1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

**Official McGrady/Pistons 2010 Regular Season Thread**

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by emjohn, Oct 27, 2010.

1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

It really is like talking to Memento with some of you guys in here.

To recap:

Topic: Why oh why is our Tracy not allowed to play?!

EMJohn:
    Kuester's got little man syndrome, and Tracy joining the protest and laughing on the bench landed him in the doghouse. Kuester's made a point to tell the press that he wants an emphasis on defense and minutes earned in practice, and those are two things that have dogged Tracy in the past.

MacFan:
    BS! Prove it! There's no link, therefore you made it up!

EMJohn:
    Brief rundown of Tracy's history with butting heads with front offices and practice/defense issues, provides a sampling of links

RKReborn:
    I will disregard everything you said by tossing in a random accusation with no bearing on anything

_RTM_:
    Off topic tangent rant that stars get latitude.

You're right, stars do get latitude. No where in the above post did I burn Doc for giving Tracy latitude on D and practice, in fact, I mentioned that Tracy was carrying a heavy enough load and that as Orlando's one good horse, it was reasonable. When JVG and Morey discussed McGrady's practice habits, they weren't being mean about it - if anything they were giving him credit for being so talented that he could get away with it. Jeff being Jeff, he wouldn't have let Tracy go easy if he had an issue with it. This is that guy that kept Bonzi on an exercise bike an entire training camp.

I've mentioned Barkley a couple times, and think it's a good analogy. Both guys shared the same (subtle) knocks over the years (D, practice habits). Both were so good on the court that you didn't mind.*

Problem for Tracy is, he stopped being that good.

In 2008, Adelman still afforded him major latitude, letting Tracy inform him as a game time decision for the first couple months whether he was playing or not. Not to come off the bench, but to start and be a primary option. Despite disastrous numbers, despite appalling D. Tracy wanted 3 weeks off to work on conditioning and got it. Came back and was back in the lineup.

When he went to Stephen A Smith to announce his surgery instead of telling the team, he crossed that invisible line of star latitude vs star performance. When he tried to dictate the terms of his Nov comeback, something he could have done in 2005, he started hearing an unfamiliar sound of no. He wanted more minutes in Dec, but his performance wasn't enough - his star was dim.

D'Antoni put him back in the star treatment line when he got to NY...and turned off the light after a couple months.

McGrady came into Detroit the right way, clearly worked hard, clearly demonstrated patience and acceptance that Kuester was the guy that was going to give him minutes and a starting spot.

But the star power is gone.

When he joined in the sick out, when he laughed on the bench, when he defiantly told the press that he wasn't going to talk to the coach about it, he stuck his neck out. 2002 McGrady gets away with it. 2011 McGrady doesn't. It doesn't help that his coach gets into petty spats and goes overboard to try and keep control over a team that hates him.

McGrady should get past this, but like the offseason Chicago embarrassment, he should file it away and bear it in mind.

*If you really wanted a sidebar, this would open up debate about how this was a key difference between Jordan/Kobe and Barkley/McGrady

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The mac fans should be shining your shoes for making such an epic thread.

These guys seem to think he has no faults and that everything that goes wrong is caused by others whether it be coaching or other teammates.

They seem to throw the 'you didn't appreciate what he did in Houston' or 'he's a top talent' side argument at people who point out his faults. On top of that they can't even respond to a Robocop reference in Detroit without using any creativity at all in their response.

I appreciated his tenure with the Rockets but disliked his antics and attitude toward the end. The mac fans seem have erased the end of his tenure from their memory. This is why they are appalled when the Toyota Center crowd boos him in his return. Even Tmac himself was not surprised by mentioning the booing was worse in Toronto or Orlando.

If they actually knew the real history of Tracy McGrady, they would not be surprised at the current situation in Detroit. Fool me once, fool me twice...

3. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

this....

If he was who he loves to say he is.....a competitor who loves boo's and hate I reckon by next year he should be as good as lebron from all the extra work he's gonna put in because of all the extra hatin'

too bad Tracy only does 1/10 the work...JVG words...not mine.

4. PRAY IV M3RCY

PRAY IV M3RCY Member

im not making excuses for everything in Mcgrady's past but just like this statement u made. All mcgrady said was that he his goal was to be a starter. Not that he wanted it given to him. he was going to earn it. So how is that an embarrassment because the guy was going to compete in training camp. All im saying throughout mcgrady;s career everything seems to be overblown.

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Regarding Chicago?

The Bulls made it crystal clear, they made a point in his interview to tell him: we are interested in you only if you can accept a limited role off the bench.

McGrady then went to the media talking about himself as already being a member of the team and made clear he intended to be a starter (after earning it).

Offer yanked.

It was an embarrassing situation for him. I'm not saying he was wrong for wanting to be a starter. I'm not suggesting he couldn't have won the spot. But the front office made it plain they wanted X, and McGrady made it clear that he wasn't on the same page.

6. PRAY IV M3RCY

PRAY IV M3RCY Member

mcgrady also made it clear that he would do what was ever asked of him. I find it ridiculous that he gets punished because he sets his sights a liltte higher than whats given too him. Especially if he isnt asking for them to just hand it over too him.

7. tinman

Supporting Member

you can't ignore McGrady's past of coaching and organizational conflicts.

I know you are a Tracy fan, but if he rubs someone the wrong way, then he rubbed them the wrong way even if he had good intentions.

"It is what it is"

McGrady needs Johnny Gill.

8. PRAY IV M3RCY

PRAY IV M3RCY Member

i dont. In fact i dont argue with ppl who bring it up. I cant defend everything about mcgrady .Y he left toronto y he left orlando r even the toronto game. However the situation with chicago and the dilemma here with Detroit is one of those cases where i have my favorite player's back

9. drumbum

drumbum Member

And he's starting.

This is all pretty confusing.

10. PRAY IV M3RCY

PRAY IV M3RCY Member

sit ben gordon please

11. PRAY IV M3RCY

PRAY IV M3RCY Member

monroe r u serious

12. Omer

Omer Member

Anyone got a link?

13. tinman

Supporting Member

well maybe he made peace with the coach cause he's back playing against the spurs.

14. PRAY IV M3RCY

PRAY IV M3RCY Member

oo mcgrady missed the gimmie. What a world of confidence does for a player i swar. T-mac getting back in the groove of things i see.

15. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

You can see Prince and Monroe enjoy playing wih tmac.9 pts 7 assists 6 boards 2 steals 2 blocks so far

16. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

3/2/11

lol...

17. bbjai

bbjai Member

is stuckey in the doghouse?

14 minutes tonight?

18. bongo33

bongo33 Member

Thats how f'd up John Kuester's rotations are, apparently Stuckeys been doing good lately

19. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

15 pts 9 assists 7 boards blocks 2 steals on 6-11 fg 2-2 3pt. Not bad indeed

20. drumbum

drumbum Member

Only guy on the Pistons that had above a +1 tonight against the Spurs with a +4. Played pretty impressively considering he had been riding pine the past few games on the bench.