1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Jeremy Lin IS a Houston Rocket

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by quinnolivarez, Jul 17, 2012.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It'd be much easier for Lin to play for Team USA or even the select team than to step into the Taiwan/China tug of war over him. Honestly, Lin is no Yao. He's lived his whole life in the US I believe. He's about as American as it gets. China and Taiwan will likely watch him on Team USA anyway. If he picks Taiwan or China he's a traitor to many from the country he doesn't pick.

2. CoolColJ

CoolColJ Member

Backless stool FTW

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If it's strictly about sports, he won't get past Paul, DWill, Rondo, WBrook, Irving, arguably over John Wall, Damian Lillard or EBledsoe...am I forgetting someone ?
    The league is filled with elite and good guards

If he wants to play for a national team, he should consider other options IMHO this is not about where he grew up...
    Javale McGee is a naturalized Filippino for instance....he's got nothing to do with this country, stranger things have happened

With that being said, China and Taiwan can groom their own guards and not Centers.

4. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Listening to Lin is so refreshing. A educated young man who speaks like a grown man without garbage that comes out of these guys nowdays. Welcom tho Houton again Champ!

5. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Lin is an American-Asian, or American-Taiwanese, not Asian-American, or Taiwanese-American. Knowing his past experiences, I really doubt he picks an asian country because it would be too easy for him. He is a guy who want challenges and wants to strive to be the best, so he wants to play for the best. No matter what, I really don't care which he takes because he is going to represent the Rockets for years, hopefully many years.

6. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

If Lion wants to play for Taiwan, China or the US thats his choice and best of luck to him eitherway

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Lin strikes me a lot more as a God and country guy than a Kaman type guy. We'll see.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Make no mistake. I want him to put the Rockets before the national team. That's actually going to boost his career.

9. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

10. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

I wouldn't worry too much about this. Every single summer there was speculation he might play for Chinese Taipei (Taiwan), and then rumors of China recruiting him but that was before he emerged with the Knicks. For him to play for China, he would have to give up his US citizenship since they don't allow dual-nationality. He's already granted automatic citizenship with Taiwan due to his parents, but Taiwan won't be getting very far with him either.

Until he actually agrees and plays for either one, I think he's probably going to use his summers to relax a bit and then train. The more popular he gets, he can just go all-around Asia to hold basketball camps. He's already set to visit Taiwan and China again.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He might end up playing for nobody.... that is of course if the US team has no need for him

12. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

13. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

The term Asian-American refers to an American of Asian descent, so basically you're saying the same thing. It's a term that was used in the 1960s since Oriental was found offensive. It's a generalized term now to group people who have heritage from East Asia, Southeast Asia, and South Asia.

14. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Lin would have to renounce his US citizenship to play for the Chinese national team. Unlikely.

15. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

That's what I'm saying, basically about every year the debate comes up. Chinese vs Taiwanese always seems to come up, when he's already acknowledged this already.

16. victoria

victoria New Member

He’s spent all the summer time working out with 4 different coaches at Sparta. Now since he's a formal rocket, everything seems've been settled down. Jeremy Lin will start his Asian-tour, including HongKong, Taiwan and China mainland. Excited to witness Linsanity in China ;)

17. nejyh

nejyh Contributing Member

18. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Lol it's the same difference man. First time I've seen anyone say this.

19. littletigers10

:grin::grin::grin:
    and hopefully with his landing, the rockets will greatly improve on and off court

20. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Lin is a born American, last time I checked. Some people are too eager to kick him out to China or Taiwan, or send this long thread to D&D. Can he just root for America, and identify himself with America?