1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

My two cents.

White helmets are an abomination.

I've been hoping for the blue jersey/red pants look since they introduced the red alternates.

I hate the sleeves on road set and the home alternates, but LOVE the sock stripes.

All the uniforms in the second spoiler are terrible.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

...because the more teams that are interested, the more money will be paid

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think there will be more to his decision than just money though. If you are a QB that goes to the Jets, you just signed your death warrant. I'm pretty sure he knows that. It's not quite Cleveland, but close.

6. Cannonball

But the article simply says that they'd be "intrigued" at bringing him in to COMPETE with the other QBs. They're not going to bid a lot on a guy to just come in and compete for a job.

Let's not pretend that nobody else was going to express at least some interest in Mallett. So now that somebody has, it changes nothing. It might drive the price up some, but not a lot. If he wasn't going to get paid "a lot" before, he's not going to get paid "a lot" now.

The interest level of Jets is likely similar to that of the Texans. So you'd expect them to make similar offers.

Now, if the article quoted somebody saying they were very interested in bringing him in to be the sure fire starter, then I'd start worry about the price being driven up. But this? Nah.

7. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Mallet is only going to go to another team if the Texans allow it. Texans are allowed to offer him a contract before any other team, if they want him he'll be signed before they get a chance. If they don't, then you'll see him hit free agency. They absolutely do not want a bidding war, and if they feel as though that may take place, they get it done before it's possible. Need to continue to get this cap situation under control.

1 person likes this.
  8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I don't believe that's true; not unless they franchise him. He's an unrestricted free agent. The Texans are granted no special priviledges other than having greater access to him in the early hours of free agency.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They also have the advantage of him knowing the system and having coaches he's worked with. Unless a better team comes along (spoiler alert:
    the Jets are by no means a better team in any way
    ) or some team is willing to pay him a ridiculous amount of money, I think he stays here.

10. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

The thing that I did disagree with in the article was that it was upbeat on bringing Mallett in there "on the cheap" - that, I do not see happening.

11. Cannonball

Yes, but Mallett technically isn't a free agent until March 10. Other teams can't contact him until then. But right now, he's still under contract with the Texans and as such, I believe we are free to negotiate a contract with him. Right? So yes, if we want him and we don't want to get into a bidding war, then I think we can try to wrap him up some time in the next month.

#631 Cannonball, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  12. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

With Mallett the Texans either need to say that's our guy going forward and pay him accordingly or just let him hit free agency and not even worry about making an offer. There is no sense in paying him 4-5 million to be a back up.

If the Texans are not convinced about Mallett at this point than they may be better off rolling with Fitz, Savage and an early round draft pick.

13. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

So you don't think someone like Nick Foles could put up a better first year in OB's system than Ryan Fitzpatrick?

14. solid

solid Contributing Member

Please, no "rolling" with Fitz. I don't think I can take it. I don't think the fan base can take it. Depressing to even think about.

15. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

A horrifying thought indeed. I'm sure Andrew Luck wouldn't mind.

16. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

I think Mallet is a bit more partial to BOB and the Texans. Dude knows he is going to be first string if we don't go after anyone else.

17. Cannonball

I'm actually fine with it. I don't think Mallett is the answer. He's just another stopgap. The ultimate goal of the game is to get a franchise QB. Whether they keep the same stopgap or move on to another one makes little difference to me. We'll still be searching for a QB regardless.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But you have to admit you know more of what Fitz is vs. what Mallett is.

Even if Mallett only wins you one more game than Fitz... that's likely the difference between this team making and not making the playoffs.

Coupled with this coaching staff's ability to develop opponent-specific schemes, I'd take our chances in any playoff game (hell, Crenel's defense had Luck/Indy pegged in that second game... just unfortunate that we had zero healthy QB's).

1 person likes this.
  19. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

You are correct sir. Like I said, if the Texans really do want him, they can sign him now, before FA begins, and prevent any unwanted inflation of his contract.

20. pocketrocket81