1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Packers @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Oct 9, 2012.

1. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They played a college game the day before. This needs to stop. I could see seems on my tv.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

could be worse ... Could have loss to the Titans or Jags.

Rocket River

3. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

when the best QB in the league plays a perfect game, no one's going to beat him. however, our offensive line was manhandled which shouldn't happen when the defense is missing 2 of their premier players.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I agree. I thought there were six legitimate reasons to be concerned coming into the game; things we've been worried about but had buried under a mountain of wins. The Packers may have fully exposed them last night:

1a) The importance of Brian Cushing: I'm a fan so I can rationalize anything. I knew his loss would be big but I had talked myself into it not being *that* big. I am, of course, a moron. Other than Duane Brown, I'm not sure there's a bigger loss in terms of talent and then the drop-off to the back-up. Oh my God, I’m already saddened by what Tom Brady might be able to do to this team in a few weeks….

1b) The running game: One of the ways you can compensate for losing Cushing is to keep the defense off the field. Unfortunately, the running game has been good; not great. It was, of course, awful last night. Foster looked downright apathetic. The loss of Winston+Briesel is bigger than I ever imagined. It needs to get turned around quick. Believe it or not, Baltimore might be perfectly timed. Their run defense is atrocious.

3) JJo's health: Teams are seeing something on tape and targeting him; he’s being torched. Shut-down CBs don’t get targeted and they sure don't get torched. My guess is that his groin is worse than they’re letting on. He was giving so much cushion these past two weeks, I could’ve sworn it was Jason Allen. Please get here quickly, bye week.

4) Return games: Cobb’s big 43-yard return after our “maybe there’s a chance…” 3Q TD was such an instant game-changer/deflater. And I thought Martin was flat-out terrible. Two punts were downed inside our 10 after he let them drop; one was picked up on Posey’s penalty. The Texans didn’t start a single drive outside their own 20 in the first half, and three of the 6 were inside the 15.

5) The disappearance of Connor Barwin: I’m stumped. Reed isn’t playing appreciably better but Barwin has been a non-factor. No sacks, no negative plays, zero impact. Now that teams are double-teaming Watt, if our OLBs don’t get it together… without Cushing, we’re going to get picked apart by above-average QBs. Oh my God, I’m already saddened by what Tom Brady might be able to do to this team in a few weeks….

6) Kubiak’s lack of urgency: People have been champing at the bit that he’s taken his foot off the pedal in blow-outs; I’ve argued against it with one notable exception: his overwhelming penchant for kicking FGs on 4th and short in opponent territory. It hasn’t cost them yet – but it drives me bonkers and he did it again last night when it might have actually hurt them.

Down 21-7, with Green Bay on fire and no reason for you to suspect they were going to take their foot off the gas, he faced a 4th and 2 at the Packers’ 45. If you miss it (and it was a 51-yarder), you shorten the field for a red-hot QB and you’re likely down 28-7 at the half. If you make it… who cares? You’re still down two TDs (21-10) and *still* facing a red-hot QB. Then he compounded it by letting the clock waste away at the end of the half. His fraidy-cat 3 looks a lot better if it becomes a 6. As does 21-13. Now you’re within a TD. I know the flip-side is getting to the locker room ASAP, lick your wounds and start fresh but…

It wasn’t the most critical stretch of the game; Posey’s penalty and that disastrous opening Packer drive in the 3Q were the two head-against-wall moments for me. But I thought this team very clearly needed a wake-up call and challenging your struggling rushing attack to save the game and get two yards seemed like the opportune time to do it. Disappointing.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

^^^ when the best QB in the league plays a so-so game but we do silly things like give them first downs on penalties,we're not going to beat him. :eek:

6. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I totally agree that the loss of Cushing cannot be understated. I just think the 4-man front gave the Packers a great run option which allowed Rodgers to mix it up to keep the pressure off of him and give him time to make plays down the field. I always worry about #25 and #21, but now it looks like we have to add #24 to the list as well. He's not looking the same as he did last year.

Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things, but this year with the prime time games, the Texans have a chance to take a step up to the national conversation and do some brand building. Performances like the past two will not get it done. It's like they weren't ready for prime time at all. Not a single thing that they've hung their collective hat on recently (i.e. "the most complete team in the league") surfaced last night. Sometimes you get beat, but that wasn't a contest. They got theirs handed to them last night.

I think it was 3 penalties that resulted in 18 points. Posey offside, next play TD. KJ PI, next play TD. Barwin/Manning personal fouls which lead to 7 instead of 3. Sloppy, sloppy game. The one play that typified how things went yesterday was the 3 and out the Texans had after halftime and the Packers took their opening drive for a TD.

After taking that big sack on 2nd down, Schaub literally grounded the ball on 3rd and 20 and it looked like the team opened up a can of quit right there.

7. Hey Now!

Ordinarily, I would agree. And ultimately, you're right. But it was a big moment for the franchise and I was disappointed they didn't perform better on that stage. And they have two prime time games left against QBs who are likely to have similiar results if they don't fix some issues on that defense.

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

We get another shot on that stage in a month (in Chicago). This Sunday vs. Baltimore is certainly an all-hands-on-deck type game, but after then, I'd be happy to shut Joseph down for at least two weeks (thankfully, one is a bye) and target the Nov. 11 SNF game as his return. I think whatever's going on with him (I suspect the groin) is by far the biggest issue they need to fix.

9. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

When the butt whipping is so big, Kubiak reverts back to taking the blame for everything. You're a nice guy Gary, but it's time to let the team put on their big boy pants on their own and call out what you see. It's not like we don't see that Barwin continues to suck and additionally made a boneheaded play, that special teams continues to suck, that Posey is looking like a bad gamble, and that the Oline got abused at times.

Now we have to keep a close eye on the D now, suddenly there are weaknesses exposed (JJo hobbling with the groin, lately no pass rush outside of Watt, and of course no Cushing) and Wade must bandage those weak spots as best he can. I don't think the offense can't continue to look for the D to bail them out as before.

10. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Aaron Rodges raped us, but we made it really easy for him to do so by pulling down our pants and bending over for him.

11. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Last week when Rex Ryan went for the fake punt with Tebow...it was so cool to see that...and at the same time...If i was a player on that Jets team...I would have been super stoked about the play...fired up...and tried making better plays...The JETS knew they didnt have a chance...yet they took chances...They showed the willingness to put things on the line...and sent a clear message across the field...WE WILL DO WHAT IS NECESSARY TO WIN...

Kubiak doesnt believe to take risks to win...and that in itself is a recipe for average teams...By not taking risks...he believes that he minimizes the chances of turnovers...but to beat the good teams in our league...it is extremely important to be flexible and play according to the situation...Herm Edwards said it the best: "you play to win the game..."

Even last night...good teams with head coaches that play to win...will go for the jugular...

1. 38 seconds in the half with 3 timeouts...and the Texans didnt want to take a timeout...knowing that they wont get the ball back in the second half...they were content being down 21-10...and didnt show an urgency to try even putting up a FG...
    instead what GB and Aaron did was excellent...after about 10-15 seconds...he quickly huddled his players and tried getting off a play to try putting them in FG range...and hence why the Texans were forced to taking a timeout...

2. The play that the Texans could have changed moment with is by going for the fake kickoff/onside at the start of the second half...if we were fortunate to recover that...that totally changes the moment...and even if it isnt recovered...you send a message to GB...that you are willing to gamble...

So my message to Kubiak...stop playing to build a lead and maintain it...play to win...and that will permeate throughout the team...

12. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

momentum...;)

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

By the way, I thought one underrated play last night was Quin's dropped interception on the goal line to open the second half (prior to either the Barwin flag or Manning flag, can't remember which). It was 3rd and goal, Glover made the correct read and stepped in, had it hit him right in the hands... and dropped it. Make that play, and it's your ball, up 21-10, with all sorts of momentum.

The reason I emphasize it is Glover had a similar dropped INT in the second half in Denver that could've/should've sealed the game long before the last play.

It seems a lot of people want to talk coaching and scheme today, but the reality is that against elite QBs, you're not going to shut them down. They're going to get yards. You just have to bait them into the occasional mistake. That's two games now (against elite QBs) in which Quin has put himself in the perfect position but couldn't secure the catch. Those are killers.

14. Hey Now!

I obviously agree with a lot of your post but, uhm... no. Onside kicks that don't happen at the end of close games are stupid. I saw a stat just yesterday - the recovery rate is 15%. There's absolutely, positively no way you take an 85% chance that Aaron Rodgers' first drive might start on your side of the field.

15. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

No there wasn't. The last game there was SHSU-SFA but that was over a week ago.

The only game this season where there was a college game the day before was the Titans game when UH-Rice played on Saturday. No more are scheduled. People need to stop using this as an excuse. The field and the way it's designed to bring the turf in on trays is just bad.

16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Momentum is the keyword to the game last night. Two different times when it looked like we might be getting it on our side, the defense committed inexplicable penalties and kept Green Bay drives alive. Without those penalties we're probably talking about a game that goes down to the wire rather than a complete beating like we saw.

The only thing I'm worried about is special teams and the running game. Defense will be fine. We needed a slap in the face like that IMO, and it was better to come against an NFC opponent than Baltimore next week.

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I like natural grass but the system is just not great. I'm not sure how they would do artificial turf though.

18. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Imagine if we had two jj watts. Seriously lack of pass rush was the main thing to me...switch reed and Barwin. They better be trying a lot of sheet at practice. No days off, extended practice till this gets right

19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Yep Mario and Watt would be unstoppable :eek:

20. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Play a 2-5
    Watt and mario as DEs
    With 5 linebackers/large cornerbacks that can hit, with speed ala GQ

Then the 2 corners, 2 safeties...

Prob. Solved! ...j.k. Actually imagine if we didn't have watt how there :eek: ! Seriously