1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Dash

Dash Member

2. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Stevie Brown tells me he's agreed to terms with the Houston Texans. Former Giants safety officially moves on.</p>&mdash; Kimberly Jones (@KimJonesSports) <a href="https://twitter.com/KimJonesSports/status/593528139310989312">April 29, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Good signing. Will probably start next to Moore.

3. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Kendricks is undersized but I think on the verge of really busting out to be a top MLB. I wish the Eagles-Texans connection was greased enough that a 3rd would swing it. Otherwise our only hope that late would be Paul Dawson, and I'd be scared of another Sam Montgomery happening.

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...QQFjAD&usg=AFQjCNF2lVWEwQmabZgRWXhUE7mV_p2uVQ

Paul Dawson on Paul Dawson. I think he's the right kind of crazy. He's angry and intense and will probably piss off a few teammates.. Montgomery was lazy, sullen an disinterested. I'm praying he slides to the third an they can pick him up. If they took him in the 2nd I'd be worried, but I'd be OK.

He's a bad dude in the same way those Ray Lewis Ravens teams we're full of bad dudes and thugs.

Montgomery didn't care about football. Dawson wants to be great.

MLB IS about instincts, and the two guys with instincts are Dawson and Kendricks. Nobody ever accused Montgomery of being "the best" at anything.

#2904 Ottomaton, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Stevie Brown's deal with the Texans is for one year, per <a href="https://twitter.com/JordanRaanan">@JordanRaanan</a>. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/giants?src=hash">#giants</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/texans?src=hash">#texans</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/nyg?src=hash">#nyg</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NFL?src=hash">#NFL</a></p>&mdash; Giants 101 (@Giants_101) <a href="https://twitter.com/Giants_101/status/593535152065646592">April 29, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I like these signings.

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Was Stevie Brown the one Pancakes kept saying wouldn't be here because he was injured? I think it was. Wrong again, Pancakes. Wrong again.

That said, I don't think he's guaranteed a starting spot or anything. He missed 2013 with a torn ACL and was only "meh" after returning.

8. Two Sandwiches

He's a potential high reward but small risk signing.

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I heard there was this one guy who got in a car accident with his 3 friends in the car. He wasn't wearing a seat belt, was thrown from the car, and didn't have a scratch. The three friends wearing their seat belt died when the car burst into flames and they couldn't release their belt.

It it clear from this anecdotal evidence that you should never wear a seat belt. It's way too dangerous.

Success rate for microstructure surgery is notoriously low, and the common perception is that 1st year back is a wash. I have no statistical proof for the latter, but the best off the cuff medical journal statistics I can find vary between 40% and 75% depending on who is in charge of the study, and exactly what threshold qualifies as "recovery". There is, for instance, a study of NBA "successes" that shows a drastic reduction in statistical production after recovery.

So actually I do have a pretty good basis for an opinion.

Of course, you so completely tied your horse to Clowney last year that he could die tomorrow, and the farthest you'd go is that the jury is still out on how good he'll be.

And if you want to search Chron.com, I'm sure you'll find at the glowingly positive articles about his recovery in the archive.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I would be burning up the Eagles phone right now about trading for Kendricks.

11. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Speaking of which, I had a patient yesterday...not a professional athlete, but a guy in his 30s that is in great shape and very active. He tore his meniscus last year and I know he had a much slower recovery than doctors had told him. He said that throughout the process, the doctors kept telling him he'll recover at a quicker pace than what actually took place in real life. In any case, he showed up to the office yesterday for his 6 month cleaning. I hadnt seen him since his last appointment, but at this point, he should have been "healed". Simply put, he wasnt. He said that he still has issues with his knee and that some days, after he does heavy exercises, he'll walk with a little limp. Now, for the most part, he's good...but he even brought up Clowney's name yesterday saying that it'll be interesting to see how soon he can come back...and if he does come back, how well his knee will hold up for the long haul.

Here's to hoping that Clowney is an exception to the rule.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Of course if you throw out the reason why overall microfracture surgeries have a low success rate, such as the fact that it is often done as a "last resort", then I could understand your position.

If you really knew what you were talking about, you'd know that the factors relevant to Clowney's recovery are the size of the injured area, and the location of the injured area. Just about nothing else matters. Since neither you or I know the size of the injured area or specific location of the injured area, we have no basis for comparison to other microfracture cases.....which was my point.

Again, I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other because there is simply not enough information available to form a strong, intelligent opinion one way or the other. Those who do have a strong opinion as to his recovery are basing it on a sense of optimism or pessimism because there's nothing else legitimate to base it on at this point.

13. Two Sandwiches

On the flip side, I (I'm not a professional athlete) tore mine completely through the anterior horn of the medial meniscus. Shortly after I tore it, like within a week, I mixed out on squats. Hurt like crazy but I did it. I kept working out and the pain went away. Six years later, it started bothering me, so I had it removed. I was playing softball within three weeks. No problems since. I can do squats, leg presses, etc.

Just furthering the point that every case is different. (Which I know you know)

14. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

And then draft Eric Kendricks? Kendricks brothers at LB for 10 years.

15. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Clown post bro. I mean it must be 50-50 he even survives this injury. Haven't you read the experts in this thread?

16. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Chris Mortensen reports that <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a> are fielding trade offers for CB Jonathan Joseph &amp; <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cardinals?src=hash">#Cardinals</a> are listening to offers for Michael Floyd</p>&mdash; NFLTradeRumors.co (@nfltrade_rumors) <a href="https://twitter.com/nfltrade_rumors/status/594220743153422336">May 1, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hmmm. Wonder what they're asking for.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't believe Mort about JJo. Mortensen doesn't have a very good track record honestly.

18. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Yeah, his track record isn't great. But It would make since with the drafting of Johnson. Wonder what his value would be.

19. Airdough

Airdough Member

Straight up swap?

20. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Doesn't make sense to trade JJo unless the return is a 3rd rounder or something substantial. No use for the cap space this year unless we were trying to open it up and trade for a big money QB.