1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OFFICIAL: Omer Asik a Houston Rocket (3 year/$25.1 million)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigbodymoe, Jul 1, 2012.

?

3-years, $25.1 million deal to Omer Asik -- is this a good deal for the Rockets?

1. YES

895 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. NO

446 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The money portion is interesting, but it does not advance the team basketball wise.....

DD

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I'm saying in general. He's just a 7 foot presence. That's all he is. Marcus Camby at his age right now is a better option offensively than Asik is. I don't mind the signing, but the Rockets definitely overpaid IMO.

3. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Yet, such a team may struggle to make the playoffs.

4. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

Alright 8 seed!!!!!!

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

in fairness, if someone knew something about the cap hit the way Carl explained it, then they should have mentioned that. Carl's was the first post that had that info. It changed completely the way I viewed this move, because you can damn well bet I'd be pissed if we had to commit $15 million of cap money to Asik in any one season.

6. cardpire

cardpire Member

pretty damn similar. asik has him beat on $ per year.

but, agreed...both awful contracts.

7. HPD

HPD Member

S p a s h !

8. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Youth basically... The possibility of turning into a better defender. More heart? It's a gamble, but not a bad one. If he can play 35 minutes a game and at least be alright on the offensive end he solves a big problem for us.

9. Garner

Garner Member

WOOOO!

C: Asik/Camby

legit.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

True, they basically replaced Dalembert with Asik for about the same cap hit.

DD

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

THank you!

we didn't get a deal, but we got fair value for something we badly needed. again, we are talking about a guy who averages 11 rebounds, 2 blocks, and a steal per 30 minutes. And ...he's a legit 7 footer. Camby/Asik is gonna be a hell of a tandem at the 5 spot. And what was our biggest problem the last couple of years? We couldn't defend the paint. Pretty logical; not crazy.

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Carl and Nike,

So the cap hit is 8.3 a season unless the Bulls match? If the Bulls match it then becomes 5 , 5.2 and 14.9 a season?

13. bigbodymoe

bigbodymoe Contributing Member

If Asik is in the fold, I think him and Pau in the front line has the potential to be ELITE defensively and on the glass. Pau then serves as your legit post up option, Asik as your dominating force defensively. Parsons on the wing, I'd actually keep Martin in this case (Offensive strength to balance defensive from Asik/Gasol/Parsons and Dragic as the orchestrator.

I think that lineup would dominate defensively and can be atleast avg offensively.

Moe

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am figuring out whom we can flip him for.......
    what a difference maker

15. JD88

JD88 Member

Great utilization of money... Not. Tank and save it for next year

16. deshen

deshen Member

Pretty good deal. Bulls will most likely match it.

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

Agreed.

Though I'm not sure an average of 8 mil / year is good for Asik.

And what exactly is the Arenas rule? Will this rule hold for all FA signings by any team for any player?

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

K.C Johnson: If Bulls match, which Gar Forman has consistently said the Bulls plan to do, guarantees Boozer would be amnestied for 2014-15 season.

Might not be a bad thing, ha.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yes, he's younger and he's a better all-around defender

And the knock on Dalembert was his inconsistent effort and questionable IQ. I'm not aware of Asik being criticized for those things.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

1. It is not a bad contract to HAVE because, for the purpose of calculating team salary under the salary cap, the contract counts as only $8.36 mil in the 3rd year (and each of the 2 other years, too) and not as $15 mil. It will not actually eat into the Rockets cap room to the tune of $15 mil at any point.

2. It will be a difficult contract to TRADE. My understanding is that, if Asik is traded, his salary will count as the actual amount paid to him each year-- so there's that $15 mil cap hit for the 3rd year. There are also other technical issues that makes the salary matching calculations in a future Asik trade difficult (outgoing salary, incoming salary kind of stuff).

Anyhow, what this means is that Asik's contract is pretty good for the Rockets cap-wise if he plays as well as he did in Chicago (in more minutes, of course) but we are pretty much committed to having him for 3 seasons.