1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Mets @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 5, 2007.

1. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

2 Men on, no outs, and NOTHING!

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Ensberg struck out looking. What a shocker! :rolleyes:

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

To be fair, that pitch wasn't even remotely close to being a strike.

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

...I know.

on a side note. This game sucks. Damn Beltran.

5. Cannonball

In June and July, Morgan is a combined 8-54.

6. Cannonball

Dynamo - 4
    Astros - 2

:(

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

Beltran is hitting 267! Wow, not what I expected. The Astros not driving in runs, now that is what I expected.

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Yep...and a $100 million man.

9. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

Everytime, I think the Astros are going to get something going, they go out a play a stinker.

Either way, I hope the Astros do some things at the break. Regardless of where they are in the standings they need to move Jennings, and acquire some talent back. I do not think that even if they are in the race for some unreal reason, that Jennings will make that much of a difference.

They should also move Loretta, get some prospects and sign him as a free agent for next year.

10. Howyalikemenow

Please stop sending Ensberg to the plate. Just don't do it. If you think about doing it, stop, grab the nearest bat firmly with your hands, and hit yourself on the head repeatedlly... until the thought of sending Morgan to the plate goes away or you pass out.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I really wonder if he'll be with the team after the ASB. With is playing time cut to nothing lately, why keep him around. Give Klassen or Ransom a shot. Just do something else because Ensberg is pretty much useless at this point.

12. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

I know its been said by many people, but the more I see Jason Jennings pitch, the more I dislike the trade made last offseason. I was at tonight's game and he didn't pitch with any confidence whatsoever, nor did he look like he wanted to be out there pitching. I would definitely like to see the Astros move Jennings and recoup their loss of three young players, two of which had not yet reached their full potential (Hirsh and Taveras).

There is a dearth of starting pitching on the trade market and IMO if the Astros were aggressive enough they could trade Jennings and get at least two decent prospects back. Buerhle will most likely be the most sought after pitcher at the deadline (unless the Marlins put Willis on the block).

Purpura has made some moves lately that have made me think that a move is indeed going to be made. Moving Albers and McLemore back to the big leagues. Moving Patton up to Round Rock (AAA) even though he wasn't dominating in Corpus (AA). The signing of Chan Ho Park (perhaps insurance in case a starter goes down or any of the prospects falter).

Whether they decide to rebuild or reload, both can be done and can be done on the fly as long as the moves are well thought out and not rushed like the Jennings deal.

13. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

and the astros are lucky they didnt sign him

14. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was at the game tonight and had great seats right by the Astros dugout !! They just have no life other than Pence. Even Biggio just let a ball go right by him. The crowd was booing him and the Stros. Morgan is pathetic !! He went up to bat and just stood there without swinging one time and struck out !! I yelled "pay me millions to just stand up there !!" of course he was booed. I think Minute Maid Park lies about there attendance because they claimed that their was 34,500 people there ? No way may 20,000 !! It was just sad to see such a great team who I hate like the Mets perform so damn well and a lifeless team like the Stros. Even my friend that I went with who is really not into baseball said " the Astros seem ike they could care less if they win or lose !!" Oh well maybe the Rockets will make a trade for a PF in FA :(

15. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Or maybe they're simply not talented enough.

If by "go right by him" you mean 'about 10+ feet to his right where he had no play, then maybe.

While I'm not going to defend his overall play, anyone booing him or criticizing him for that at bat is an idiot. That strike three was nowhere even remotely close. Possibly the worst called strike the Astros have had all season.

No attendance in any venue in any sport is correct in the sense you're talking. The announced attendance is paid attendance. It's the same way for the Rockets, Texans, you name it.

As for the Mets, they had one of the league's best offenses from top to bottom, with studs all over the place (Reyes, Beltran, Wright, Delgado, etc, etc.). I know it's more fun to whine about things like "they don't care," but the reality is, the Mets are a more talented baseball team. Period.

I like the Astros. I want to see them win. But, the leadoff hitter is at best a .300 OBP guy with mediocre slugging. The #3 hitter has been been inconsistent all year. The #5 hitter has absolutely zero power. The #6 and #7 hitters are incredibly streaky. There are only two spots in this lineup where the team is consistently at or above the league average (for that spot). The defense, overall, is subpar without Everett. The pitching staff has only one starter with an ERA under 4, and that one (Oswalt) hasn't been himself for nearly two months.

It's not being "lifeless." It's simply that this team has holes compared to the elite teams in the league (Mets).

16. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

ok, you are clueless if you think Biggio was dogging on a play.

17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Funny how the Astros can never seem to improve their record. They may play better at times but their record never really improves. Then, they take a couple losses and their back to the 12 games under .500 or whatever. It's like they are running on a treadmill. They seem to do better and make strides...but they go nowhere.

It's been a totally frustrating season in that way...especially after we keep hearing over and over how much better we are than that. Umm...the record defines how good we are and, apparently, we are not very good.

A seemingly successful homestand is imploding on itself as it goes on.

18. msn

msn Member

The Mets are better than the Phillies, and both teams are better than the Astros. It was a pleasant surprise to take 2 of 3 from the Phillies; no one should be surprised if the Astros get hammered by the Mets.

That said, I hope we kick their asses.

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I suspect that this year will be The Morgan Ensberg Farewell Tour.

20. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

The Astros certainly have individual players who are playing better, but they've still got big holes. So as a team, they aren't going to get a lot better this year. (I'd love for them to prove me wrong, but I doubt it'll happen.) But hopefully, we'll get to see a lot of good that they can build on for next year.