1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

And DJ hasn't. I think teams are willing to stick with a guy if they see him getting better and moving closer to fulfilling his potential. But when a guy isn't that good and doesn't really show any signs of improvement, what's the point?

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The thing is, it's not like there is a technique to improve on. He's a box safety. He doesn't have the instincts to be a cover guy, and the league is moving more and more away from that type of safety getting serious snaps.

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Michael Brockers?:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Interesting. RT <a href="https://twitter.com/Bischoff_Scott">@Bischoff_Scott</a>: Michael Brockers wants a long-term deal, could get moved. Multiple teams involved, Lions, Cowboys, <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a>.</p>&mdash; Mike K (@Zepp1978) <a href="https://twitter.com/Zepp1978/status/593151968467505152">April 28, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>&quot;I've been encouraged and impressed. He's doing well. We expect him to be a major contributor this year.&quot; - Smith on Clowney's progress.</p>&mdash; Houston Texans (@HoustonTexans) <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonTexans/status/593108844231860224">April 28, 2015</a></blockquote>

5. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

Albeit, Swearinger is (arguably) terrible, I feel like this may be more to do with Clowney. Specifically, I think they want to remove the jungleboi influence (or distraction) from JDC to allow JJ to be of unequaled import on him. I just don't see them taking a loss on a young player particularly, who is a starter; a trade at this point, will be a loss, given his draft pick status, based on his on-the-field performance (which is far superior to Brandon Harris). :)

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tiIPe9ow-BI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I think it's less that and more he doesn't tackle properly.

8. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

I respect your opinion - but wouldn't that be something that could be taught (assuming that the player/human being has the capacity TO be taught)? Either way, we both may be right.

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Texans agree to terms with free agent RB Chris Polk</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/593167258030997504">April 28, 2015</a></blockquote>

10. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Not knowing his current health status, I'm excited about Polk. I know he fell in draft boards because of a shoulder thing, but Eagles picked him up, and they've had a solid system for building RBs for awhile.

I was and am still looking forward to some mid round picks being used on RBs too.

11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Would love to add brockers.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

If this is true, then they must be drafting a safety or two this weekend.

13. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

They also brought DJ down into the box to play as a linebacker hybrid. With Moore here I'm hoping they find another LB

But it's not like they should expect a lot for DJ, Barron only got the Bucs a 4th and a 6th.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Martellus Bennett on the trade block:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Bears entertaining trade offers for Pro Bowl TE Martellus Bennett, per league sources. Bennett wants a new contract in Chicago or anywhere.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/593477190425190402">April 29, 2015</a></blockquote>

15. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Didnt he just get a new contract?

He is a Houston guy.

16. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

MB for Swag? Get it done Rick

17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't mean to be a downer, but have you ever heard a GM say, "gosh, he's totally f***ed!". Remember how "encouraged and impressed" everybody was for those last couple of post microfracture years with TMac - at least until the season started?

If he plays more games than he misses this year, you should be happy. If in 2 years he regains explosiveness, you should feel like you were struck by lightning and lived.

I still read a lot of medical opinions that a) he'll never have the explosive burst sgain and be essentially no more that just another guy, or b) he'll limp through the next couple of seasons, missing more games than he plays before retiring.

You shouldn't let Rich Smith blowing smoke up your @ss fill you with false hope.

I only hope he's off somewhere getting platelet treatments and illegal HGH injections. Clowney is a dude with so much talent he's never had to fight to be the best player on the field. Even if he suddenly learns to train like Rocky for his fight with Apollo Creed, you shouldn't set yourself up for disapointment on PR tweets from the front office - especially right before the draft when they might want to disguise their plans to take an edge rusher.

This is smokescreen season.

I wasn't a Clowney proponent last year, but this isn't a dig at him by any means. He's had the orthopedic equivalent of a triple bypass. I will publicly disavow all my doubts about his character if he manages to even become 75% of what he was athletically. I genuinely hopeful that this ignites the fire in him that I thought was lacking, but to expected his knee will be like nothing happened is foolish.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You can choose to be pessimistic if you like, but you don't know anything about the size of the injury or the location of the injury so you really have no basis for your pessimism. It's not like Clowney would be the first player to come back from microfracture surgery to have a successful season....Travis Kelce came back from the same surgery last season to have almost 900 yards and 5 TD's as a tight end with f'n Alex Smith as his QB as essentially a rookie.

Having a strong opinion one way or the other about something you have no basis for opinion on is foolish.

19. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Eagles are shopping LB Mychal Kendricks. Seeking a 2nd round pick in return. Teams are balking at that price but something could happen</p>&mdash; Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) <a href="https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/593526205573304320">April 29, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'd offer a 3rd. Would fill a huge need.

20. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Kelly literally gutted that team. It ain't college no more buddy.

I bet they stink next year.