1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Dec 30, 2014.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

BOB always talks bad about rookies. He likes to tear them down then build them back up again. It's the patriot way.

I wouldn't worry too much about anything he says about any rookie in OTAs.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I pretty clearly remember you bashing Andre and Savage last year. Terrible fan.

Nothing wrong with predicting wins.

Who was the other one you bashed, Xavier?

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't remember "bashing" anyone. I certainly commented on how Dre played poorly for his standards and how it was clear that he was either in serious decline or simply didn't care anymore....or both, but that's not "bashing" him.

As to Savage, I never bashed him either, I just said he wasn't ready....and he wasn't.

I don't generally "bash" players....but I could see how uninformed individuals could view an honest and accurate evaluation as "bashing".

4. Mr. Clutch

And yet that doesn't stop you from accusing others of " bashing " the Texans

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The difference is accuracy. I accused those who were predicting a 4 win season last year of bashing the Texans because there wasn't an intelligent analysis that would suggest that outcome likely. The same goes for others who make similarly pessimistic stances that go against reason.

I don't generally accuse people are "bashing" anyone when they can intelligently defend their position.

6. Airdough

Airdough Member

Based on what we have at QB, this very well could be a 4 win team. Last years team won 9 games because they did a better job of not turning the ball over and generated many more turnovers. It's the latter that you can't count on year to year to be there. There's a fine line between taking the next step to 10+ wins and falling off a cliff. The 2005, 2010 and 2013 Texans are great examples of that.

7. Mr. Clutch

Accuracy? You said Fitzpatrick was an above average QB and Bridgwater was a terrible pick.

Just two off the top of my head.

Also if accuracy is the measure, Rick Smith is a terrible Texans fan

#3087 Mr. Clutch, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, it really couldn't.

So I said a QB who finished 9th in the NFL last season in QB rating was "above average"? Oh the scandal.

I suggested that picking a QB first overall, that went 32nd overall and finished 22nd in the NFL in QB rating that for most of the season had more interceptions than passing TD's, was a bad idea? Oh how embarrassing.

The top of your head isn't very good.

9. Mr. Clutch

I think hoyer is better than fitz

10. Mr. Clutch

You also gave last year's draft an A

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

A good example of why you should never give your opinion about QB's. Like ever.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes....and?

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Last year's draft

1. Jadeveon Clowney (OLB--South Carolina) - Injured most of the season, should be able to start making an impact this season as a starter

2. Xavier Su'a-Filo (OG--UCLA) - Got some playing time, looked like a rookie, should be a starter this season

3. C.J. Fiedorowicz (TE--Iowa) - Started coming on towards the end of last season, should make an impact as a starter this season

3. Louis Nix (NT--Notre Dame) - Injured/out of shape last season, getting early props this season, could be the future starting NT after Wilfork is gone.

4. Tom Savage (QB--Pittsburgh) - Looked terrible when he had to play last season, as expected, still a project but not many expect much from him ever.

6. Jeoffrey Pagan (DE--Alabama) - Didn't play much, didn't do much, he'll need to take a step forward this season if he wants to stick.

6. Alfred Blue (RB--LSU) - Solid but unspectacular rookie season, played probably more than we wanted him to

6. Jay Prosch (FB--Auburn) - Day one starter, still the starter. Performed well.

7. Andre Hal - Possibly making the switch to safety, he's someone to watch in camp this season

7. Lonnie Ballentine (DB--Memphis) - Another guy to watch in camp this season, is a physical freak. The team thought enough of him to IR stash him rather than cut him.

How is that not a good draft haul? I mean, we can't completely judge it yet, but that's a ton of potential and Clowney hasn't really gotten to play much yet.

14. Mr. Clutch

I think you made a pretty good case for why it's not.

Anyways, my point is "accuracy" doesn't matter for being a Texans fan. None of us are accurate.

If we were, we'd be working in the NFL or gambling, not posting on a basketball message board.

15. Mr. Clutch

We'll see.

16. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

SOS is a factor as well.

With BOB's tutelage and nearly 2 drafts worth of players, there shouldn't be huge decline.

Future is bright.

17. Airdough

Airdough Member

The future is bright if Mallet can become at least Flacco 2.0. He's just as likely to be Orton 2.0. One start in Cleveland isn't a big enough sample to give real hope the future is bright. Been a long time since the Dilfers of the world were leading Super Bowl winners.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah but given that teams with the Flacco's and Wilson's of the world are able to win super bowls with defense and the run game, it's terribly dated to believe that the end all be all is the QB spot. Hell, when the Steelers won it for the first time with Roethlisberger it was one of the worst QB performances in SB history, but the defense and running game made that irrelevant.

19. Airdough

Airdough Member

Are you winning a Super Bowl with a Fitz or Hoyer level QB? That's the only answer that matters. Unfortunately, unless another 1983 bumper crop of quarterbacks comes, you are going to need a top 15 pick to get your QB. To get a pick that high, you have to suck. In the history of the draft, guys like Brees, Brady, Wilson, Rodgers, and Flacco are anomalies. Not that it isn't just as much of a crapshoot picking a QB really high but this roster isn't proven enough to carry mediocre QB play.

This isn't about Teddy or Blake, it's about having a QB with a higher ceiling than what you have now. If Mallet is that guy, then it's the greatest coup ever.

20. Airdough

Airdough Member

It isn't about the performance in the game but in the performances that got the team there. Flacco carried his team to victory, playoff Flacco is real and Bill Barnwell detailed that information. Wilson still performs at a high level for his team and is a huge part of why they almost went back to back. You couldn't put Hoyer on either of those teams and expect to win Super Bowls. This defense and running game isn't equivalent to that Seattle team either yet.