1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Remii

Remii Member

Reports say he was willing to take a pay cut last year to the team the Texans traded him to... If they would have traded him.

He was willing to take a pay cut for any team but the Texans and that's understandable considering how they bent him over with his 1st contract extension.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

No, he wouldn't. Do you know how many WRs went 100/1,400 last year? Four. Andre Johnson wouldn't rank among the top... 20-25 WRs in football right now. His days of 100/1,400 are long gone - unless he went to a team like... Oakland and they threw to him 4 million times.

Not to mention, what elite QB, other than Tom Brady, doesn't already have a better option than AJ?

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

The Texans never did Andre wrong. Andre's agent did Andre wrong, if anything.

There is no reason why AJ should have animosity towards the Texans, they accommodated him throughout his tenure as a Texan.

4. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

If Andre Johnson actually goes to the Colts, I swear to all things holy I will lose my marbles...

5. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Honestly, your killing me Andre. Just straight up killing me. There's something about going to your division rival when you've spent almost your ENTIRE CAREER AS A TEXAN that I find quite disturbing. The Pats, the Raiders, or even the freaking Browns, but please not the Colts. I know I have no say in wherever he chooses to play, but if he actually wen't to the Colts, my entire view of Andre as a whole probably wouldn't change, but I definitely would question it...

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Well word was Peyton wanted to come to the Texans

Rocket River

7. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Well I... uh... Hmm. That actually helped me calm down a bit. Thanks lol.

8. Remii

Remii Member

The Texans got away with murder when they did his second contract. The Texans had a bad look regardless on if AJ's uncle was the agent which is why they gave him a different contract so they could save face. That's why there's a huge discrepancy in the earnings between AJ and Fitzgerald.

So there is reason why AJ might feel some animosity... Which may be obvious since he refused to take a pay cut to stay with the Texans.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Long gone? He got 1,400 the season before last. Then Fitz came to the helm.

I don't think Andre is elite (who is at his age) but probably has a lot left.

IMO that surgery that he had for his hamstring so he could be ij the playoffs vs Bengals slowed him down permanently.

1 person likes this.
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Everybody has one last great season... before they don't anymore.

Everybody is not that far removed from their last great season.

History, statistics, and his overall trend suggests he won't put up all-pro numbers ever again... and certainly not going to live up to a $16 million dollar cap hit.

11. Mr. Clutch

I'm just arguing that its not "long gone"

12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Not sure if you consider them elite but think you can argue that AJ would be a better option for Russell Wilson and Phillip Rivers than Doug Baldwin and Malcolm Floyd.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But what does that mean? If a guy is in regression, he's in regression. Its, in fact, gone... whether it was recent or "long" doesn't really make a difference.

If a player regressed due to injury (that is fully recoverable) or personal issues that's another story. All players "lose it" eventually , some in a drastic fashion in some cases.

Now again, I'm not saying he's washed up... but to use stats he put up 2 years ago as a defense for his cap figure, should make absolutely zero difference given his age and how he's performing right now.

Also, like I said in the other thread talking about this... even Calvin Johnson is unlikely to be worth his cap figure, and he's a WR in his prime who hasn't "lost it" yet... and in part because of his cap figure, the Lions had to jettison a young destructive D-lineman that probably has more productive years ahead of him than Megatron.

14. Mr. Clutch

I'm not defending his cap figure. Just saying he was still putting up elite numbers recently

15. awc713

awc713 Member

Anybody think there's any chance we reel in Suh or Ngata?

That front line would make people forget about the Dre drama pretty quickly...

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Randy Moss' final full season in NE he had 1200 yards and 13 TD receptions. Sometimes the end comes suddenly.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Of the two, I'd want Suh because he probably still has 3 or 4 good years left, I'd pass on Ngata unless he was cheap because he's already 31 years old and likely looking to get one last really big paycheck.

18. Mr. Clutch

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Different discussion

19. Mr. Clutch

Do we really need to add more DL busts to our team?

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Floyd is Rivers' 3rd WR (technically 4th, behind Allen, Royal and Gates). I think Rivers is doing OK.

AJ would undoubtedly be the best WR on Seattle's roster - but that's a run-first team that's gone to back-to-back Super Bowls with fairly scrubby WRs so why pay for one? Especially because they're about to pay Russell Wilson (in addition to a lot of other young players with expiring rookie deals).

Everyone needs to keep in mind, AJ would be a Texan in 2015 if the team had guaranteed his $10.5MM salary in 2015. Money is the rub here. He probably wants to play for a winner, sure. But he's probably going to have to take a pretty deep cut to make it happen - it'll be interesting to see if he's willing to do that.