1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official NBA Draft Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets34Legend, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

What the hell is this? So many HS players, no college players?!?

Man, I hope Jameer Nelson drops to us! :p

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Man oh man, the best thing is to watch Chad Fraud's pick-by-pick analysis on the fly. i don't think he has an edit function, and it's just awesome. :D

Chad predicts, retracts, uh, spins, squirms

"Sergey Monya... ok, well, next expect Sergey Monya."
    (repeat)

:D

Sorry -- I wouldn't give him a hard time if he wasn't such an INSIDER.

3. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Damn, Jameer to the Magic for 1 or 2 picks. Man, is that going to affect the McGrady trade? :confused:

4. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

mcgrady + jameer = francis/cuttino/boki

5. ayears

ayears Member

I don't understand why someone is glad to see Cat gone...:(

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

this is what I was thinking
    either
    He may come to us with McGrady
    or
    they want him to play some 1 with francis at the 2
    [the backup . . when mobely goes out]

either is fine

I think the deal goes down either way

Orlando making some bold moves

Francis Mobely HOWARD Gooden Cat

not ridiculous man

Rocket River

7. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jamal Crawford is a free agent and he probably won't be returning to Chicago.

8. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Orlando just picked up another PG in the 2nd round, insurance?

9. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Not glad. Just being realistic.

10. ayears

ayears Member

I know... but have to take some time to get over it:p

11. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

That's so r****ded! They've now taken Crawford, Williams, Hinrich, and Gordon in the first round the last few years. Even if only 1 or 2 of them will be there this next season, it's stupid they've taken PG's every year. Have they forgotten there are 4 other positions?

12. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Even worse. They grabbed Chris Duhon as well. I wonder if the Rocks can get 1) Hinrich; 2) Crawford (FA or S/T); 3) Gordon; or 4) Duhon. We drafted Luis Flores who is a 6-0 shooting guard who can't pass. Why did we pass up Blake Stepp? Oh Flores is a New Yorker!

13. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Anyone else think we should give undrafted Arthur Johnson (C from Mizzou) a summer league invite?

14. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

We aren't participating in a summer league this year.

15. munco

munco Member

let's not forget eddy curry and tyson chandler. they haven't forgotten the other positions. their guard picks to date have fared better than those 2 h.s. kids but both of the big men have shown promise.

16. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

My Draft Grades

A
    UTA - Managed to get 2 ready-to-play guys out of an incredibly shallow draft pool. Ditched their third pick, knowing it wasn't going to get them someone worth the guaranteed money.

CHA - Got Okafur, and that was about it. Beats staying at the number 4.

CLE - One pick, but it was a solid one (Luke Jackson).

ORL - They're taking some heat for passing Okafur, but I don't agree witht he hype. At best, he's the next Brian Grant, and he's expected to battle back and knee problems before too long. The Magic are going to bring in pieces through trade and can let Howard develop.

WAS - Yes, I'm putting them here. Getting rid of a finished Stack and piss&moan Laettner by sending the #5 pick in a two-pick draft and they get Jamison in return? First good trade by them in years. Plus, they picked up Ramos in the second round when he's at least as good a prospect for a center as the stiffs taken in the first round.

David Stern - Anyone else think he and Russ were more fun this year?

B
    BOS - 4 picks to assist Ainge's youth movement agenda, but only Jefferson and maybe West have a fair shot at panning out.

IND - Call it a hunch, but I think Harrison may be a steal at #29.

CHI - They were collecting trade bait or making other guys expendable (see Chandler, Tyson) all night. Al Harrington is the goal. Deng slipped a good bit.

PHI - One pick, good athletic swingman. Probably penciled in to replace Aaron Mckie.

C
    ATL - They used 4 picks to fill out their blank roster, but did they really get players that can contribute? Childress has a great knack for the game, but not an NBA body. Of course, that was the exact same knock on Prince when he came out.

POR - Took Telfair way too high, courtesy of the Adidas deal, and then proceeded to pick up 3 big man projects that may never pan out.

DAL - Took Devon Harris at least 10 spots higher than he was projected to go, added in the big man voted most likely to be a bust (Podkolvine), and tossed in a shooting PG. If they get Shaq, I supose it's worth it, but Cuban hinting that Nash is gone ("We're keeping Harris") has to have people up 45 tense.

NOH - JR Smith could be good, he could be DeShawn Stevenson.

TOR - Araujo probably won't pan out, but there are worse projects out there. See Seattle.

D
    MIA - only one first round pick (and 2 second rounders), and they skipped Jameer Nelson, the only guy worth getting at #19.

GSW - One pick, one foreign big man project. This guy wouldn't go until late first round any other year.

LAC - Shaun Livingston will certainly be electrifying in the Penny mold in a few years. But does anyone think he'll do it in Cliptown? I'm certain Baylor was cursing the Bulls for grabbing the more ready Gordon at #3.

SAC - Kevin Martin? How bad is this draft that he got into the first round?

SEA - Bank on the Sonics to forever swing and miss in their never ending search for a big man. All of a sudden, they're pining for the days of Big Smooth as much as they used to wish for another Sikma. Horrendous pick. Horrid. This kid shouldn't even be in the draft.

Steven A Smith.

Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained
    Either there wasn't a pick, or only a second round pick, or a trade leaving the team with no first round picks. In this incredibly shallow draft pool, 2nd round talent was being selected starting around pick number 20. With so many teams wary of cap space, look at how many essentially took a pass last night:

Denver Nuggets
    Detroit Pistons
    Houston Rockets
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Memphis Grizzlies
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Minnesota Timberwolves
    New Jersey Nets
    New York Knicks
    Phoenix Suns
    San Antonio Spurs

A third of the league's teams probably won't have a rookie from this draft play for them next year. That's insane. That's how poor this draft was.

Evan

17. drapg

drapg Member

Absolutely! I actually wanted to draft him. I love this guy!