1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Joe 2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Apr 25, 2019.

1. adoo

adoo Member

agree w your assessment of her intelligence/communication skills.

But she can’t be VPOTUS, as she is a naturalized US citizen born in Ireland

dobro1229 likes this.
  2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Ahh. Didn’t remember that. Good call. Seems like a great Secretary of State give her experience as ambassador.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm still thinking Stacy Abrams is the leading choice for VP.

Nook and baller4life315 like this.
  4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Biden! Bwaaaahaha what a pathetic candidate the democrats have settled for.

Better cancel the convention, stat. Minimize any and all chances for Biden to open his mouth and further humiliate himself.

ipaman likes this.
  5. adoo

adoo Member

Actually, biden is the Dem candidate that Trump fears the most,
    so much so that the dotard was willing to risk impeachment by blackmailing ukraine to plant / fabricate false claim on Biden, via Hunter Biden.

how pathetic for an incumbent to go to such extreme to get re-elected

astros123 likes this.
  6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You would be wrong.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree that Biden has a lot of flaws but he defeated Sanders soundly, for that matter he defeated candidates that I supported soundly too. He is the overwhelming choice of the Democratic electorate. Sanders two months ago was saying that the candidate who gets the most votes and the most delegates should get the nomination. That is without a doubt that is Biden and any hope of the DNC replacing him is very far fetched, even more far fetched is that they would replace him with Sanders.

Also for the Republicans. Don't underestimate Biden. Many of us including myself thought Biden was dead in January. A lot of the talk was that it would come down to Buttigieg versus Sanders. This isn't the DNC picking their preferred candidate. If Biden had lost SC, or just won it narrowly, that probably would've finished him. He had a true statement win. While the only really big win Sanders had was Nevada. He struggled to defeat Buttigieg in his neighboring state of NH. More shocking than the dominating win in SC was Biden winning MA from both Warren and Sanders and then absolute domination in MI. That showed he can win in every region of the country and for Democrats who are still smarting from losing MI was a sign that Biden was the most electable.

Many of us might feel that Biden is a gaffe machine, annoying, not all there and at times creepy but he's winning.

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Maybe not the leading choice (I think that’s almost certainly Kamala), but there’s absolutely a strong case to be made for Abrams.

Hell, it’s who I would pick. And I’m a Klobuchar fan.

9. Major

Major Member

She has the same issues as Powers and others - she's not going to be seen as able to credibly stand in as President. Her highest level of office was a state house member. I think in an election that's largely going to be about this crisis we're in, there's going to be a higher bar for VP than usual. Senators are well positioned because, really, they have no responsibilities right now and a lot of freedom to campaign. But governors are the ones shining on the biggest stage and with sky-high approval ratings.

Biden has a new problem that he basically has to take a back seat during this crisis because there's literally nothing he can do. Having someone who was knee-deep in it would strengthen his candidacy, IMO, and provide a contrast with Trump's handling of it that Biden just can't do right now since he's not in charge of anything.

10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Strong case how? She has no national experience and she lost a governor’s race. Does make for a good VP candidate.

11. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

All great points, although I think you might be in for a surprise regarding the experience topic if/when he chooses Kamala. A first-term Senator that likely only ran for the job in the first place so she could run for President someday. Doesn’t exactly scream “Look at my resume!”.

I get what you’re saying, though. Plus, optics are a factor too. Kamala being an attractive and fit woman vs. Abrams and her body type. Sadly, these superficial factors will get a reaction out of some and might influence his decision.

My problem with picking someone like Gretchen Whitmer is its rather safe and predictable. I know, like you said, she’s knee-deep in a monumental crisis and it’s improving her stock. I’m not doubting the logic; I just think it’s almost too logical, and thus kind of boring. Biden needs someone that will help fill the enthusiasm gap, and I’m not sure Whitmer can do that. She’s getting some positive press because of her leadership during this crisis, but I think she’s still mostly an unknown to many voters on the national scale.

Sure, many will be excited that he’s picking a woman, but choosing your VP based upon geography and because they’re well liked and won’t hurt you isn’t far removed from the logic Hillary used to pick Tim Kaine.

I think it should be Abrams because conventional wisdom and political gravity are dead. Everything you thought you knew is wrong. Its the defining theme of the Trump era. Biden needs to do something bold. Choosing Abrams would raise the most eyebrows. Both for its historical significance and because she has a story to tell.

What Black person can’t relate to or sympathize with her story? A member of the Black community that got completely and unequivocally screwed over by the system while attempting to advance themselves.

And the best part is she’s spent her time since the gubernatorial race fighting and advocating for voting rights. With the national spotlight on her, her story and how she’s still moving forward — it would capture the attention of the entire electorate and galvanize the Black community. In particular, the key demographic of Black women.

I think she has major upside and I love the contrast with Biden. Plus, she’s highly educated and well very spoken. I have no doubt she would clobber Pence in a debate.

Another key thing to keep in mind: she’s popular in Georgia and the GOP is defending both Senate seats in Georgia. Loeffler’s seat is vulnerable. Her inclusion on ticket could help create an upset.

12. Major

Major Member

I agree on Abrams and the Georgia effect - I used to think she was a good fit for that exact reason, but I think circumstances have overtaken her. I don't necessarily know about the black vote - I think Abrams could certainly juice it some more, but I don't think Kamala Harris does. Biden won the nomination with huge black turnout. Neither Kamala nor Booker was ever able break through with that vote. So I think Kamala would be a huge mistake - she brings nothing to the table that Biden needs, and she has very little actual campaigning success. Her Senate race was against another Democrat, and her first AG race, she barely won (her opponent actually declared victory on election night). And of course her Presidential campaign was a total flop. Others have said this, but she seems to be a candidate that's always far better on paper than in reality. If he's going for racial demographics, I would learn towards the first Latina VP because that's a group he does need to excite and who didn't support him much in the primaries.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

My guess is if Bernie's people have any influence from here on out (I think they'll have a voice in the room on some big decisions like VP) no way Kamala Harris gets the VP pick. I don't know what it is, but the Bernie folks absolutely despised her. I think someone from Bernies camp will put their voice out there in a way that Biden's folks will listen to (Samone Sanders is an important conduit from Bernie to Biden) to voice concern about Harris.

Biden doesn't have to pick AOC or even Elizabeth Warren, but there's reason to listen to pay close attention to who Bernie's supporters do NOT like. Whitmer, and Abrams would probably help unite the party much better than Harris even though I admit... I actually like Kamala myself, but I wasn't deaf to the vitriol she got from Bernie's people.

ipaman and RayRay10 like this.
  14. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Former Press Secretary for Sanders campaign... with some real talk... quite honestly I think the Democrats are planning to replace Biden. The declining mental faculties and dementia just can't make it through the long haul. No energy, no ability to win over the Independents... he's at his best when he's in hiding... which isn't possible in a General Election. The Media never vetted him either - Ukraine, Sexual Assault, Plagiarism, Bad Policies (Crime Bill), Bad Votes (Iraq War).

ipaman likes this.
  15. Fantasma Negro

16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Biden WAS dead. We need to stop pretending Biden is the overwhelming preferred candidate. Bernie, Tulsi and to some extend, Yang, are all outsiders. Bernie had his rabid following as did Yang.

Biden is ONLY there because everyone else dropped out. This illusion of choice is ridiculous. If Bernie was not in the picture, then maybe the choice would still be there.

ipaman likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Biden is pretty damn brash and "dgaf"....... from massaging people's shoulders, to saying he will beat up the President, to supposedly telling an autoworker that he will take it outside.... to calling every other white male with any assertiveness "jack".

I think people expect Biden to be a little off the cuff and not always reasonable.

snowconeman22 and RayRay10 like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

No Biden is the overwhelming choice. He slaughtered everyone in the primaries after a slow start and his momentum has only increased since then.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

There is no question that Biden is and always has been a gaffe machine.

I have never found him annoying, but I do believe because he has a certain likability that he gets away with gaffes and mistakes that someone like Obama or Bush Sr. never would have gotten away with.

Honestly, I don't know that there really has been much cognitive decline. He has been this way for a long time and a former White House employee that actually really likes Biden said he can be spacey and sometimes speaks without thinking.

I would say that I agree with him being creepy when it comes to his insistence to touch women and children. I know he is older but it has always seemed. He did apologize for it and stated he would be more cautious. I do not know if it has been a problem since women came forward and said while they didn't believe it was necessarily sexual, that it did feel like he invaded their private space.

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  20. Major

Major Member

LOL. Everyone else dropped out because they got their asses kicked by Biden. Biden only was considered "dead" because we misjudged the race based on 2 small states with no black voters.

rocketsjudoka and Nook like this.