1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Nokia Lumia 920/820 Thread - Windows Phone 8

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Amel, Sep 12, 2012.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

What's missing from the iPhone (from a business perspective) is the ability to use Microsoft office. Nokia does have a valuable asset in their Windows partnership, so I'm not ready to write them off just yet, due to the dominance of MS products in the business world.

However, I did just receive my iPhone5 a couple of weeks ago and have no plans to buy this new Nokia device. I wish one day Apple would bring some of Microsoft's popular products onto its device. (brb hiding from imminent religious war from the Apple fanboys)

2. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I have a Black Nokia Lumia 900, and will be upgrading to a Red Lumia 920 on launch day. CAN'T WAIT!

3. Svpernaut

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Neither can I. I was really hoping it would be released on the 4th, but now it looks like it will have to wait until the 11th. BS.

My current phone (Samsung Captivate) is buggin' out like crazy. I swear it's haunted. Turns on and off by itself. When I'm texting, the stuff I just typed deletes itself when I press Send. And every 30 seconds or so an error message pops up saying my calender has crashed, and this error message causes my phone to freeze for about 10 seconds. So, it's pretty much useless.

My upgrade was back in August and I've just been waiting for the Windows Phone this whole time. It better be worth it...

5. Svpernaut

6. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

8. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Nokia 920 Review is out

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/1/3584486/nokia-lumia-920-review

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4EePEc-2iXw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There are also rumors of the international version to be pentaband, which means it can be used on TMobiles network..If that's true, and we'll prob know for sure in a few days I will get one...

http://www.tmonews.com/2012/11/nokias-lumia-920-windows-phone-8-smartphone-is-pentaband-after-all/

9. Svpernaut

There are over 120,000 Windows Phone apps. I've been using Windows phone since the NoDo update in March 2011... and I haven't missed out on many apps. Some of the popular iOS apps that all of your friends have you won't have, but they all die off faster than they become popular (I'm looking at your Draw Something!).

46 of the top 50 iOS apps will be on Windows Phone 8, and 90% or more of major apps have been on Windows Phone for some time (apps like Netflix).

10. Sajan

Sajan Member

i think now that windows phone 8 is out..there's going to be a ton more apps..in the next 6 months, majority of the apps that everyone wants will be there.

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

People assume quantity= quality. Do I need 500 different fart apps? Yes, but not having them isn't so bad. Words with Friends, Draw Something, Netflix, and Hulu are all found on WP8. Couple that with apps only available on WP like taptitude, xbox live, and Nokia drive I think a better platform emerges... but yeah, iDiots are right, there aren't enough apps on WP...

12. Sajan

Sajan Member

people that complain about the number of apps should post the apps that they use that are missing.

I use mint.com and it's not on WP. But I think it's coming.

13. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Nokia can kiss my ass. I want this phone so bad, but I'm not switching to freakin ATT from Verizon. Either getting the Iphone or my wait a few more weeks for the HTC version of this.

14. Svpernaut

This is going to be the case. 300+ million Windows 8 licenses will be sold in the next 12 months with upgrades and new PCs. App developers are already flocking to the new Windows Store app ecosystem for Windows 8.

This is important as Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 are built on the same kernel, to once you build an app for Windows 8 it is EXTREMELY easy to port it to Windows Phone 8, as in about 1/10th of the development time.

There is absolutely no way that big name app companies will pass up 3-4 billion customers in 4 years (estimated Windows 8 and Windows 8 RT sales), and it makes perfect sense to port their apps to Windows Phone 8 when they do it.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Full presser below...

Windows Phone 8 smartphones arrive at AT&T Nov. 9; pre-orders begin Nov. 7
    Special AT&T Promo Offers Free Wireless Charging Plate With Purchase of a Nokia Lumia 920

DALLAS, Nov.6, 2012 – AT&T* announced today the availability of three new smartphones in its growing Windows® Phone 8 portfolio. Beginning Nov. 9, AT&T customers will be able to purchase the Nokia Lumia 920 for $99.99 and the Nokia Lumia 820 for $49.99. Before Thanksgiving, customers can pick-up the Windows Phone® 8X by HTC® with 16 GB of memory for $199.99. Additionally, AT&T revealed an exclusive version of the Windows Phone 8X by HTC with 8 GB of memory in California Blue and Limelight (yellow) for $99.99. AT&T is only carrier to offer this device in Limelight.

Starting Nov.7, the Lumia 920 and Lumia 820 will be available for pre-order at www.att.com/lumia920 and www.att.com/lumia820, respectively. The unrivaled leader in Windows Phones, AT&T has sold more Windows Phones than any other carrier.

Nokia Lumia 920

The Nokia Lumia 920 includes the latest advances in Nokia PureView imaging innovation. The 8.7-megapixel camera features advanced floating lens technology, dubbed ‘optical image stabilization’ which helps eliminate blur by compensating for hand movement while photos or videos are being shot. The camera in Nokia Lumia 920 can take in five times more light than typical smartphones to capture top quality photos and videos in low light.

In addition to its 2000mAh battery – the largest battery Nokia has put in a smartphone – the Lumia 920 includes built-in wireless charging capabilities** for an easy, convenient way to get more out of every day. For a limited time and while supplies last, AT&T will also include a wireless charging plate – free of charge – with each purchase of a Lumia 920.

The Lumia 920’s 4.5-inch PureMotion HD+ ClearBlack display is protected by Corning® Gorilla® Glass and is optimized for readability in the brightest light conditions, even outdoors on a bright day. In addition to its durable, scratch-resistant, curved display, the Lumia 920 also has a new sensitive touchscreen that lets you type with fingernails or while wearing gloves.

Available in red, white, black, yellow and cyan, the Lumia 920 is available for pre-order beginning Nov. 7 at www.att.com/lumia920 for $99.99 with a two-year agreement.

For more information, please visit www.att.com/lumia920. A look at the Lumia 920’s features in action is available in this video.

Nokia Lumia 820

The Nokia Lumia 820 is a snappy, mid-range smartphone that delivers high-end performance in a compact package. It features the same unibody look and feel as high-end Lumia smartphones – including a ClearBlack display and new sensitive touchscreen – in an attractive design that supports exchangeable shells. These exchangeable shells, which are sold separately, are available in range of colors and features, including wireless charging.

The Lumia 820 offers the same exclusive content as the Lumia 920, including Nokia Drive, a turn-by-turn voice navigation solution, Nokia Music, a free music streaming service and Nokia City Lens, an augmented reality application that uses the phone’s camera viewfinder to provide information about points of interests in the surrounding area.

The Nokia Lumia 820 comes in black and is available for pre-orders beginning Nov.7 at www.att.com/lumia820 for $49.99 with a two-year agreement.

For more information, please visit www.att.com/lumia820.
    Also, this is cool:

16. Sajan

Sajan Member

17. ontherox21

ontherox21 Member

Pre-ordered a black one this morning. Had a Samsung Focus. A little worried about the girth of this one, but I'm pumped to get a new phone. Really like the Windows OS for the simplicity. Having Facebook and Twitter within the OS makes it great. I'm not a huge app guy, but do miss some of the ones I have on my Ipad. Hopefully with the ease of development from Windows 8 to WP8, we'll start seeing some of the big name apps start coming through. The thing that really puts it over the top is the Zune Pass. I can barely get Itunes to start up on my PC most of the time and having access to unlimited music is awesome.

18. Sajan

Sajan Member

that's what she said [insert SwolyD smileys]

But seriously, I can't make myself commit to AT&T right now. I feel like in 6 months there might be a Surface phone, or a Verizon high end Lumia..and I don't want to get stuck with ATT.

I am happy with my iphone 4 right now.

19. TISNF

TISNF Member

A Surface phone? Interesting thought. I'm really tempted to jump on the 920 for $99, but I'll try to resist and try to hold off, at least until the S4 comes out.

I'm a little worried about being an early adopter since it's come to bite me before with Nokia (and Apple) products. I have no doubt that Nokia's got a winner though with this new phone.

I also want to wait a few months to get better feedback on the Surface. I really want it to pan out.

20. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I had to drive about 30 miles, but I picked up a Red Lumia 920 today. Coming from a Lumia 900, the 920 is clearly bigger. When you look at them side by side, there's no mistaking which is the 920. However, in the hand it doesn't feel too big at all. I was also worried about the weight, but it's not an issue. With my eyes closed, I'd have trouble telling apart the 920 and the 900.

Something else that is unmistakable is how much faster the 920 is, which I'm guessing is due to a combination of the dual core CPU and perf improvements in the OS. There's a clear difference I can feel when just switching through the menus.

The red color really pops. It is a glossy finish, as opposed to the matte finish of my Cyan 900, so that will take some getting used to. It feels every bit as durable though, so I don't expect that to be an issue. One of the guys at the store had the yellow 920, and it also looked awesome.

I'll post some additional thoughts once I've had a few days with it.

Here's a pic I took of my new 920, next to my 900 and an iPhone 4. The iPhone looks like a cute little toy next to them :)

[​IMG]