1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Mariners @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 28, 2019.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

Do you think the pitching coaches around the league will figure him out, or do you think he is a next generation hitter?

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  2. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not to derail an Astros thread but they lost their chance to win a championship two years ago. CP3 hammy ended their window.

I'm a die hard Rockets fan but I just don't see this ending well and especially with the way the front office is with Tilman and Morey. Luhnow and Crane have done a fantastic job with the media and setting fan's expectations. Crane doesn't go overboard with statements or seek attention like what we see with Tilman and Morey. Crane has been straight about their plans to target during winter meetings and trade deadlines. It's just a night and day difference between the Astros and Rockets management.

3. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Both. I don't think he will ever hit 70 homers in a year. But I think his approach, his barrel to ball skills, and his ridiculous strength are going to make him one of the 10 best pure/power hitters in the league as long as he's in his prime. I think it's akin to adding JD Martinez to our already stacked team. I know, it's ridiculous to compare an established star to a 22 year old, but he was slashing even better in AAA this year and was on like an 80 home run pace. He's had 60 at bats and is already appointment television - we've all seen him, it feels different. I think he's special.

4. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

I think he has real potential but obviously it will be on him to live up to it as a hitter. I think pitchers will pitch to him differently and he will have to adjust. I want to see him more against the fastball but man he does a hell of a job against offspeed pitches.

solid likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Uh, yeah, they're gonna figure him out. He's Mike Trout offensively, but without the defense.

"I don't think he will ever hit 70 HRs in a year." No ****ing sh@t, right? You people need to just ****ing stop it.

CometsWin, Htown Stros and arkoe like this.
  6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Damn that felt good, I don't care if it's a reeling team....we needed that. After the last pitiful series loss.

Damn good seeing Alvarez back out there. Dude was HUGE today.

7. Buck Turgidson

biff17 and CheezeyBoy22 like this.
  8. HTown2017Champs

Wow! You read my mind. Today's news (or, lack of good Rockets news) has put me in a bad mood. Though I rarely comment about the Rockets here on Clutchfans (baseball is my main sport). I love the Rockets as well, and watch all their games. The 2017/18 team was SPECIAL. Did not get the same vibes from last year's team. Yes, they climbed out of 14th place in the WC and made the playoffs, but the 17-18 team just had better chemistry. Very sad day to be a Rockets fan. All these commentators talk about "oh, the Knicks had big plans in FA but got nothing while Brooklyn got KD, Kyrie, and DeAndre", this offseason has ended up being a total dumpster fire for the Rockets. The CP3 contract was a mistake. He had a great 2017-18 until the hammy injury, now he's an aging veteran showing signs of regression clogging up a ton of cap space. Capela's contract also isn't looking as hot either, he's cooled down too.
    Sadly, 2018 was our best chance to win it all. Now, we're stuck with his contract, reports that he and Harden don't get along (whatever is going on, and whether that's true or not, it's not a good look). At least the Astros front office is really good. I know we've missed out on some trades that Luhnow/Crane went after, but we know they're always trying and always working. We should be appreciative of them. Astros will stand as the undisputed crown jewel of Houston franchises for a long time, that's for sure.

astros123 and CheezeyBoy22 like this.
  9. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Totally agree... just look how the Astros handled the Osuna trade and compare that to what we CP3/Harden feud. Folks will point out how the Rockets don't have much to work with right now and other lame excuses... well tell that to Golden State... they looked so vulnerable but were able to get Russell. Just night and day imo

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The stadium sucks but there is a good BBQ place across the street and I can get home in 20 minutes.

11. Buck Turgidson

Why wouldn't/shouldn't they build a proper stadium in actual Tampa? Wouldn't that make much more financial sense?

eta: and I'm really not sure about your tampa bbq

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  12. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Let’s just lock him up now - 20 years, $500M. Absolute steal for getting prime Barry Bonds.

13. bobrek

Prime Barry Bonds was a gold glove outfielder and a gazelle on the bases

CometsWin and Htown Stros like this.
  14. bobrek

Resized_20190213_181737.jpeg

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Basketball has fewer players and player decisions in free agency affect teams a lot. The Rockets greatest problem has been that Golden State has been a great team that is better.

For me, the NBA and NFL have the same problem...there is a lot of contact that depends on a ref to decide was is legal and what is not. The best team at making contact to impair opponent without getting the whistle blown usually wins.

16. SemisolidSnake

Isn't it nice to have a place on these forums where you can say something like this in peace? I wish the Astros forum was more active just because it's such a place of calm respite compared to the GARM. If you made a thread like this over there, oh boy, the Morey-haters and fellators would be on top of you in a heartbeat. And, yes, I like that rhyme I just made; feel free to steal.

Yeah, you're totally right. And it transcends way beyond what can be attributed to the differences between the two sports. Luhnow makes me feel very confident. Crane is a clever owner with a good sense for picking personnel and building an organization that's not only a proven winner but is downright beloved by fans all over the country now.

My dad would put it more simply: Morey may have gone to M.I.T., but Luhnow is an engineer. Both are really smart, but Morey is a brain geared towards ambition and edge-pushing, and Luhnow is a brain geared towards pragmatism and optimization. But Luhnow also knows when ambition and risk IS and is NOT pragmatic. Luhnow would've made a good engineer somewhere because of his mentality (and good engineers are rare), but as Astros fans, we're lucky he's our GM instead.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Please keep in mind that there’s a huge element of luck involved in all sports, including baseball/basketball.

To date, the best pound for pound acquisitions amongst current Houston sports teams are Harden (Rockets), Verlander (Astros), Watson (Texans). Harden should never have been available... but it took an arrogant GM (Presti), and Morey feeling that Harden was a franchise-like player to make it happen. Verlander was extremely close to not being an Astro. They couldn’t work it out at the pre-waiver deadline. Some would say it took a hurricane to get Crane to consider allowing it in the post-waiver deadline, and even then it needed a pseudo-11th hour miracle to get it done on time.

You also have to consider that if Aiken/Close take the courtesy deal, there’s no Alex Bregman. Springer/Altuve were inherited, and the club did resist the temptation to trade them early on, but it was still extremely fortunate.

Morey’s only issue is that he’s very public and uses the media a lot. Luhnow is a savant at saying nothing of note to the media... until something is consummated, then he won’t be quiet about it.

I think Houston is lucky to have fwd thinking GM’s on two of their teams. Regardless of the state of each at the moment.

cmlmel77, biff17 and The Hunted like this.
  18. biff17

biff17 Member

Thank you a very reasoned take.

Why does it have to be one of the other, if the Astros don't win it all this year watch how many people turn on Lunhow.

#538 biff17, Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Excellent post. I would add that Altuve and Springer have both seen dramatic improvements at the MLB level. Not sure how much of that gets credited to staff and how much gets credited to the players (5-10% staff, 90-95% players?). Luhnow's big advantage over Morey is that he can do the shotgun approach. Much easier to make some mistakes and recover in MLB as long roster stays flexible. MLB's disadvantage is that if you have a bad GM, he can burn team to ground in a season or two if he makes the same mistakes over and over again.