1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OFFICIAL: Omer Asik a Houston Rocket (3 year/$25.1 million)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigbodymoe, Jul 1, 2012.

?

3-years, $25.1 million deal to Omer Asik -- is this a good deal for the Rockets?

1. YES

895 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. NO

446 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah, but being in the East they fought crappy East teams more often then we did.

If we had played in the East our record would be higher than 35-31, just like a lot of the other West teams.

2. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

YES!!!! 14th pick again!!!

3. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

Yeah, I'm feeling like giving Orlando whatever they want to get Dwight. I think its the only move that will make us championship relevant again...as long as we keep Chandler and Donuts

4. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I didn't see that. Even then, Knicks were tied in 8th in the Western Conference.

I think the East is a lot stronger now than people give it credit for. I think it has just as many contenders in the Wast and just as many sub-par teams as the West.

Miami and OKC will see each other again the finals.
    Boston and San Antonio will again compete despite their age.
    LA Clippers and NY Knicks will continue to have all of the talent and not do anything with it.
    Indiana, Phillie, Atl will be as good as Memphis, Utah, and Denver.

Orlando will fall off. Dallas will not contend.

LA Lakers is the wild card team when comparing the two conferences.

Minny will improve in the West. Phx will improve.
    Toronto will improve. NJ will improve.

From top to bottom, I think they're comparable.

1 person likes this.
  5. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Read my post up there and it responds well to this as well.

I think what I am saying is an unpopular thing to say. I am okay if I am wrong. I am not that sold on it. I do believe the Lakers being the "wild-card" team and the Bobcats being the (historically) worst team in the league helps add weight in the scale of indifference to the West. But, the East, imho, is not as far off as they were three years ago where we were 9th in the west and would have finished something crazy like 6th in the East or something like that.

6. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

Where do the Rockets fit in?

7. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Rockets, as of right now, are bottom dwellers. You have one of the, if not the youngest team in the league and will probably still change some before the beginning of the season.

If we go into the season with this crew, we will have a team with 4 rookies, and a few second-year players along with a center who has played back up his whole career (assuming Bulls don't match, as planned).

We do have a lot of upside to our team, so that should not bother anyone. In fact, if we finish 2nd or 3rd worst in the league that would be great. I don't see us really ever finishing dead last. I assume we finish 6th or so (and pray the odds work to our favor for a top 3 pick) along with Raptors finishing pretty low as well.

We have a brighter future today than we did at the end of the last season though.

1 person likes this.
  8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Hence my comment "Less got what he wanted before the first jump". I just want more news about the Asik signing/matching. Unfortunately all I get is crap about a marginal starter at pg and nothing about a potential difference maker in the paint. But you're right, it sells papers.

9. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Yeah, I was agreeing with you. should have been clearer.

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Great post and all true. The joy of this season if we don't land D12 is the potential and the fact that we are going to be in prime position to get more prime talent in next years draft. Most likely we will have 2 lottery picks (if we don't land D12) to go along with the youth and talent that we have today. No treading in mediocrity this season.

11. Damion Laverne

Right in the middle! :p

12. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I can confidently say that in the middle is one place we will most DEFINITELY NOT be.

With Dwight (1/2 season) and some of those so-called bad contracts (contracts to players who can still play, btw) and some of our young talent, with Asik, Lin and whatever last piece or two Morey gets, will be top 5 in the West. If we are losing 75% of our games (with Dwight MIA) we just may very well tell Dwight to stay sitting out the rest of the season because we will still have our own pick.

Without Dwight, Bottom 5 (very generous) of the West

13. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I know you were probably joking though :)

14. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

You are underestimating the Mavs this year. They just acquired Elton brand, Kaman, Darren Collison, and OJ Mayo. They are pretty stack from top to the bottom including these guys. If Dirk gets back to his old MVP form they will be tough to beat with the new solid addition they added.

15. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Thanks!

It is truly a win/win situation. I have a feeling we have gained some of the leverage on the Dwight situation (doesn't mean it will materialize because of that).

That being said, almost 90% of Morey's moves have been in his favor and I don't see him getting desperate to set this team back another 5 years.

I know Doc Rocket's post didn't come to realization but he did say something to the effect of "either way we will be happy."

That's how I feel coming into this season.

16. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Still not better than San Antonio, OKC, Lakers or Clippers, IMO.

You may mention their additions but don't forget their subtractions. Jason Terry was a HUGE part of that team. More important than a lot of their starters. Jason Kidd (take away Kidd and there goes Marion's game as well) also was huge in their winning a championship. Go back two years ago when they won and they lost JJ and Chandler as well. They are not really the same team.

Although I think that is a pretty solid team, I do not see them getting past any of the teams mentioned above.

I do not believe I am under estimating them when I state that they will NOT be contending.

17. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

Let the countdown begin!!! even tho it started already

18. cardpire

cardpire Member

no crazier than wanting to go into the season with Omer Asik as the starting center.

19. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

[​IMG]

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It may be crazier, but not much. Can't figure out why people are so excited about this. He's an improvement over Patterson in that he's actually a center. that's about it. Patterson's rookie season is the best of either in their careers thus far.