1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Mariners @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 30, 2015.

1. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Because the top of the lineup was coming up, including 2 tough lefties in Smith and Cano.

2. Mashing

Mashing Member

Altuve has to have the best hit tool in the majors. Nothing gets past him. He's going to end up with more hits than last season. He's putting up big RBI #'s to boot.

3. Mashing

Mashing Member

Oh and a legit MVP candidate.

4. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Driving in Marisnick four times this year helps. The dude is just unbelievable. I know that regression will come... but will it even be much? He just hits so consistently.

5. cardpire

cardpire Member

not sure what your point is. using your (in theory) 2nd best reliever to pitch to only the last batter of the 9th inning, then starting the 10th with a new pitcher isn't a typical move.

6. boozle222

I wonder if being tied for the best record in the AL will give us attention. I honestly hope not. I want to see a consistent May and in June have people going "why were we not talking about these guys?"

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

A lot of managers will turn to their closer in that situation since there won't be a save. Don't want to leave the supposed best reliever on the bench in an extra inning game.

8. boozle222

Though some are on ground outs, Gattis has 8 RBI in his last 5 games. Sure, would love for them all to be on crushed balls, but getting the run home even if it costs an out is a sign of a hitter. Here's to hoping he continues to convert.

9. cardpire

cardpire Member

yeah, i understand this.

you're ignoring the whole "our 2nd best reliever threw to one batter" part.

i guess with the newfound depth in our pen, he was ready to throw gregerson, harris, and fields 2 innings each, then let deduno have the 16th on, if it came to that.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Love this team!

11. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Seriously, I mean 3 fully legitimate MVP candidates across all 3 Houston sports- Altuve, Watt, and Harden- has that ever happened? Olajuwon, Bagwell, and...Moon?? Wait- Earl Campbell, Moses Malone, and Nolan Ryan? All late 70s, or was Ryan an 80s Astro? Damn, I'm old.

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Altuve looks pretty average to me.

Signed,

Lloyd McClendon

13. Rockets25

Rockets25 Member

When does Altuve regret the contract he signed?

14. baubo

baubo Member

The Astros are also currently +28 in runs, 3rd best in the majors only behind the Cardinals and the Royals. Given that the team isn't just collectively overachieving, with plenty of players who should be better, there's optimism that this isn't just a hot streak and semi-sustainable.

Most likely, Ludnow will rework his deal for more years at higher per-year salary to lock him up a couple of years in FA. Cost control for Astros and Altuve gets a guaranteed big (but not historical) payday.

15. Mattician

Mattician Member

This team is starting to get some attention.

16. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yep they have been the main topic of conversation on mlb radio all morning

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Fangraphs, while not always positive or negative on Astros, has started looking at Astros a lot more lately with recent articles on Altuve, Keuchel, McHugh, Altuve, and how the Astros could get to 90 wins. Fangraph writers typically like things that are different. The Astros are different.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Between the Rockets and the Astros I've gotten so used to the haters, this stuff honestly doesn't even bother me anymore.

20. conquistador#11

i wanted to reactivate my facebook account so I could comment on that pile of crap article or whatever it is. :mad:

george is very upset!