1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Nokia Lumia 920/820 Thread - Windows Phone 8

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Amel, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I received mine in the mail today and I am getting used to it. While it doesn't have as many apps that I am used to from my iPhone, I think I will adjust quickly. It is a very, very smooth running beautiful piece of hardware.

2. ontherox21

ontherox21 Member

Lucky...I thought I would get mine today, but didn't. I'm sure you'll get used to it. I was an iPhone guy who made the switch and will be on my second WP handset. Once you find that the os offers a ton things that don't require an app, it'll become second nature.

3. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

was at a ATT store, asked for the 920, the guy says if I had any today would have sold 10 of them, lol

none in stock

4. Master Baiter

I don't know what it looks like online now but I ordered two and they were here in two days.

The more I use this, the more I love it.

5. Sajan

Sajan Member

Maybe I will get used to it but some things about the OS are kind of annoying.

-- the top bar with the battery, data connection etc just disappears. it's information i would find useful if i am in the browser, or other applications.
    -- in iOS, in the messaging app, i can swipe to the left/right to delete a thread. in WP, it's a 3 or 4 step method. also in iOS you can delete individual texts inside a thread..no go on WP.
    -- no centralized notification center. though this one should be coming soon.

These were just some observations I made today at the store.

As far as the hardware..it's beautiful. just one slick piece of device. and no it's not heavy. maybe compared to an iphone 5 (which i honestly think is too light) but to my iphone 4 with a case..i couldn't tell the diff.

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

swiping down from the top of the screen often brings the top bar back (depends what screen you're on though)

deleting a thread is 2 steps in both. iOS = swipe then hit the "delete" that shows up. WP = hold down on thread, hit "delete" that shows up

Observations need to come by using it like you've used iOS...otherwise you're comparing different types of use and making assumptions

7. kaleidosky

i decided to preorder the htc 8x, though i liked the lumia 920 also

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Local stores didn't have it so I ordered the cyan on Friday. Should be in my hands by Wednesday.

9. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Why the 8X? I went to ATT today and had a hard time deciding between the 8X and the 920. I ultimately left with nothing wanting to think on it more. The 8X kinda won me over in terms of it being thinner, lighter and skinnier. It had a real nice feel in my hand. The 920 I'm somewhat partial to for the Nokia features and the screen seemed a slight bit nicer.

The need to upgrade my computer to W8 in order to use Xbox Music Pass and sync my phone over my existing Zune Music Pass bugged me a bit, too. That had me eyeing the LG Optimus G.

10. Sajan

Sajan Member

Ya I found that swiping down brought it back on the home screen and the phone app.

How come windows phones don't have a mute ringer switch? I love that about the iphones.

Speaking of ringers...you still can't control the ringer volume separately from the media volume. :eek:

11. kaleidosky

At least on the mute ringer, I don't know which one I prefer. iOS, it accidentally clicks over sometimes (esp over time). Windows, you hit the button on the side, then touch the top right of the screen (so it's 2 moves instead of 1, but it never happens accidentally)

12. kaleidosky

8X...just thought the feature set was similar enough for my use while being what you said: thinner, lighter, skinnier. Given that both are solid, I preferred the 8X in my pocket. Also, the audio quality was a little better on the 8X (Beats).

13. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Damn. Tough choice for me, but thanks for sharing your thoughts. That blue skin on the 8X look sweet, too.

14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Ask and Yee shall receive

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/mint/c1b0d8f8-92d2-4373-916d-0beec55e6290

I love love love my 920. They really broke the mold this time. I'm hard pressed to see how when you put this phone side by side next to the iPhone, anyone could pick the iPhone. The app ecosystem is getting there, it integrates beautifully with the surface and win8, and it has office! They did it.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I was really close to getting the 920, but at the end of the day I couldn't resist the galaxy note 2 form factor. I wish Microsoft would have convinced Samsung to come out with a Windows 8 version for launch.

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

I don't want a notification center, although according to the verge its coming. I think the live tiles are essentially the notification center. A lot of people were making fun of the polycarbonate back, but to be honest the Lumina in Rockets red is unmistakably attractive. I kinda wish apple had a more diverse color scheme in their phones.

17. Sajan

Sajan Member

if you look at what apple did with their new ipods (touch and nano)..it seems to me the colors are back..especially considering how the windows phones are going (8x and 920).

so i have a feeling the next iphones will offer some more color choices.

18. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I love my Red 920... I don't think I've seen a more amazing screen on a mobile device yet. There's just something about the rounded/beveled edge of the screen that makes it even more appealing. Just leaps and bounds better than my Lumia 900.

19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Honestly I don't think apple would do that. It dilutes their market. Think about it, if they had color choices obviously some colors would sell over others and they would be their standing with millions of unwanted colors. Apple is sort of reaching what Microsoft has reached in the PC market, if they change too much too soon they run the risk of alienating a large base of their customers. They work on such a larger scale now, they can't possibly have a debacle where they have 500,000 magenta iPhones in warehouses while the white, black and red are sold out. The scale they operate on in the phone market is just too large now.

That's where these smaller platforms and OEMs have the advantage. If Nokia comes out with 5 colors, and 4 of them sell out it isn't as much of a hit on them about the 5th phone color. Because Microsoft and Android split their market amongst OEMs it's a bit less hurtful if one phone fails. With that said, Apple has the advantage if for instance the iPhone 5S sells like hot cakes. Bigger risk, bigger reward, but I guess with Cook at the helm anything is possible. Jobs would have said you have the colors you are supposed to have, if you want more colors you're looking at your phone wrong.

20. Master Baiter

Has anyone found a clock app that has a clock live tile? It sucks not having the time easily available on the phone.