1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Joe 2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Major

Major Member

That's because you're not super interested in fact checking or learning context. You just listen to twitter video snippets to get your information.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-...den-laud-paul-ryan-proposal-cut-social-secur/

Our ruling
    A Sanders campaign newsletter said, "In 2018, Biden lauded Paul Ryan for proposing cuts to Social Security and Medicare."

That stems from a speech Biden gave in 2018 in which he spoke about Ryan. Biden appeared to be mocking Ryan, not praising him.

The Sanders campaign omitted what Biden said next: the importance of protecting Social Security and Medicare and to change the tax code, which he said benefitted the mega rich. Overall, the point of Biden’s speech was to criticize tax cuts for the rich and call for more help to the middle class.

The Sanders campaign plucked out part of what Biden said but omitted the full context of his comments.

We rate this statement False.

Deckard, Nook and jiggyfly like this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

If you say so.

Why does he need to get out of the campaign?

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

No he was not serious it has been reported on for a week.

Nowhere in there was he bragging.

Of course you don't want to talk about Saint Bernie and the NRA.

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm not sure I agree with the politico piece claiming it's sarcasm / mocking, I watched the actual, whole speech, months ago, and it didn't seem like mocking, he seemed like he was talking about amending and cutting social security and medicare, he leads into a bit about rich people not needing it, which made me believe he was talking about changing the program from universal to a welfare program based on income. But sure go ahead and say I'm not interested in the context.

Also, what about the other video?

And If you want to talk about Bernie go make a post in the Bernie thread instead of trying to just bait and switch in a Biden thread when discussing a topic that only regards Biden. I posted those videos of Biden talking about cutting SS months ago, well before they blew up this weekend due to Bernie.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php...-their-2020-bids.295371/page-94#post-12612870

Oh, and that's Mr.Saint Benard to you.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

So you think it was "bragging", not "mocking". Interesting. Why did Biden's tone change and made a point to directly speak into the microphone?

Also you aren't taking into account the entire speech.

6. dmoneybangbang

From the Politico link:

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I took the whispering as him talking about something that the left doesn't want to talk about but he believes needs to be done. Kind of like he was bashing a sacred cow but for the greater good (in his mind) so do it softly/quietly, if that makes any sense.

Also, the bragging was the other video, he was 100% bragging in that video, not the one we are discussing.

I believe that he's talking about the cuts being able to make it stay, making it more affordable, sustainable etc. Hence "it needs adjustments but can stay", like it not staying is even on the table?

Maybe there's a chance he's being sarcastic and my detection meter is broken, but I didn't see it then and I'm still not seeing it now.

#627 ThatBoyNick, Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I did post in the other thread you want to comment?

9. dmoneybangbang

That's how the clip was edited.

My mistake.

In the greater context, he's talking about how the tax code is tilted towards the rich and how the tax cuts on the wealthy put entitlements at greater risk.

10. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

You must be confusing me w someone else. I do not like Biden but wd be surprised if he comes in 4th in Iowa

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

How it was edited? That's how we said it?

He is also saying that, but my take is he was serious about saying cut medicare and SS, and then proposed maybe the top 1% doesn't really need it, I might be misunderstanding it though.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Do I have to do it....now daddy?

[​IMG]

13. Nook

Nook Member

First, he was mocking Ryan. This is becoming an issue with some Sanders swallowing whatever is thrown in front of them as factual. That is what Trump supporters do.

Second, what do I care if Joe Biden a quarter century ago supported cutting social security. As far as I can tell no one has come out and said they seriously believe Biden will cut social security.

Third, I see Sanders is using his surrogates again to take nasty shots at the other candidates while he himself feigns ignorance. His surrogates did it with Warren which resulted in her lashing back and he did it again with Biden calling him “corrupt”.

I have no issue with Sanders challenging or attacking other candidates but don’t expect to be respected if you hide behind surrogates and also do not claim that the most important thing is the movement and defeating Trump.

At the end of the day Sanders is no better or worse than Warren or Biden or any of the others in the race.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Have you read all of the follow up post I made in this thread? I honestly don't think he was mocking Ryan, I watched Biden's whole speech months ago before any Bernie person threw it out, I didn't take it out of context.

I care if Biden has supported cutting SS and Medicare in the past, it means he'd likely be open to it in the future, and the video we are talking about was in 2018.

You're really not gonna get much sympathy about supporters misrepresenting and attacking other candidates, other then me saying yeah it's wrong and shouldn't happen. Bernie and his supporters get an unbelievable amount of these type of bad faith smears. Warren just purposely released a smear to misrepresent Bernie as sexist for god sakes. On average, Bernie has been very fair with his attacks, IMO.

Oh and lastly, people please equating everything to Trump or his supporters, it's becoming as silly as - "Do you disagree with me? Hmm so many similarities to Trump and his supporters I see". It's so silly.

15. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t see how it is possible you believe Biden was serious unless you really want to believe it is true.

So you post videos of Biden from 25 years ago and a purposely deceptively edited video from 2018 and this is compelling? Again, people should be concerned about what Biden said 25 years ago?

As far as the comparison to Trump supporters, there are certainly similarities that are emerging. From the claim of “fake news” to believing what is spoon fed by you’d candidate to a serious victim hood complex.

The Warren discussion is a perfect example. You make zero mention of Sanders using surrogates to attack Warren which Warren then responded to. Also you just immediately jump to the conclusion that what Warren said isn’t true.

Sanders has every right to go at the other candidates, but acting like you are above that and still doing it is a bad look.

Deckard and TheFreak like this.
  16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I believe I responded to specifically your post a couple of days ago in agreement with you on the Warren/Sanders thing, and explained my position on it.

Bernie having door knockers and callers explain differences between Bernie/Warrens strategies, voting records etc, isn't an attack and is 100% fair game to me. What Warren did was just a gutter politics smear, and I'm not saying she's lying, but it's clear what the intent was of releasing the story the way she did.

Again, I care what Biden said 25 years ago, and again I don't think the video was deceptively edited, and I'm not believing it because I want it to be true it's my honest take read the post in this thread that I have made about it.

There aren't similarities that are emerging, this is silly. You're talking about basic human characteristics and politics, I wouldn't call this an emergence, it's always been this way. The internet is changing things sure, but it's not the people of any specific camp. Trump is in his own boat as a politician for the moment, Bernie is nothing like him.

I don't have victimhood, and I'm not being spoon-fed anything lol. As I said, I found those videos a long time ago trying to find out what Joe was about, you keep trying to insinuate that I'm jumping on this due to the latest media boost on it, not the case.

Lot of disagreements here, this convo could be more productive than just looking to argue against every point for the sake of it and get gotchas.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

No you where the one saying Biden was only leading because he had name recognition and the closer to Iowa he would plummet mainly because the progressive vote would collate.

What does liking Biden have to do with this we all know you despise him.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

This is what Biden actually says today about social security (also includes medicare, and other elder issues): https://joebiden.com/older-americans/

* Increase the SS tax on high-income earners to keep the fund solvent.
    * Resist any effort to means-test or privatize.
    * Provide a higher benefit to very old recipients.
    * Raise the minimum benefit for people who have worked 30+ years.
    * Raise the benefit for widows and widowers.
    * Eliminate penalties for public sector workers.

He's obviously concerned about solvency, but he doesn't seem interested in making cuts. He'll just increase the tax.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think it is a massive political mistake for the Bernie people to assume that his rise in the polls has anything to do with a softening with Biden's voters. If he thinks attacking Biden in a very disingenuous way helps him I think he's mistaken. The white liberals that have flip flopped from Kamala to Peter to Warren, and now to Bernie do NOT want a personal disingenuous knife fight.

I think Warren's attempt to go after Bernie last week on the "women can't win" topic was executed perfectly but still flopped. Why????.... Because this block of Liberal voters care about getting Trump out of office most importantly, and want nothing to do with a split party that destroys itself with disingenuous purity test knife fights.

I think what Bernies camp is signaling they are going to do these next couple months is something that will only hurt Bernie with the support from the left that he needs to consolidate.

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A senile Biden would still be better than our current senile president. I trust Biden to choose people who know what they are doing and can work with our allies for his administration. I trust Biden to not attack, belittle, and ignore people and evidence from our intel and law enforcement agencies.