1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Michael Bloomberg for President 2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Major

Major Member

He's not just focused on Trump though. He's targeting his ads in places with vulnerable GOP Senators; he's put tons of money into voter registration efforts; he's previously funded lots of pro-gun control candidates. He seems to have his sights set on more than just who's President.

B-Bob likes this.
  2. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

A run as an independent could very well hurt the Democratic party.

Bankrolling a far right ******* would taint his own brand to the point of no repair.

Running as a Democratic candidate allows him to spend unlimited dollars on Trump/Republican attack ads, while also improving his own brand.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

That's a pretty interesting strategy. I keep on waiting for Tulsi to drop out, and run as an independent. I think she could really weaken Trumps base by pulling in some of his voters.

Question though- as a prominent public figure, or billionaire in order to pull from Trump's base by going FURTHER to the right, how far would you have to go? Just straight up burning crosses at rallies?

(FYI- I approve of your avatar)

joshuaao likes this.
  4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Billionaires are doing what they always do.
    Spend their money on philanthropy and other issues so that the plebes do not feel that they should tax their money.
    For those interested in this history and the question of whether we can count on the philanthropy of the very wealthy to improve society generally.
    See the good book on the issue.

#144 glynch, Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Thank you for this post. I hadn't considered the super-PAC dynamic. In that light, his candidacy makes a lot more sense.

RayRay10 and dobro1229 like this.
  6. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

The Bible?

jiggyfly likes this.
  7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yes and I expect that the purist Dems on the campaign will accuse Biden and others for using Bloomberg as a camouflaged super pac which I think is short sited & incorrect. Incorrect that Bloomberg ONLY wants to help Biden here. More than anything he's creating messaging (at least to this point) that weakens Trump with low information voters. His ads on healthcare and climate are fantastic to achieve this goal. What Bloomberg is doing is good for even Bernie although its inevitable that Bernie & Warren will vilify him for it.

RayRay10, jiggyfly and joshuaao like this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So it's better that they don't use their money on philanthropy?

Bernie is a millionaire so what is the cutoff point?

9. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

B-Bob likes this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

12. mick fry

mick fry Member

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

he heard the criticism ... lol

joshuaao and B-Bob like this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

pretty sure this guy isn't much of a fan of Mayor Mike :D

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Butthurt-in-chief tweeting about Bloomberg... "that sounds fair!" LOL

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

And the response ... dude has a role

joshuaao likes this.
  18. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure the editors of Reason were all lining up to vote for Mike Bloomberg right until that moment.

19. Major

Major Member

Yeah, he really looks like a Bloomberg voter...

Rare among libertarians, who tend to dismiss Bloomberg as a petty tyrant for many plausible reasons, I was excited when he jumped into the Democratic race. Sure, he was a nanny stater on steroids when he ran the Big Apple, famous for his what-the-**** efforts to ban Big Gulp sodas and salt and he was an unapologetic champion of the repressive police tactic known as "stop and frisk" (he's unconvincingly repented now that he's running for president). He remains an idiot and a hypocrite on pot legalization, among other things. It's at least a little disturbing that he's risen as high as fourth in some polls based solely on spending $250 million on ads. His just-announced $5 trillion tax plan is a groaner as well, especially since he doesn't seem interested in cutting spending.

20. Major

Major Member

I'm starting to see a narrow path to the nomination for Bloomberg. I'm assuming Pete and Amy are done before Super Tuesday. If Bernie wins the first 3 states and Biden looks like a dead man walking, Bloomberg might be the remaining moderate "save us from Bernie" candidate people rally around on Super Tuesday and beyond.