1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Dec 30, 2014.

1. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

don't tell that to dumb & dumber (bigtexxx/bobby).

2. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

I only referenced (and never said was "vitally important")the Pro-Bowl because people that weren't Texans fans got to see how dominant he actually is instead of hearing about it, but I guess that's just how it is over here. You show a little bit of optimism, and BAM, people on here come with this gloom and doom outlook and straight crap on your opinion. Whatever. I still think JJ is deserving of MVP in my opinion. Before I knew about JJ, I used to be that kid playing Baseball, spending my time in the little leagues, no one giving me a real chance, but then he soon changed my life. I go out now, I take showers, and i'm the Home Run Derby champion. JJ gives me strength when I am weak. JJ brings me up when im feeling down. JJ is love, JJ is life.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Settle down, Francis. Don't be so sensitive. You wondered if his Pro Bowl performance would be "more icing on the cake" in his MVP quest (thereby lending it far more importance than it ever deserved), and the answer is no. It will have zeropointzero bearing because votes were submitted four weeks ago.

4. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

I thought it was kinda obvious that my post was 90% sarcastic. Even though I'm not as old as some here, I'm a grown man. I can handle criticism and correcting(but stupidity does not fall into that category). Even though the Pro-Bowl will have zero effect on his MVP status, I think this type of game opened the eyes of Non-Texans fans, showing them how truly dominant he really is.

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

foles was almost 61% completion, 6TDm 5 int, and 43QBR in 7 games. TB was better but not by a huge amount of 64%, 14tds, 12ints and a 50.2 QBR.

Clearly TBs numbers were/are better, but Foles' were not so bad that he would be warranted to be called "horrible".

I don't know if Foles is the guy, but he certainly has plenty of success to make him a viable candidate given the texans situation.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'd shoot for Niles Paul, Royal/Welker and avoid WR/TE in the draft unless Dorial Green-Beckham is around in the 5th.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Not really. The philosophy with the Texans, as it is with many teams, it to take BPA regardless of need. Hell, some have us taking Todd Gurley in the 1st despite having Arian Foster. I don't think it's so much indicative of our roster as it is the potential variety of options we'll have available at our pick. And we're deep enough in the 1st round that it's somewhat unpredictable who'll be available when we pick. So you look at 20 mocks, especially at this point, and you're going to get a bunch of different predictions.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

The Texans always claim to be a BPA philosophy team, but based on their first round draft picks, it has always, always...been a position of great need.

Clowney, Mercilus, Kareem, Hopkins, Brown, Watt...

Those positions were all glaring holes on the team when they were picked. The same holds true for our 2nd round picks as well.

The team has consistently chosen to select players that fit positions of need, rather than BPA. Rick Smith is full of crap when he mentions the philosophy of how this team drafts because it has never once held true, unless we are talking about later rounds in the draft.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I can agree with most of this. Also a factor is that it's so incredibly early and we don't know what might happen in FA before the draft. It's hard to predict what the Texans' real needs will be.

11. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He says something to that effect every year, and every year we somehow get a player who fills a need in the first round. I do think in the later rounds, he'll draft multiple players at a position based on their board (TEs, CBs, etc.)

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

BPA only applies if the player on the board is better than the player on the roster. Even if the BPA is a QB, no way the Patriots pick him in the 1st round; especially if they have a need at a different position. The BPA applies because that player could be better than the player whose spot he will be taking. Hence, it is a need.

13. Remii

Remii Member

According to whom...??? The player on the roster could be old, or a soon to be free agent, or soon to be cut. And you can't always expect a rookie to be better than a veteran out the gate. Every team's situation could be different. Some teams might draft best player available just for depth.

But the Patriots have spent early picks on QBs... They drafted Mallet in the 3rd round (which was early considering they have Brady) and passed up on guys they could have actually used. Like Julius Thomson and Jordan Cameron. But sometimes it works out that the position of need could end up being the best player available and it has worked out that way for the Texans a few times with their 1st round picks.

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

The Texans don't have the luxury to use a 1st round pick on depth. Most teams don't actually.

The Patriots did not spend a 1st round pick on a QB so you are making my point for me. Every team's draft board is different so you can't tell. And some 1st round draft picks end up not being better than the player on the roster but I would imagine that wasn't the expectation. For instance, Manziel was drafted because the thought was that he was better than Hoyer.

15. Remii

Remii Member

You completely missed my point about Mallet...

And the Texans do have the luxury to draft for depth with the expectation of that player eventually becoming a starter... Like Gurley or Gordon for example. The Giants drafted OBJ but that wasn't necessarily a position of need for them and the same with the Rams when they drafted Donald... They went BPA.

You do know Cleveland had two 1st round picks last year right...??? And both looked like hot garbage and both were positions of need. And the Texans drafted for need last year as well.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

It's not a matter of the player eventually becoming a starter. If the team thinks Gurley > Foster and draft him, it doesn't matter if they decide to bring Gurley along slowly. They are not drafting him for depth. According to NFL.COM, WR was a need for the Giants. The Rams drafted Donald as their 2nd 1st round pick. Their first pick was definitely for need.

I don't think the Texans drafted for need last year, not in the first round. I guess some could argue OLB was a position of need but I thought they had other positions that represented greater need.

17. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

If I were betting, I'd bet Coach BOB takes Max Williams. Any guess is a long shot but a Patriot system guy will be looking for his own Gronk.

18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Not at 16.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps they had other positions that represented greater need, but if there's not high caliber players available to fill those spots, you have to take BPA at a position of need. For example, most of us would consider QB a higher need last year, but there wasn't any QB's in last year's class that would have fixed that need so they went with a different position. They still drafted for need, but they kept the players on the board in mind at the same time.

20. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

According to NFL rumors, The Texans and Titans are drawing buzz as potential trade suitors for Eagles QB Nick Foles.