utter disaster, he'll be getting a 4-6 year contract after that.

17. ubigred

Fair point , although I see them finishing #2 behind the Ravens next season.

18. The Drake

The Drake Member

He's seriously regressed this season from where he was last year. I'm not really sold on him as a legit franchise QB, or even confident that he can maintain his current status in the "good enough" tier.

My earlier post might have been colored by his awful performance last Saturday, but he's not a good QB right now. He's not terrible like Lindley/Skelton/Weeden, but there's no way he's a lock as our next franchise QB. I hope he is that guy, but hope and reality don't always coincide.

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

This off-season is going to be HUGE in terms of his future projection, and his growth as a player. If he puts in the time and effort it takes to turn the corner, he has the measurables to be a solid NFL pro. I agree with Donny (as usual) and think you guys need to address many other things before you address QB. Mainly, the linebacking corps, a second threat at WR (although I know nothing about how Sanu is developing), and perhaps safety help. I would say linebackers are 1A AND 1B, though. Mauluga is atrocious in coverage.

20. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

The Ravens are aging...after some of the stinkers they put up this year...look for that to be the trend coming soon...Ray lewis leaving changes the face of that team...and I dont know if people are thrilled of having Flacco and Rice carry them forward