1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] NFL: Week 11

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Nov 14, 2013.

1. WFU Guy

WFU Guy Member

No, the gif doesn't show nearly how much the ball is underthrown Mr. Bueno

2. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

"The ball is caught two yards in the front of the endzone almost trapped on the ground IIRC"

3. WFU Guy

WFU Guy Member

You saying it wasn't caught at the front of the endzone?

BTW, the "recollection" was solely referring to the drive the legwhip occurred on.

4. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

If your "The ball is caught two yards in the front of the endzone almost trapped on the ground IIRC" was not referring to the final play then my bad, I completely misunderstood. that sounded completely idiotic, so i should have realized you weren't purposeful sticking your head in the sand by doubling down.

5. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

Gronk turned back into him he was following. He has a right to the ground he is standing on. Gronk had to go through him

6. WFU Guy

WFU Guy Member

We flatly disagree then and there's no reason to discuss it. Questionable call? yes, wrong call, don't think so. To my point however, there are questionable calls elsewhere that affect the game (namely the no call on the leg whip).

My POV, Ball is very short, Lester is a good few yards inside Gronk where he catches it. If the ball is on target or Lester doesn't make the interception or Gronk makes a demonstrative effort to the ball, it's PI. None of those things happen, no PI because the ball never gets to the receiver.

Per Blakeman from yahoo.sports.com:

The refs decided that there could be no penalty due to "in essence, the catchability of the ball due to its location," Blakeman told pool reporters afterward. "So it was determined at that point in time that when the primary contact occurred on the tight end that the ball, in essence, was coming in underthrown and in essence it was immediate at that point intercepted at the front end of the end zone."

7. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Patriots may have been robbed from a questionable or bad call ... Who cares.

You know how many beneficial calls the Patriots have gotten over the last 10 years, now everyone is b#tt-hurt and wanting to change the rules again, because it happened to a darling team. Whatever.

I agree, it was a questionable call, because Luke Kuechly did grab a hold of him. Yet at the same time, Gronkowski made contact with the defender and the ball was under-thrown (Yes, that interception was Brady's fault) with another defender sitting right on top of the route.

P.S. I'm still one of the people who said that Cam Newton is better than both Andrew Luck and RGIII, when everyone was high on them last year. I kept pointing how people were selling Cam short, disregarding his last eight college games were Tigers beat six powerhouse teams (Oregon, SC, Alabama, Georgia, Arkansas, and LSU), especially the comebacks against UGA and Alabama.

9. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

It's weird, but I think defenses are catching up to high-octane passing games. There's only going to be a handful of players getting over 30 tds, unlike the last two seasons. I think the teams fair the best against potent passing attacks are those traditional beat you up and get to the QB front sevens, because teams aren't running as much, while the quality of the running game have also declined a bit.

10. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

Wilson, Rg3, cam> Luck.... I go by stats not mediahype

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One thing I don't get about this play was even if it's not pass interference how is it not defensive holding?

From the NFL Rules
    [rquoter]A defensive player may not tackle or hold an opponent other than a runner. Otherwise, he may use his hands, arms, or body only:
    Exception: An eligible receiver is considered to be an obstructing opponent ONLY to a point five yards beyond the line of scrimmage unless the player who receives the snap clearly demonstrates no further intention to pass the ball. Within this five-yard zone, a defensive player may chuck an eligible player in front of him. A defensive player is allowed to maintain continuous and unbroken contact within the five-yard zone until a point when the receiver is even with the defender. The defensive player cannot use his hands or arms to push from behind, hang onto, or encircle an eligible receiver in a manner that restricts movement as the play develops. Beyond this five-yard limitation, a defender may use his hands or arms ONLY to defend or protect himself against impending contact caused by a receiver. In such reaction, the defender may not contact a receiver who attempts to take a path to evade him. [/rquoter]

12. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

seems like skin color, lol.

what's RG3 doing?

13. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

The only reason this is a big deal is because the media hates Cam and are trying to take shine off of the fact that Cam out Brady'd, Tom Brady on mnf. Just two days most of the media was saying that the right call was made in the aints/ 49ers game. Which leads me to believe that the media only justifies call when made by certain qbs. If Cam had underthrown that ball and Brady led the drive Cam did, the panthers and Cam would recieve no support in fact they would have drilled cam in the media for going after an offical like brady did to end the game without shaking hands

14. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

you have to bump guys at the line, throw off the timing. carolina's and new england's sencodary was physical.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

None of that has anything to do with anything. Who cares which team was involved? A bad call is a bad call. Besides, it's not like it affects anything with the Texans...

I'm not sure if it was PI...but it was definitely Defensive Holding. There was a penalty there.

Here's an internet cookie for you.

[​IMG]

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Ummm... That doesn't answer my question. I like Cam Newton. He played a great game but he wasn't even on the field at the time of the play. I think Brady is a douche and Belichick is evil. That doesn't mean that wasn't a a very questionable call.

Believe it or not some of us are actually interested in the rules.

17. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

gronkowiski had to run through the defender. gronkowiski initiated the contact cause he to turn around.

the patriots weren't intending to be successful they were trying to get the call. that's gronkowiski was almost out the endzone before turning around

18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I said when I saw the call "The Patriots got hosed. It couldn't have happened to a better team" I agree this is almost Karmic but at the same time doesn't mean it wasn't a bad call.
    The receiver can make contact with the defender as long as it isn't impeding the defender's progress, offensive pass interference. I don't see how that though gives the defender the right to grab the receiver.

Yes the ball was underthrown but clearly Gronkowski's progress is impeded and he is being held. If it isn't pass interference I don't see how it wasn't also defensive holding.

19. Major

Major Member

Defensive holding only is called before the ball is thrown. It applies to any receiver on the field and "catchability" is irrelevant since the pass hasn't gone anywhere yet.

PI only applies to the receiver being targeted and catchability is supposed to be taken into account.

In this case, the pass was already in the air when the initial contact was made, so it's definitely not holding. It's either PI or nothing.

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Are you sure about that? See the rules I posted above.

Also from this gif I am not clear that the defender wasn't holding Gronkowski just prior to the release of the ball.
    [​IMG]