1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Mets @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 13, 2011.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I just went and watched that segment of the game (Astros broadcast) via MLB.com and Lee certainly wasn't "laughing his ass off". He had a wry smile on his face, kind of like, "is this really happening", but certainly no laughter of any magnitude.

2. cardpire

cardpire Member

so it brought a smile to carlos lee's face. is that closer to anger or enjoyment? and what's your point?

3. bobrek

You said he "was laughing his ass off". That's quite a bit different from a "wry smile". I think there were probably a number of players with a "did he really just do that" type of smile on their face, similar to this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55439965@N08/5722323867/

What was YOUR point in saying he was "laughing his ass off" when he clearly wasn't?

4. cardpire

cardpire Member

dude, did you wake up a little nutty this morning?? i guess i misremembered, as rocket would say, the degree of his enjoyment, but you are just grasping at straws at this point.

once again, what is your point? pretty sure your point was never to prove that lee was smiling rather than laughing his ass off, but if it was, congrats!

5. bobrek

My point is, if you asked every player on each team (as well as throughout the league), would they rather fans NOT run onto the field, they would collectively say yes.

Do you disagree with that?

6. cardpire

cardpire Member

of course i agree with that. nobody ever even came close to arguing against anything like that.

we are talking about a one off here. do you wish this guy didn't do this? if you could go back in time and prevent this, and take away the enjoyment of the 250,000+ people who have viewed this video, would you?

7. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

bobrek is so upset over this issue, it's almost as funny as the guy who ran onto the field at Minute Maid and almost got away. It's a pretty entertaining incident that occurred during a meaningless game in a season where we are in last place. If it happened exactly the same during a season where we are in serious contention and they showed Lee displaying various levels of enjoyment and laughter and his at-bat ended the same, then yea I would be a little more upset because he should be zoned in. But circumstances are different, Lee is a worthless player who at this point is just collecting a hefty paycheck so I don't expect much from him now, and the only thing we're contending for is to make it to .500 ball. Wins are great but the realistic goals of this season going in were to have each individual player improve so in a season like this its fun to get whacky entertainment becase that's usually the highlight of our games (guy running onto the field, Joey Votto throwing the ball around with a man on third, etc.)

And I don't think you can compare this incident to the Bill Spiers one. The guy who ran onto the field in the Spiers's incident had the intention of harming the players, this guy had the intention of running out there and actually trying to make a realistic attempt at getting away. Most of the fatasses that run out there have no shot the second they jump the fence

8. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

I think both Arod and Bud can be good pitchers in this league but both really need to work this summer on developing some kind of legit third pitch. They walk too many batters.

9. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Not really sure what Brad was doing leaving Aneury in SOOOOO long, we were still in this game and could have rallied but now...not so much.

10. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

Who do y'all think is going to be sent down when Kepp comes back. My guess is Chris Johnson.

11. rockets934life

Tough tough choice...I'd say Sanchez but to be honest, even though he has been hitting better lately, Bill Hall should be released. Downs deserves to be here, Barmus needs more time to fail and Sanchez/CJ's seasons last year should give him more time to turn it around. This team is rebuilding, no reason Hall or Barmus should be taken up a spot over a young guy.

12. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

I dont know if Sanchez has anymore options. Is there a place to check that? Also I think we need to keep him because Kepp, Hall and Downs can't play shortstop. He's a pretty clutch hitter that provides some value pinch hitting too. Johnson I feel has problems both defensive and offensive he needs to work in the minors on. Hall provides some defensive value as he can play third base or the outfield.

13. rockets934life

Yea just not a Sanchez fan, dude can hit singles with the best of them but defensivly is a wreck. Guy has no range, no arm and messes up the easy play to often...saying that, he should probably stick around but the numbers game may play into it.

Hall can play a few positions but none of them all that well and unless he continues to hit with some power, Kepp is the much better option. Barmus is the wild card but so far he is Adam Everett light so what's the point. I wouldn't worry about SS, Downs can play it or Sanchez stays on board but either Hall or Barmus needs to go.

CJ is interesting, I agree he needs to work on his swing but the guy won't learn anything at AAA. He has destroyed AAA in the past and would do it again, I rather give him ABs at the bigs and let him work through his troubles...afterall who replaces him?

14. cardpire

cardpire Member

add 3 cbs news anchors to the list of people who smiled and laughed at this.

his name is indeed kevin crabtree, and he said he's going to talk about it in a few days.

excellent scoop by Raven Lunatic.

15. cardpire

cardpire Member

add tony kornheiser and mike wilbon to those who enjoyed this. vid nearing 1million views.