1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Nokia Lumia 920/820 Thread - Windows Phone 8

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Amel, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Found out yesterday that all employees are getting new Windows Phone 8 devices for free. Can't wait to get my hands on that red beauty.

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I want this phone now! :(

My droid x is a POS and I'm due for an upgrade. Will hold out for another few weeks hoping for a Verizon announcement, otherwise will sign on with the iphone.

3. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

It is tempting to wait..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/j2Kz6hXicUI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JKWRI9RoxN0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#23 Amel, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  4. Sajan

Sajan Member

what features do yall think MS is holding back? Seems like they are very secretive this time about giving devs the SDK..

5. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I was thinking about this. It's probably a few small things here and there that will be added to the OS. Seems like they are probably refining WP8 and testing things out. Anyways, during the Nokia Conference, Microsoft Product Manager did show the Screenshot addition which is currently not available on 7.5

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

Even at the Nokia event..the MS dude was like we will show you windows 8 detail at a later date...either MS is not finished yet and or there's some cool features they are holding back.

A new look start screen
    New resolutions
    Lenses
    Camera app
    Screenshots
    Lock screen notifications
    NFC and Wallet Hub
    Skype and VOIP
    Nokia maps
    Internet Explorer 10
    More color themes

Expected features
    Advanced backup
    Data Sense
    Photo multi-select
    Photo editing
    Theatre & News in Bing
    New look Music+Videos hub

7. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Camera in low light conditions and OIS, looks pretty amazing

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KJ8gcWqRUg0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1d2tERSOKDA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#27 Amel, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Good news that Verizon is getting the 920, along with the 8X and Ativ S.

So here's a quesiton for those who would know: is Verizon's 4g LTE network superior to AT&T's in Houston?

9. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

I was feeling the same way, but then I searched for most of the apps I do use, and most of them are already available on Windows Phone.

I think if they post any good numbers, the apps (at least the good ones) will start flowing.

10. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Yes.
    Verizon has been expanding LTE in Houston since December 2010 when the first LTE data cards came out prior to the Thunderbolt.

11. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

In my experience it's better. AT&T is a bit spotty when it comes to buildings it seems. my co-worker and I have AT&T vs Verizon. I seem to get better coverage inside and that's with me having a Galaxy nexus with crappy radios. This is out in Sugar Land. inside the city I think both are about equal.

12. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

When I got my first smartphone, I played and played with it for a good 3-4 months, customizing it to my liking and absolutely adored it. Fast forward now, I couldn't care less, the weather widget hasn't updated on my phone for almost 2 months(since Jelly Bean) and I have no plans to sit down and look for a replacement. Point is, I'm at a stage where I don't care about all the bells and whistles of the latest and greatest. I will still buy a top tier phone because I like gadgets, but the pure customization of Android isn't something that's appealing to me anymore.

If the 920 is available on T-Mobile in Q1, I will be hopping on the WP8 train and adopt to the '8' ecosystem for both home and mobile.

13. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OdidORzzA1g?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OdidORzzA1g?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

This floored me. A lot of my iPhone friends have been saying they went iPhone because it's just a better built phone. Better than the Nokia? I don't think so...

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The more stuff I see about this phone, the more I'm tempted to get it instead of the Note 2. I wish there was a phablet version.

#35 rockbox, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  15. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

OIS

versus Galaxy S3

<iframe id="viddler-315f91d9" src="//www.viddler.com/embed/315f91d9/?f=1&offset=0&autoplay=0&secret=42623136&disablebranding=0&view_secret=42623136" width="545" height="349" frameborder="0" mozallowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true"></iframe>

versus One X

<iframe id="viddler-6820406a" src="//www.viddler.com/embed/6820406a/?f=1&offset=0&autoplay=0&secret=24884296&disablebranding=0&view_secret=24884296" width="545" height="349" frameborder="0" mozallowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true"></iframe>

16. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Nokia Free Steaming Music Service

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IGrn1ql_Bxk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nokia Details Dolby Headphone Technology In Lumia 920 And Lumia 820

http://conversations.nokia.com/2012...ersations-Posts+(Nokia+Conversations+-+Posts)

[​IMG]

Nokia has a long history of creating close partnerships with industry leaders to bring the best mobile phones to the market. One such partner is Dolby, delivering better audio clarity and a more natural listening experience on your Nokia smartphone.
    Dolby has made appearances in numerous Nokia handsets; including the Nokia N8, Nokia 700, Nokia 808 PureView, and the upcoming Nokia Lumia 920 and Lumia 820, to name just a few. It’s this inclusion of Dolby in many Nokia products that gives an unrivalled, more pleasurable experience when listening to music or watching movies on your mobile device.

But what exactly is Dolby Headphone and how does it provide a better experience? At the moment, you’ll probably think that the sound you’re listening to with your favourite headphones is fine. And it probably is – just fine. However, with Dolby Headphone technology even the best headphones will become better, enveloping you with a comfortable and natural sound – almost as if you were not using the headphones at all.

Shawn Richards, Sales Director or Dolby Europe explains:

“Dolby has consistently delivered state of the art tech. We know how to make a good sound even better. That’s where Dolby Headphone comes in.”

By using state-of-the-art digital processing technology, Dolby Headphone creates an acoustic illusion. Much like when you’re in a cinema, at a concert or listening to music through a home entertainment system, your ears pick up direct sound from each speaker as well as sound bounced from other surfaces and furnishings in the room. Dolby Headphone technology recreates this audio experience, producing the sonic signature you’d expect from a perfect acoustic environment.

Nokia Music with Dolby Headphone is the perfect way to feel like your listening to your favourite band on stage without actually having to stand up for hours in the cramped confines of a venue, all from the comfort of your own personal space.

Dolby Headphone can be found in other high quality consumer devices. However, on mobile phones, it’s exclusive to Nokia.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Laaaame. Still going with ATT and 920, but I think this sucks for Nokia.

18. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

Next Nexus phone for me it is

19. Sajan

Sajan Member

I would wait till Verizon and Tmobile make their announcements on what each will be carrying before making the final call..

I kind of want to stick with ATT to see if iPhone was mostly to blame for my reception issues.