1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Number One Pick Tracker

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Sydeffect, Nov 24, 2013.

1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I've seen some mocks now with Bortles going #3 to the Raiders. Would it be possible for him to overtake Bridgewater for the #1 rated QB by draft time? Wouldn't surprise me.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ayD9_uCz4K0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He's got a hot girlfriend as well.

[​IMG]

2. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I wonder whether a trade with Cleveland for their two #1 picks (#5 the second between #18 and #25 depending on next week) for our #1 would be worthwhile. I one of think Barr, Bortles or Matthews will be there. We then can add two more quality rookies with a late first rounder and the first pick of the second round (essentially a third first rounder). I just don't want us to waste a #1 on Bridgewater or Manziel, both of whom I strongly suspect will be busts.

3. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

as you lobby for bortles....

*crickets*

4. thumbs

Believe me, I'm not lobbying for Bortles (or his girlfriend). I'd rather address offensive line and defensive position issues before drafting a quarterback. I think we can get a capable QB (equal to or better than Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel or Carr) in the second or third round (Mettenberger of LSU?). I hope we draft Barr (a Christmas present for JJ Watt) with our first pick1, a QB with our next pick and an offensive lineman with the third pick. Trading for an extra first round pick with Cleveland would just fill some of our holes.

#244 thumbs, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  5. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

the media always does this when their is a clear black qb that is number 1, Blake Bortles is being used as a pawn, similar to how Blaine Gabbert was used a pawn againist Cam.... a lot of these scouts are paid money to hype up prospects by agents, Ryan Tannahill basically got into the top 10 from his agent paying analysts and making them hype him... codewords( " a guy who has really impressed me and is starting to creep up the draft is_____)

6. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

I'm not so sure it's a "black thing".. But, I agree. The questioning of Bridgewater's ability + over hyping Bortles tells me that some teams picking AFTER the texans are trying to play mind games via feeding the media BS. They want us to pass on Bridgewater so they may draft him. LOL. I hope Rick isn't stupid enough to take the bait.

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

my #1 target in a trade down would be Mike Evans. Gotta replace Andre some day, he helps the run game with his blocking, could be devastating running TE routes with Andre and Hopkins in the same line-up.

8. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

With all the Texans issues, you are suggesting we draft a WR with our top pick? LOL, is that you Jerry Jones?

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Al Davis has returned from the crypt

10. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

or Matt Millen

11. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

LOL an Aggie WR with our 1st round pick?? No thanks.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

While I agree this happens... Tannehill? He's clearly not Andrew Luck but would you call that a misread by scouts, media or agents?

If someone's position is to move down to 5-10 pick, pick up a Tannehill like QB and another first round pick... Well that certainly doesn't get me super duper pumped... But when you consider Bridgewater is nowhere near as clear a #1 or 2 as Cam, Luck or RGIII... And that you do never know... Maybe Borttles can have that upside... It's definitely not a ludicrous position.

Didn't Wilson and Kaelernick move up draft boards too btw?

13. Dubious

The post was about trading down. That assumes someone offers you a haul of picks to cover you holes at LB, ORT etc. Evans will go around #10 and will influence the game on the order of Julio Jones or Brandon Marshall. I guess I am Jerry Jones because I don't pass on playmakers.

14. J Hard

J Hard Member

Trade back to 5-7 for Kings Ransom and draft John Football

15. J Hard

J Hard Member

That is 'dubious'

16. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind this. I go hot and cold on Jonathan but you cannot ignore his production. The question marks for me are how much did his world-class O-line and Mike Evans play into his success?

17. thumbs

Manziel is not built to last. He is only 5-11 on a good day and not that solidly built. IOW, we already have him on the team, operating under the alias Case Keenum.

18. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Keenum who I have hyped repeatedly in the past(because honestly I just don't know what I am talking about) has been a guy who played well based off changing the Texan's offensive approach. Defense adjusted and well Keenum, looks more and more like the guy who went undrafted.

Manziel is at worst a round 3 qb. He seems like a smaller BIG BEN(holds on to the ball too long, and can avoid the rush). I think he is going to be a good NFL player if he ever learns to get rid of the ball on time.

19. Dubious

Was it dubious to draft Julio Jones on a team that had Roddy White? And again that was a trade down scenario with something like the # 10 pick where you've added some #2's or 3's

Would it make sense to draft Aaron Murray in the 3rd and let Case play for the first part of the 2014 season? He might be good in another offensive system and we are likely to have one. If you are passing on Bridgewater Murray is probably the target depending on his recovery success . I just read an article that he should be throwing by the combine.

20. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

would you guys consider drafting two qbs like the redskins did with RG3/Cousins?....1st and 5th round QB or 1st round QB and sign a vet. ..