1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] "Looting is reparations" thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Non-story - those are reparations. Drop the charges.

2. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Then why the hell do the mayors/government of these cities continue to let it go in for months?

Wattafan, BigDog63 and tinman like this.
  3. edwardc

edwardc Member

I call BS on the reparations of looting that's not reparation let's start with education.

RayRay10 and Wattafan like this.
  4. edwardc

edwardc Member

I would like to ask you a question with all of the lies that trump has told do you think that his supporters should be embarrassed that he doesn't take responsibility for his actions.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. foh

foh Member

Sounds like those governments don't want to be reelected.

In Chicago, they have 100 people in custody, imposed curfews, closed highways, shut down public transport and drew up the bridges to try and prevent the lootings.

I know this is D&D but do try to substantiate your claims a little bit - it's the respectful thing to do.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So if Gucci donates a bunch of shoes and cologne to the looters , does that make them happy and satisfied?

Why aren't people looting Ross or Old Navy?

[​IMG]

RayRay10 and Wattafan like this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

I call BS on the looters

they are materialistic people based on the stores they loot.
    Nobody really needs a Gucci purse, they can get a purse at JC Penny .

I don't think Malcolm X and MLK cared about luxury brands during the civil rights movement.

This is more of stealing materialistic items to boost one sense of worth. Not actually any improvements on rights, relationship with the police, or economic status.

Corrosion, RayRay10, Wattafan and 4 others like this.
  8. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Yep. And gaining political power by telling people they can loot.

If your base is criminals, your platform has serious issues.

Corrosion and Wattafan like this.
  9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m going to say again that In Minneapolis where this latest crisis started we only had about three nights where it was really bad. Since then there have been large protest but almost no looting or outbreaks of arson.

This narrative that our cities are war zones and mayors and governors aren’t doing anything isn’t true at all for Minneapolis. I won’t speak personally for other cities but I doubt it’s actually as bad as what rhetoric would say it is.

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As people will remember I was very critical of the looting and the burning here in Minneapolis. Having seen it first hand both then and during the Rodney King I don’t think such behavior should be tolerated, excused or rationalized as the “voice of the unheard”. I will repeat again that in that same speech MLK warned that violence will make things worse.

I’m still very disappointed Thant not just people on Internet forums but media figures who have large followings like Trevor Noah, John Oliver essentially justified destruction. It was irresponsible and it still is. I don’t know how much influence the person cited in the piece by the OP is but I will say that it is the type of misleading rhetoric that isn’t just unhelpful but making things worse.

11. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Oh I know it’s the D&D, was just asking the question. Not everyone on this forum is from Houston or Texas. There really isn’t much of anything going on in Houston except for people doing donuts in the middle of intersections in the Galleria.

Just seeing posts in this forum alone seem to show other cities in disarray for months and it seems to just keep going on and on. You don’t even hear George Floyd’s name anymore. It’s all about ANTIFA, white extremist, BLM and looting.

And defunding the police, which is who would be the ones stopping this looting.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

If this is a pic of "the looting" that's some weak ass looting.

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Is smashing up a Ronald McDonald House in Chicago reparations?

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Corrosion, RayRay10 and Wattafan like this.
  15. foh

foh Member

I saw a 10 person BLM rally the other day in Southside. It was small, so hopefully this "reparations" type of message is not reverberating among community.

Chicago is very poorly integrated and is practically 50/50 divided among white and black (unlike Houston). Economic disparity is glaring. I think emotions run especially hot here because of that. We had huge protests for at least a couple of weeks on the North side of City. This latest looting was further north than before - in my predominantly white neighborhood.

A lot of boarded up stores here now - esp. big box stores with the insurance. Heh

We could really use a uniting type of leadership that could be trusted to handle pandemic (and the economic fallout) as well as say Canada. Which is why i think our mayor is justified to tell the good-for-nothing potus to f*ck off.

And our police is not great based on my own interactions throughout years - a lot of rude, power crazed dudes. Some are ok and seem to find honor in the service though.

Anyway, the looting so far not spreading to mom and pops stores or private residences, so don't worry too much...

RayRay10 and tinman like this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

Thanks for the on the ground report

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Fun fact
    The Dark Knight was filmed in Chicago
    @Os Trigonum
    [​IMG]

RayRay10 and foh like this.
  19. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

That quote from MLK is a positive statement about the condition of human nature. It isn't a normative statement making a moral claim about rioting.