1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Mass shooting thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by B-Bob, Nov 14, 2017.

1. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

I get it...it's talking about narratives and poking a finger at the left in how they aren't consistent with coverage...and they aren't wrong. Black on Black shootings don't move the needle for national news media, but that's been going on for decades (I believe the early 90's was the last time the national media truly cared about blank on black gang violence). They really should report on this type of stuff if they are going to report on mass shootings regularly.

I think my problem with the article is how smug it comes off (and I've seen lefty articles like this and I have issues with those as well), without really proposing a solution. Great, the author identified the problem, now what to do about it? How can we stop black on black violence, white on black violence, white on white violence when it comes to guns. Is it just guns (no) or is it more of a complex social issue that needs to be addressed on many levels (yes)?

But, this article doesn't do that...just tries to score political points.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

good post, and I don't really have an answer for you on the "solution" part of your post. But surely there is some service provided in the author's drawing attention to a shooting incident with 21 casualties that is getting, as the author says, no attention whatsoever. I'm not sure his purpose or intention is to "stop black on black violence," or "white on black violence, white on white violence when it comes to guns." While I'm guessing he likely does have a perspective on stopping gun violence, that really isn't the main point he's trying to make here. And while I agree with you that this is perhaps something that a more complete and nuanced essay might have included, I'm not sure that the author "just tries to score political points." Perhaps he does that, too, but I don't think that's the only thing he is trying to accomplish in writing this essay.

if the author's tone comes across as smug, I agree with you that that is a flaw. But that's not how I read it.

just my 2 cents.

3. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

It's possible that I was a little harsh on it...got a headache today so I'm not in a great mood. I may go back and read it again tomorrow.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To follow up on some of the other posts. Also while 20 were wounded only one person was killed. It's macabre but body counts do lead to the attention a shooting gets.

Just to add there was an exchange of gunfire in Uptown Minneapolis a month ago where 20 people were also injured but no one died that didn't make national news either.

FranchiseBlade, B-Bob and RayRay10 like this.
  5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Good lord, 20 people get injured at your average Sunday at the Golden Corral buffet. Gotta have those body bags to have any shot at media coverage.

But no argument on ignoring gang-related violence, and not just Black-on-Black.

RayRay10 likes this.