1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Number One Pick Tracker

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Sydeffect, Nov 24, 2013.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Do you see an Andrew Luck (born and bred QB) in this draft? I sure as hell don't. Pointing out a once in a generation data point as the rule and not the exception is teh dumbs.

2. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

So you are saying that it doesn't matter if the Texans were to have the 20th pick versus the 1st? The lower you go in the draft the greater scouting is required. It's common sense.

If you are simply saying that the NFL draft is more variable... I mostly disagree. There are years in every sport where a certain player must be drafted #1. There are other years which are lacking in talent.

3. #TheBeard

#TheBeard Member

Where could I find the SOS so far???

4. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Picking early trickles into the remaining rounds. The team will be in prime position, each round, to select a prime choice or trade down. There is value in being at the top of the draft, especially in the first 3 rounds.

There may not be a Luck (born and bred QB, NFL lineage) in this draft, but there is some quality talent at QB, DE, and LB. The Texans just need options, so the next regime can have more to work with. If they can get a quality QB, then that pays for itself in today's QB driven NFL.

There isn't much in this season to salvage. The silver lining is that so many of these games have been soooo close. Better coaching might be all that is needed to right the ship. And a top pick in each round is icing on the cake.

5. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

That's a mighty big gap there to cover in the final 4 games... but, historically, the amount of talent that comes from the two draft spots is relatively equal.

LOL wtf?

And this certainly doesn't look like one of those years with a once-in-a-generation type talent sitting at the top of everyone's draft board.

6. basketballholic

We only have 2 things to gain this season:

1. Finding out how good Keenum and our other youngsters are.

2. Getting the highest draft pick we can.

With that in mind,

What is our magic number to #1?

7. MystikArkitect

Do you mean do I see another white QB from the Houston area that was conceived by Oliver Luck in this draft? No I dont. I do however see a lot of prospects, one elite, that could potentially make us relevant for the next decade.

Draft position is everything this year, especially considering the crop of QBs.

8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Just lose baby.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

To me I want the team to lose out to embarrass them, their front office and their owner.

The pick is just the cherry on top.

10. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Just because there have been busts at #1 does not mean the two picks are equally valuable. I didn't realize I'm talking to a Keenum Only Fan.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Falcons just tied it up. A minute and change left.

12. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Falcons just tied it up; under 2 minutes left...

13. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Falcons recover a Stevie Jackson fumble with 20 seconds left :)

14. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I realize at this point you're a lost cause with the Keenum only fan nonsense :)rolleyes:), but I'll cap it with this.

I never said the picks were equally valuable. Trade value is a factor, and that's fine. But most people who want a better pick are doing so under the assumption that we're going to take a player with it. Finding trade partners is not a given, especially ones that give you good return for the dollar.

Moral of the story; feel free to cheer for the Texans to win their games without any guilt. I know that's what I'll be doing.

15. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Most would disagree with you.

If you think you see a guy that "could potentially make us relevant for the next decade", that sounds like an Andrew Luck level prospect FYI.

16. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

Wilson>Cam>Foles>Rg3>Luck>Glennon

no media hype, reggie wayne was the mvp of the colts

17. Remii

Remii Member

And the funny thing about that statement is that Wilson and Foles are just as good (if not better) than Luck and RG3 and they were drafted in the 3rd round... Right now Seattle and Philly are not mad that they didn't get to draft Luck and RG3...

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Who are these "most" that you speak of? All I hear is that Teddy Bridgewater is a polished, top shelf NFL prospect and that Mariotta has potential out out the wazoo.

Look, I'm not arguing you have to have the #1 pick to get a good player. That would obviously be false. But logic should tell you that if you pick first it should be easier to get the player you want/need because no one else can grab them first.

Also, it's not just the 1st pick of the first round, it's every round.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Falcons win.

20. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

FALCONS WIN!!!!