1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OFFICIAL: Omer Asik a Houston Rocket (3 year/$25.1 million)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigbodymoe, Jul 1, 2012.

?

3-years, $25.1 million deal to Omer Asik -- is this a good deal for the Rockets?

1. YES

895 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. NO

446 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. quikkag

quikkag Contributing Member

Yeah! Those three guys he just drafted, too. Especially that Royce at 16.

2. munco

munco Member

i doubt we would've signed asik if we knew we'd lose out on Dragic and Lin. Asik is a nice piece if you have a playoff team in place but right now we're looking like tank city.

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Rockers could have signed Dragic regardless of Asik.

4. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

We haven't signed Asik to anything.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I believe yesterday was the last day that Chicago had to match Asik's offer from Houston. So..... I guess that means the deal is official unless anyone knows something that I dont???

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Nope. Offer can't officially be signed until the 11th. Bulls will have until the 14th to match.

7. dobro1229

ahhh... thats what I was thinking. Didnt know if they could match now or they had to wait.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

How old is Kyle?
    If we in rebuilding more.
    I think Scola and Martin have to be traded.
    Also . . . we have too many d*mn 4's

QUESTION: Is *any* position of the future on this team now?
    Who can you say . . . . ________________ is out _____ of the Future

Rocket River

9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

I realize I am just one voice in the wilderness, but this gets old.
    It is a form of racism and needs to crawl back under the rock from whence it came.

10. rockets06

rockets06 Member

If I'm not mistaken it's three days from when free agency starts, when players actually sign their contracts. So they'd have until the 14th to match the offer once players start signing on the 11th.

11. dobro1229

-As for Martin, its probably in everyone's best interest to root for the Rockets to keep him until the trading deadline in February when they should be able to get more in return for him. I know he's not the answer long term, but this is one where it will best suit the Rockets to be a little patient.

He's going into a contract year where you know he wants to try and get one last big payday. He's a big expiring contract. And lastly Lamb is very unproven on the NBA level, and it would be a great test to see if he can challenge a proven NBA SG for minutes for the first half of next season. Lamb will be better off having someone like Martin to challenge him for minutes in the first half of the season.

-As for Scola, he is the last Amnestiable contract left on their roster. I see him as a very low risk player to have on the roster who still has value to even a rebuilding roster. He's a great mentor for guys like Motiejunas and Parsons. If the other PF's on the roster are going to take the next step in their careers they have to take the challenge head on of beating out Scola for minutes.

That being said, its widely reported that the Rockets have actively been shopping Scola anyways. If a deal is out there that makes sense, he will be gone. If a deal is out there where they desperately needed salary cap space, he can be amnestied. Scola is a low risk, high reward player to keep around still.

12. dobro1229

Yep. Just got clarification on this earlier from Justtx. July 14th is the day.

13. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I would think the best arguments would be....

Parsons is the SF of the future for the Rockets.
    D-Mo is the PF of the future for the Rockets.
    Machado is the PG of the future for the rockets.

Yes, I honestly believe that is the order right now. And then there's potential with the 3 picks from this years draft.

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Thinking about it, I've ultimately decided that I really don't like the move. Morey has been so successful with the draft and trades, but I question his free agency decisions. Marcus Camby back makes so much more sense, and I think we could live with running out 2 PFs (Especially with the size of DMo, and the NBA's lack of quality centers) for 20 mpg while Camby is on the bench.

15. dobro1229

Not sure I agree with this Juicy. Age and injuries must be a concern with Camby going forward. Id love Camby back as a backup alongside another big ala Mutumbo in the latter years, but you really cant place your future in his hands.

Asik may not be the answer either, but he's young, already one of the best defensive centers in the league, and has plenty of room to improve offensively. I still think your going to see two PF types closing out games like last year. Asik provides too many weaknesses offensively & with his FT shooting now to close out games.

Still I personally believe he makes more sense on a rebuilding team than Camby just as a mentor. Camby as a full time starter isn't going to make this team a contender overnight.

16. Eps

Eps Member

dumbass murray, what a waste of ****ing money.
    hopefully the tix will sell for 2 dollars like the astros did just to get some of the fans back.

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Asik isn't going to make us a contender. When I watched him in Chicago, it was brutal. He is 26 years old, so he probably isn't going to get substantially better. Asik as what he was in Chicago (a backup playing 15mpg) is something I'd be happy with, but this is paying him to be a 30mpg player, which I can't see him justifying.

If neither Asik nor Camby is the long-term answer, I'd go with the one that costs less than half the other.

I'm still hoping for a run at Speights, who is 24 and a RFA.

18. dobro1229

Oh, I agree Asik is not the answer to make the team a contender, but if they are in rebuild mode, getting someone like him that is elite defensively, but raw offensively makes more sense then giving big money to Camby who is working his way to 40.

I see it as a gamble slightly long term, but with the positive being his defense & rebounding he offers as a consulation prize.

I like Speights and think he could be a great value contract since Memphis really cannot match anything above the lower MLE he should come at a reasonable price. However, Asik on a rebuilding team gives you a bigger swing for the fences if he's able to take a leap forward offensively.

With Speights, he's going to keep being very good at what he does, but he's not going to change over a franchise overnight. At least with Asik, there is some hope that he will at least turn into a top tier center, which is worth the gamble IMO.

Im with you though that he is tough to watch offensively. He's going to need alot of work this Summer if they can sign him on the 14th.

19. ejarts

ejarts Member

we need to keep camby to mentor the youngsters.

20. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Maybe be one voice in the wilderness but I can hear you loud and clear.