1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Official] Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Dec 30, 2014.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

People go into watching Texans game with the expectation that the person behind center play like an elite QB. When you go in with that mentality, every hope is shattered. Fact of the matter is that Fitz put up a 2:1 TD to INT ratio, had a rating in the mid 90s and a YPA of 8…you don't just stumble upon those numbers when you suck. I'd like to see one QB in the history of the NFL put up those numbers for the majority of the season, but being considered ****ty.

Russell Wilson had the exact same completion percentage, less YPA, and a slightly less QB rating. There were plenty of "good" QBs who put up numbers that weren't as efficient as Fitz last season.

Yes, Fitz leaves a lot to be desired and he doesn't have the skill set to carry a team to victory…but why would anyone have that expectation of him in the first place…the majority of QBs in the NFL don't have that ability.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would have never expected Fitz to have done as well as he did last season. He probably doesn't have another season like that in him, but he worked as a stop gap QB which is all anyone wanted him for anyway.

3. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Just shows how important a good coach and his system works. And yet the Coach still got rid of Fitzpatrick. Hmmmmmmm I wonder why? Can you two great football minds explain that to yours truly? One more question, why did Coach speed up the offense with Mallett verses Fitzpatrick?

Also if Coach was able to get that type of production out of Fitzpatrick, shouldn't we be excited about what he will get out of either Mallett or Hoyer?

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yet another post suggesting that I care what happens to Ryan Fitzpatrick or that I think he should have stayed.....just weird.

I have high hopes for what BOB can get out of Mallett...not so much Hoyer, he's nothing more than veteran insurance, someone who has a fairly low ceiling. Hopefully though, it won't matter because Mallett should take the starting job and run with it.

5. jbasket

jbasket Member

As far as I am concerned, I believe that neither Fitzpatrick nor Bridgewater are on the Texans. And this is a Texans off season thread.

Can you please, for the love of CF, take that to the other forum? Stop talking about it here. Please. Stop responding.

Please. Pretty please.

6. rezdawg

Again, why are you expecting Fitz to be elite…or rather, why do you assume I feel that Fitz is elite?

I'll answer this question for the hundredth time.

Fitzpatrick has no future on the team because he''ll be turning 33 this season. There is ZERO future as a Texan because he's not the kind of QB that can carry the team…and if the Texans want to start building a winning franchise, they need to find someone young that can stick around at QB for a decade or more. And what does speeding up the offense have to do with anything? Given that it was Mallett's first career start, it made sense to have plays that were designed around quick, short throws.

And yes, I would expect Mallett/Hoyer to put up some good numbers. If they do or don't, then it really doesn't prove anything. Fitzpatrick's numbers are carved in stone…and given what he was brought in to do, he performed above expectations (except for those group of fans that cry and moan when their QB isn't playing like Aaron Rodgers).

7. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Who in their right mind expected Fitz to be elite? Better how in the world did you read elite in my questions to you and Bobby? My thing is the Coach and his system was able to get the best out of Fitz and that's it. Therefore bringing up his stats knowing darn well it a very good chance under another coach and his system he will revert back to the old Fitz.

Coach dummy downed his play book for Ole Fitz, that's why his stats were bloated. Yes he played alright in some games but the grand scheme of things like you said he couldn't get us over the hump.

8. rezdawg

So are you telling me Coach OB dumbed down the offense enough to give Fitz a YPA of 8 yards? Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds? He dumbed down the offense and gave his QB the 4th best yards per attempt in the league, lol. Imagine if Cincy, Chicago, Carolina, Detroit, etc…all dumbed down their offenses so that their QBs didn't make critical mistakes, but yet, threw for better percentages and yards…stupid coaches, if they only knew how easy it would be to have a 2:1 ratio, with a YPA of 8, and a rating in the mid 90s.

Do you know why Fitz had the crappy numbers he had before coming to Houston? Because he played in crappy weather his entire career, along with little talent, both on the roster and on the staff.

Again, why can't Fitz just be an average NFL QB? Why does he always get called out as being one of the worst starters in the NFL? And why would anyone have any expectation of Fitz doing more than he did for the Texans? When he was signed, nobody expected him to do anything, yet he did something…and played his heart out, so there should be much more respect given to him than he gets on this board.

9. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

What does crappie weather have to with anything? Man stop with the lame excuses lol. Kelly thrived in Buffalo in that same crappie weather. Favre and Rodgers as well as several other QB'S have and is doing well in that crappie weather.

We already agreed on nobody expecting Fitz to do what he did. That's why I said it was the freaking system and the coach dummy the plays down so that he doesn't turn it over like we all know he was accustomed to doing.

10. rezdawg

LOL, you just proved my point! Why are you comparing him to elite, Hall of Fame quarterbacks???

If you think cold, windy weather doesn't have any impact on a quarterback, why don't you go and ask Peyton Manning.

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Teddy will only get better, not sure what Bobby is smoking. The best part is that after the game all he could talk about was how he could continue improving. Teddy has a winner's mentality.

12. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

You can compare every QB to each other. Again stop making excuses for why he was freaking horrible.

13. Buck Turgidson

So here yall are again, 1 season later, still arguing about Teddy ****ing Bridgewater and Ryan Fitzpatrick, generally making this forum unreadable.

Good work.

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Don't forget about how AJ sucks now. Some people can't move on.

15. Airdough

Airdough Member

As painful at it will make this board, the Teddy tracking (and to a lesser extent Carr and Jimmy) will continue because the Texans passed on him in the draft. I didn't agree with it at the time and still don't.

The issue is that some on here take that as Texans bashing and feel the need to defend the team at all costs. I hope Teddy does well just as I hope XSF puts it together and can fulfill his All-Pro potential or at least being someone PFF grades out as an annual top 10 guard.

Since this is an offseason thread and the new league season has started, this thread can probably be closed and we can focus on the 2015 Texans.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He had one fluke year in a very QB friendly system. His career numbers are Mark Sanchez and David Carr level.

If he really was as good as those numbers indicate he wouldn't be backing up Geno Smith.

It was quite obvious there was a lot of fools gold from him last year.

Or maybe you guys know more than Bill OBrien and don't think he should have been benched?

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Bobby, one point it was kind of funny when you would think we are all some kind of Bridgewater fan despite all the evidence to the contrary, but now it's just sad. If you have some sort of handicap let me know because if it's not your fault, I want to know that.

18. conquistador#11

i ran into mallet at a midnight buffet, he basically told me: the balder they are the harder they fall. F' a hoyer! take it for what it's worth.

yeay preseason is here. smoothing sailing from here on out, except that fourth game and the one week wait after that, which feels like 2 months.

19. mick fry

mick fry Member

That's messed up cuz a buddy of mines' cousin talked with Savage in the wee morning hours at a bowling alley who said " F Mallett and Hoyer and that by seasons end this would be his team!"

20. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

At least no one is mentioning Manziel. I got a guy here at work who still thinks the Texans made a mistake not drafting JFF first overall.