1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Number One Pick Tracker

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Sydeffect, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I never thought of that but that's it. No team can dominate everywhere. The team with a good defense and better QB wins. Brilliant.

2. Major

Major Member

I don't understand this logic. If he's graded as a 2nd round pick, it just means that all the teams needing QBs evaluated him and decided he's probably not going to be great.

3. ThaShark316_28

They probably thought Russell Wilson wasn't much of anything, either.

As a RS Sophomore, he's got a low 1st-early 2nd round grade. If he owns in the Sun Bowl, he'll get people to like him more. He's so young, and has raw tools. Good arm, accurate, mobile; just needs some more time to develop as a pocket presence, which leaves a lot to be desired.

I think he's going first day for sure in 2015; not sure about '14. EARLY 2nd day is the worst he'll do. These are early grades; don't get TOO hyped until private workouts/combine.

4. Major

Major Member

Absolutely. And all the many other QBs that were drafted in the 2nd round and sucked. I think it would be great if we got the equivalent of Russell Wilson in the 2nd round. But is that what you want to count on? That we pick a QB that no one thinks will be great, and we just hope and pray that everyone's scouts are wrong?

Is counting on your scouts failing a good way to build an organization?

5. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

Hundley might go top 5 if we take bridgewater at 1. Jags might take him, vikings might take him. Good news is Falcons and Redskins play each other next week while we play denver,colts, and titans. At worst if we win 1, we will sitll end up with 3 wins and a top 3 pick.The #1 pick isn't going to have trade value if its

1.Houston
    2.Washington
    3Atlanta
    4.Jacksonville/Minny

because......washington and atlanta won't be taking a QB bc of griffin and matt ryan, so that automatically means bridgewater/hundley will be available at #4 and teams will try to trade for that pick bc it will require less. Washington could trade to recoup picks lost to STL and with orakpo there adding Barr isn't too high a priority and if we take clowney they will sell the #2 pick.

Honestly there are so many good QB in this draft, I think you have to take clowney whose a generational talent at #1 and then take your pick of trading the high #2 and something else to move into the first to get

-hundley
    -manziel
    -carr

or wait till round 2 or 3 to get

-mettenberger
    -aaron murray(my preference bc he's a gamer)
    -tajh boyd
    -nick fales

I honestly don't see much of a difference from a potential standpoint after bridgewater and hundley, the other 6 all seem like their ceilings will be tony romo at best and that's what I see from Murray. Love Mett but he has a torn ACL now and he wasn't even mobile before.

6. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Washington's pick belongs to the Rams for the RG3 trade. They very well could be ready to move on from Bradford.

7. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

He is also a diva who would be toxic to what we are trying to build here. Watt is amazing because he wants to be great on every play, Clowney just wants to be great when the scouts are watching.

8. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Hmmm, so I assume that you know Clowney in person or watch him play in person...?

9. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

Clowney isn't a diva, he's smart, its the NCAA that makes the silly rules that you have to play 3 years before you can go pro. The NBA its 1 year and done, and in case you didn't notice football has way more career ending injuries than college bball that's why tons of these college guys get insurance policies.

Jadeveon was just smart and knew that busting it for 1 year and maybe ruining his entire future and $50M+ in career earnings wasn't in his best interest, id call that a smart move. He was cautious and made the safe play, why let the university of south carolina profit off you and your hard work when that same university would turn a blind eye to you if you got hurt and had no benefit.

Clowney was called a better prospect that julius peppers or mario williams. I don't know if you remember but the giants defense was devastating with Justin Tuck and Jason Pierre Paul, with clowney and watt, we could have the nastiest pass rush for years, and you CAN win a title with a superb defense and a mediocre QB, ask the baltimore ravens, they did it twice........or the buccaneers who started brad freaking johnson who defined mediocrity but had warren sapp and derrick brooks among others on that stellar d

10. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Stupid question, but please bear with me.

If we actually want Clowney, only Jax/Minny will draft Bridgewater and Wash/Atl will take Clowney/Barr, can we do the following:

1. trade the #1 pick for Jax/Minny pick + 2nd/3rd rder
    2. ask Jax/Minny to draft Clowney
    3. Bridgewater falls to us and we draft him
    4. Trade Bridgewater back to Jax/minny for Clowney

Once the dust settles, Jax/minny gets their QB while we draft who we wanted along with additional compensation

11. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

If he was smart he would realize he blew his status as the number 1 pick months ago because he put himself over the team in a sport where that is unacceptable. GMs can't miss on 1st picks and they won't risk that just because they hand this kid a paycheck that he is all of a sudden going to give his everything to the game and to his team...

Y'all are just blinded by BSPNs hype, I would like one of y'all to give me your scouting report of this kid, not what you hear on TV from talking heads. Because the first thing on my scouting report in big red letters is Lack of a motor

1 person likes this.
  12. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Clowney and Watt would be a crazy combo, but it would only last a couple years. That would be wayyyy too much money invested in the D line.

At this point I would like to trade back to pick 7-12 area and take CJ Mosley. Hopefully someone falls in love with Bridgewater or Clowney and we can cash in on some high 2 and 3rd round picks.

13. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I think Wilson fell because he was 5'11. First round talent but undersized.

Giants also had Osi and Canty inside who were better than the guys we would be starting at tackle. And this defense isn't a pass rusher away from being comparable to the 2000 Ravens or 02 Buccaneers.

14. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Minnesota up 24-9
    Redskins beating Falcons 20-17.

We probably want Redskins winning this for both trade purposes so Rams can't draft Clowney (and we can trade for their picks) and Falcons have a harder SOS.

But honestly this is all moot point. We probably have #1 wrapped up.

15. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

No, you want the Falcons to win because they have the 49ers and Panthers left. Last chance to win a game.

16. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

If they tie with us they probably have the better SOS. I doubt we win one more and if we do, we will have the tie breaker.

17. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

Right, but we gain nothing from the Redskins winning. If the rams have two high picks it gives us less leverage even if you want to trade. I have no idea why people are over thinking it. First pick, draft the QB that you like the best.

18. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Falcons and Vikings win. I'll let you experts do the updated math.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Not that it matters anymore because the Texans won't win another game this year but...

Houston (2-12)
    Washington(3-11)(St. Louis)
    Atlanta(4-10)
    Cleveland(4-10)
    Jacksonville(4-10)
    Tampa Bay(4-10)
    Minnesota(4-9-1)
    Buffalo(5-9)
    NY Giants(5-9)

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Next week is a guaranteed loss. I only hope that I make it past this round in my fantasy matchup so I can get Peyton Manning and Knowshon against the Texans defense in the finals.