1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Mets @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Landlord Landry

i wasn't talking about one inning. i dont think brooks was either.

2. Landlord Landry

wrong. check your OBP again. beltran is ten points higher, where Lee is ten points higher in AVG. so his lead is not more significant.

Lee is the overall better and more consistent batter. Beltran has almost 300 more KO's than Lee in the same amount of AB's.

Carlos Lee career AVG RISP and RISP/2 is far better than Beltran. He's Clutch.

and before you knock Carlos Lee's defense(which I am in no way defending).
    Carlos Beltran has more errors and a worse fielding pctg. than Lee.

Carlos Lee= $100 mil, Carlos Beltran= $117 mil. Carlos Lee>Carlos Beltran.

3. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I'll still take Carlos Beltran over Carlos Lee any day of the week.

4. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Career stats:

Games:
    Beltran: 1427
    Lee: 1471

AVG:
    Beltran: .279
    Lee: .289

OBP:
    Beltran: .355
    Lee: .342

SLG:
    Beltran: .493
    Lee: .502

Most importanly...

OPS:
    Beltran: .848
    Lee: .844

As you know, OPS is widely considered more significant than either AVG, SLG or OBP alone. And, I'll take more SOs if my guy is getting on base more and putting up similar RBI numbers.

RBI:
    Beltran: 947
    Lee: 988

Beltran has played less games in his career and I believe has also spent much less time hitting cleanup than Lee, so he's had fewer RBI opportunities.

I haven't seen their avergaes w/RISP so I'll give you that. Do you have that career stat for both players and a link?

Stolen bases:
    Beltran: 266, caught 36 for 88%
    Lee: 110, caught 38 for 74%

On to defense...

Fielding %:
    Beltran: .985
    Lee: .985

However, Beltran plays CF a much more difficult position that sees a lot more action.

Total catches:
    Beltran: 3803
    Lee: 2659

Assists:
    Beltran: 97
    Lee: 78

Gold gloves:
    Beltran: 2
    Lee: 0

I assume you will stick by your belief that Lee is better than Beltran but I don't see much in the stats that support that claim. I think Beltran is the better player.

Having said that, if you factor in salaries, I'd take Lee over Beltran for several million less per.

#24 BrooksBall, Aug 2, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I hate Beltran as much or more than anyone -- as far as I'm concerned, he ranks ahead of even Pippen on the list of athletes that have screwed over a Houston team. But this is a no-brainer. Beltran and Lee are almost identical hitters (see the OPS number BrooksBall posted), but one combines his hitting with very good defense at a premium position while the other plays a position where good hitters are found significantly more frequently.

Take the Astros system, for example. If you have Beltran, and need to fill left -- it's not that hard to find a Luke Scott (low to mid .800s OPS guy) type hitter either within your system or for a discounted rate in free agency. If you have Lee, and need to fill center -- you end up with guys like Willy Taveras, Chris Burke and Michael Bourn (OPS in the .600s). Think about how much better this team would be if it swapped Lee for Beltran, and put a Scott-caliber hitter in left as opposed to Bourn in center. It's all about position rarity, and the gap between CF (especially a good defender in CF) and LF is huge.

(It's for that same reason that moving Pence from CF to RF is just absurd for the future of this team, but that's for another discussion...)

6. BrooksBall

One gapper right here please...

7. BrooksBall

No way! That was frickin wildness at the plate!

8. mclawson

mclawson Member

I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like that at the plate. Castro got hit by a couple of trucks there. One old and one new.

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

BLUM!!!!!

What happened?

10. BrooksBall

Loretta sandwich at the plate. I hope Loretta's okay but that was pretty cool stuff. Never seen a play like that.

Pence with his youthful enthusiasm plows through Loretta and everything else material in his way.

Is this rugby or baseball?

11. BrooksBall

Loretta stumbled rounding third. Pence caught up to Loretta just as he was sliding. They basically both slid home at the same time. The ball was in just before Loretta but the battering ram that is Pence knocked Loretta into the catcher and the ball dropped. The catcher may have dropped the ball before the slide(s) but it had to be the result of the chaos in front of him. It may have also been Loretta's upper body that jarred the ball loose just as Pence was sliding into him. Either way, it was pretty nuts.

Kaz strikes out then Tejada hits a near gapper that Beltran pretty easily tracks down.

12. BrooksBall

Men on the corners, no outs. C'mon guys, get it done here.

13. BrooksBall

Erstad, FOR THE WIN!!!

14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<EMBED SRC="http://www.gunsofaugust.net/gogoastros2.mp3" VOLUME="50" HEIGHT="45" WIDTH="180" autostart="false">

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Great win. Awesome scene when Pence and Lorreta were sliding at the same time at home.

Another series win. hmmm.....getting kind of fun to watch. Compared to the frustration I saw against he pirates.

16. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

That was a thing of beauty. Go Astros!!

17. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

I went to the game tonite, and that was as good as it gets. Reminding me of opening day and the Phillies game when Erstad through the guy out at home.

18. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

Very nice win! Always good to take out a former closer for a blown save :)

19. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

Those were 2 of the best wins we've had in awhile. It's too bad we're out of the race, but I don't mind seeing us spoil a few races ;)
    I can't believe Wade couldn't get anything decent for Loretta or Valverde.

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

What an amazing win last night. That was a Major League like play in the 9th to tie it...and against Wagner, too.

I know they're too far out of things in what might be the best division. Doesn't mean, however, that I don't want to see them finish with a +.500 record and give them momentum going into next season (much like the 2000 team did). I do think they could have had a minor fire sale and brought in some prospects. But since they didn't, they might as well win some games.