1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Mariners @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Buck Turgidson

Get better players and play them once you have them is your strategy? I'm all for it!

New shiny bullpen just got rolled out and gave up runs in the 9th and 10th. Stupid Hinch? What team could stand losing Correa/Altuve/Springer and not suffer some offensive ineptitude? Bregman and Yuli and Reddick are ice cold recently, who is supposed to carry this lineup? White and Kemp and Gattis?

I just don't dig the fact that no matter who is in the lineup they cannot hit at home. I cannot understand why, and this is problematic to me.

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

3. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

The offense has to find a way to score more than 2 or 3 runs a game. The margin for error from the pitching staff is miniscule right now. Other than Verlander’s terrible start on Thursday, the starters did their job in this series.

But the Astros hitters need to start having more professional at bats, especially with runners in scoring position. They aren’t working counts in those situations right now.

Also, Hinch and Lunhow aren’t the types to panic. Even if Oakland wins today, the Astros are still 2.5 games up in the division, with three games against the A’s in Oakland next week. If I was Lunhow, I’d be on the phone with the Rangers and Giants, working out a waiver trade for Beltre or McCutchen, with McCutchen my top priority.

#423 DVauthrin, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Nook and everyday eddie like this.
  4. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

This hitting like dogshlit at home has to effing stop.

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Relative to the road, the Astros can't pitch at home either.

ERA and OPS
    Home - 3.41 / .651
    Away - 2.70 / .609

Here's the batting stats OPS and RS (59 road and home GP each)
    Home - .718 / 245
    Away - .792 / 314

Hitting is the bigger regression at home, but the pitching isn't far behind.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  6. 1234567

1234567 Member

Not making playoffs?

Can it be?

Who knows, but this is simply sad.

But they can get better and sneak in but if it is 1 games playoff sneak then they are not repeating.

Too much to overcome.

They need to hold on to their lead and win the division.

Looked good 4 games ago.....

May look good again 4 games later....

7. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I like Hinch's calm demeanour. I can quibble his in-game decisions, but his approach works in the long run to empower the players to perform. It's on the players now to put in the work in the batting cage and film room. The main thing, as you said, is for the hitters to go up there with a plan instead flailing away.

Nook and mikol13 like this.
  8. DVauthrin

The home era is still the best era in baseball so putting the home woes on the pitchers is silly. The offense needs to get its head out of its ass. They let Mike Leake, Wade LeBlanc and a guy with an 11 era shut them down in this series. Even without McCann, Springer and Altuve, that’s unacceptable.

All Lunhow can do is go and get another outfielder like McCutchen to start in LF, or add Beltre and replace Gattis at DH. McCutchen should be their top waiver trade priority right now.

#428 DVauthrin, Aug 12, 2018
  9. mick fry

mick fry Member

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I had to go back and look, hitting better on the road began in 2016 so its not a new phenomena. Team OPS+ is down to 96 from 110 at home last year though.

Definitely problematic, but without a discernible source or reason.

11. DVauthrin

I, too, like Hinch’s calm demeanor. It especially helps in the playoffs. And to be fair, as you said, it’s up to the players to get the job done. A manager is responsible for a handful of games one way or another at most in the major leagues. Players decide games, unless you are an idiot like Dave Roberts and use Brandon Morrow five straight games in the postseason.

12. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

For those who don’t think this team is in trouble it is time to re-evaluate. We could be only 1 up in the loss column at the end of the day in fact it looks quite likely. Four game sweep. Love my Astros but that sucks. No heart on this.

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Home is where the hell is.

mick fry and J.R. like this.
  14. Malaya

Malaya Member

Some of you criticize Luhnow for not trading for a bat in the offseason. I don't think FO could have anticipated our 3 superstars to go on the DL at the same time.

Talk during the offseason was could we afford to retain all of them? A veteran bat would have come at a steep cost. I can understand targeting pitching because that was our vulnerability last year.

I know there's a reason no WS champ has repeated since almost 20 years ago. It's damn hard because of the fatigue and wear and tear. FO is still gathering data on how to build a consistent contender.

We're still in this race. Only thing we can do is keep believing and supporting the team. Pick yourselves up, 'stros. This is where you separate the men from the boys.

BleedsRocketRed, Nook and kaleidosky like this.
  15. HTown2017Champs

Another observation: Keep Kemp out of the leadoff spot. He clearly plays best when he's batting 9th. Bregman has done fine when leading off, keep him there until Springer returns.

16. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Yeah it’s not time to jump off a bridge. Hopefully Springer and Altuve get back very soon. With the Mariners and A’s playing each other it’s imperative the Astros beat Colorado at home, or else they are guaranteed to lose ground. Then probably the biggest 6 games of the season at Oakland and Seattle starting next weekend. We need to go 4-4 in the next 8 games at worst. Another 6-2 run and all will be well again.

17. Houstunna

Supporting Member

The point was, "the ENTIRE team regresses at home."

Dismissing that FACT is beyond silly.

18. DVauthrin

Yes, the pitchers aren’t as good at home either. Fair enough. But their home ERA is still better than any other team’s overall ERA. It’s not the pitching staff’s fault that the team has been mediocre at home. Put the blame where it belongs, on an offense that hits .245 at MMP with a .718 OPS.

Finally, expecting any team to maintain a sub-three (2.70) era for the entire season is insane.

19. Houstunna

Supporting Member

And if the hitting wasn't so good on the road, home wouldn't seem so bad. The blame is not solely on the bats.

Is it mostly the bats? Yes
    Is it only the bats? No

Rondon hasn't allowed a single run on the road this season. Then today, he blows a one run save at home. Today wasn't his first run allowed at MMP.

The real question is, "why does the ENTIRE team regress at home" ?

#439 Houstunna, Aug 12, 2018
  20. PhiSlammaJamma

I'm watching Deep Blue Sea 2, who knew it even existed, but that is hitting rock bottom. Not sure we be there yet.