1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Padres @ 2017 World Champion Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 6, 2018.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Why is it a given that Giles would be nasty in a set up role? I don’t understand. This discussion has occurred in a number of threads, but Giles did his job (get saves) at the second highest percentage in the AL last season. If he is such a bad closer, what would make him such a great 7th or 8th inning guy?

Also, I seriously doubt Hinch is thinking playoffs and how he will use his bullpen in them after 7 games.

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Dodgers Twitter trying to make themselves feel better... from their lackluster start to the season

Astros started last year at 4-4. Not a losing record but.. 2012 Giants at 2-4 2011 Cardinals at 2-6 2009 Yankees at 9-10 2008 Phillies at 2-4 2003 Marlins at 19-29 2002 Angels at 6-14 2001 DBacks​

Houstunna, RasaqBoi and CrushCity like this.
  3. CrushCity

CrushCity Member

they shook

ill laugh my ass off if they lose gm 7 of the NLCS against Darvish...

RasaqBoi and Uprising like this.
  4. newAge_Rockets

I'd like to see Armenteros get a shot in the bullpen. From what I saw in spring training, the guy has good command and I think his stuff will play up in a 1 or 2 inning situation (a la 2017 Musgrove). He's my sleeper pick of the year.

5. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Giles is a top-tier regular season closer, and I think he is elite as a pitcher. However, I don't trust him in the playoffs. That's based on an admittedly small sample size of one miserable playoffs but also my gut - when I stare into his eyes on the mound through my television during the playoffs (that's a lot of prepositional phrases in a row), I feel my gut telling me not to trust him. This team is dynasty/legendary potential. I want Mariano Rivera out there for us in Game 7 of the WS this October, call me spoiled.

6. pw1993

pw1993 Member

Lefty batters hit .305 off Perdomo last year so good to see the lefty bats in the lineup tonight.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  7. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Top-heavy, too.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

There is a slight plate discipline adjustment by hitters in the 9th. Some pitchers pitch significantly better against hitters earlier in the game if they depend on swings on pitches outside the zone. As Giles does depend on chases, he might be better in a different role. That said, not sure swapping Harris or Devenski there makes much of a difference.

9. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Channel 13 was showing the crowd outside MMP, these giveaways got people waiting in line all day. I have tickets for tomorrow but I'm not spending a day waiting in line. Anybody planning to get in line early tomorrow to get a replica ring?

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Did the Astros twitter account just make a reference to a whale's...

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I think hitters will make the same adjustments against the setup guy in a close game as they would against the closer in a close game.

It is possible he might be better in a different role, I just don’t see how anyone can make a statement that he would be ‘nasty’ in a setup role. For now, I am assuming if the Astros need a pitcher to throw one inning for a save, Giles is still at the top of the list.

12. pw1993

pw1993 Member

It's been said that Kelvin Herrera is on the trading block so if the Royals do what they are expected to do this year (i.e. play pretty poorly), it may be possible to trade for Herrera as a rental. He's only 28, has a career ERA of 2.84, and has gotten off to a fabulous start this year.

If the Astros are uncomfortable with any current members of the bullpen and don't want to make an internal replacement, Herrera could be one option. In terms of how he pitches under pressure, he has a career .580 OPS against with RISP and a .676 OPS against in games that are "Late & Close". He's pitched in 22 postseason games with a 1.26 ERA. Would the people uncomfortable with Giles prefer to have Herrera on the mound in the WS?

13. pw1993

pw1993 Member

At his age, the Astros might even want to extend Herrera for a couple years through the 2020 season.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Stood in line today for the trophy, probably never happen again

16. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sitting here soaking up the atmosphere, been a long while since I've been to a game. Thoroughly enjoying the whole thing.

Houstunna and JeeberD like this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Can't find a site that does a quick split for show this, but if I recall correctly, chase rate in 9th high leverage had about a 1-2% less chase rate than other high leverage situations. Not a great difference league wide, but some pitchers are more susceptible to this. Not sure if Giles is one, but I don't see much difference between Giles, Harris, and Devenski in 1 inning stints ( do prefer Devo in more innings) except that Giles is hated.

18. Field Goal Gary

Damn its been a long 2 days. Lets go Astros!

19. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member

I thought Yuli was back?

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Mcullers drunk yo