1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Kenneth Zuckerman, Brooks Reed's agent: "From the looks of things there's a good chance Brooks will not be back with the Texans."</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/573928367415820289" data-datetime="2015-03-06T19:29:20+00:00">March 6, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And that's a GOOD thing.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

No, for a WR1 that will catch 80+ balls. Hopkins can catch the 50 some odd balls that would go his way.

Hopkins is great, but he's never had a defense focus on him. Jury is still out on his status as a #1...Marshall, on the other hand, is a true #1 and one of the best in the business.

This team would be infinitely better with Marshall, Hopkins, and wr3 than Hopkins and whoever else we decide to throw in there.

For 7 million, yes it's definitely worth it.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If this were a video game and player personality didn't matter then sure. Brandon Marshall would find himself cut if he were on the Texans because I highly doubt BOB would put up with his BS. He belongs in NY as a Jet.

5. Commodore

hrmm...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Jets?src=hash">#Jets</a> are expected to release WR Percy Harvin, sources say. Not a surprise given today’s Brandon Marshall trade. Will have an active market</p>&mdash; Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/573939253773631488">March 6, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. rezdawg

Great coaches can handle those personalities...that's how BB was able to make it work with Randy Moss.

If you don't trust your coach to work the personalities of a locker room, you have the wrong coach. At least, you shouldn't shun players away bc you hear they might be hard to deal with.

While we're on the topic, this means that Harvin will probably be released from the Jets. He's a dynamic play maker that I'd love to have...I trust BOB enough to be able to deal with him.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's intriguing but isn't he a headcase as well? He would certainly fit the mold as a Welker type slot guy that we seem to be looking for.

8. Commodore

gonna have to overpay for any of these WRs because of uncertainty at QB

9. conquistador#11

if harvin was a good teammate, he'd be a nice addition. then again, if he was a good teammate he wouldn't be cut. i've forgotten what a kick return looks like.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No coach is a miracle worker though and Marshall doesn't fit the mold as the type of WR we are looking for.

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

If, as you say, Hopkins is "great," why would you waste $7.7MM to upgrade when you havesoooo many other pressing priorities above WR?

And.. I don't think this offense is going to be built around two outside WRs. The model looks to be the '07 + '11 Patriots: Moss-, Welker- and Gronk-types, along with Foster will be the featured pass catchers.

He racked up 1,200 yards last year; I don't think Hopkins has been flying under anyone's radar. He's generally considered one of the best young WRs in football. And *let* defenses focus on him; opens everything else up. That's what you do in today's NFL: exploit match-ups.

Not based on how we think BOB will use his WR2. If they put Hartline in the slot and upgrade their TE, as we suspect, the second WR is going to essentially be a very fast afterhought. Given the team's needs, dumping $7.7MM into it (and for a headache, no less) is a poor allocation of resources.

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

He'd be on his third team in five months... yeah, I'd say he's a headcase....

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's what I thought. Well at least if you were going to take a chance on someone it should be someone that fits the type of player you are looking for. I still probably say no though.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Good. Guy hasn't made a play since his rookie year. Just because you look like Clay Matthews doesn't mean you are....

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

Might have saved his career if they moved him to ILB.

16. Remii

Remii Member

They're properly going to have to overpay for just about any talented player at any position who has other options. But they may could get their hands on someone like Wilfork at a reasonable price because of the Romeo connection.

17. mario_v

mario_v Member

Lol, I remember prior to the 2012 season, Peter king had brooks reed as the DPOY.

He was way off on that prediction. He probably thought he was clay Matthews 2.0.

18. rezdawg

If you want to follow the Patriots plan...you don't have Hopkins take Randys role... You plug Marshall in at that spot. Marshall is superior to Hopkins in every way. Hopkins got his numbers largely bc of Andre taking so much attention away from him. The tape showed it over and over.

19. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Torrey Smith and Michael Crabtree are two intriguing free agents to me. I think either would solid look good opposite Hopkins.

20. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

saw schaub, meyers, kevin walter, OD and cush at local pour last night... walked in pretty non-chalantly, don't even think that many people recognized them.

i guess most of those guys still call houston home.