1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Jaguars @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fullcourt, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Savage held the ball for more than 2.5 seconds 2 times....... 2..... times.....

6 sacks under 2.5 seconds long. He also had 5 drops in the beginning quarter, 4 by the man we just paid 16 million a year for.

Absolutely none of what happened in game 1 was on Tom Savage.

This is going to be a long year, that line is not going to get any better going forward, we have who we have.

Fullcourt, zeeshan2 and Bobbythegreat like this.
  2. solid

solid Contributing Member

It could get better if they make some adjustments and they will. They might have to bring in some new players. Also, the Jags were like possessed. They came in on fire and pushed people around. The Texans were ready for another scrimmage. The Jags were ready for War.

deb4rockets likes this.
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Hopkins deserves criticism as well. He wasn't good.

Highest paid receiver in football and he continued the trend from last year of being a non factor.

deb4rockets likes this.
  4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The funniest thing is that we drafted all of this speed last year in fuller and Miller and signed L Miller .... But regardless of their health .... The OL can't protect long enough for them to use their speed down the field.

What a train wreck of an organization

deb4rockets likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/20672984/nfl-best-worst-quarterbacks-week-1-2017

7.0 TOTAL QBR VS. JAGUARS | SECOND-WORST OF WEEK 1

Tom Savage may have been DeAndre Hopkins' preferred quarterback in the preseason, but the duo connected on just one pass for 7 yards before rookie Deshaun Watson replaced Savage (see first pass plot chart below). More so than his struggles passing, Savage's biggest issues against Jacksonville were taking sacks and fumbling. He was sacked a total of six times in his only half of play -- four by Calais Campbell alone! -- two of which resulted in lost fumbles. The most damaging one came midway through the second quarter. Houston was down by only six points and had a second-and-7 from near midfield, when Yannick Ngakoue hit Savage as he was throwing, knocking the ball loose and the Jags recovered. That was the last time the game was within single digits.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Did he mishandle the QB situation?

Skip: He did. I don't love the situation Deshaun has fallen into with Bill. He's living off his reputation for being Tom Brady's OC. Texans traded up from 25 to 12 for a kid I love. ... You have to hand him the reigns and make him the guy from the start. Bill came in with Tom Savage & loves him some Tom Savage. I told you he's just another Hoyer/Osweiler. That's the best case scenario. You have to go forward with the guy you probably didn't pick. I'm sure Rick Smith chose Deshaun Watson, not Bill O'Brien. When DeAndre Hopkins said I'm Team Savage, that does the kid in. Now Bill has all he needs to say I'm going forward with Savage. Right on schedule, what happened Sunday? He was Tom Savage. Now you throw Deshaun in the fire & now you're off to a terrible start but you're gonna try & throw him back into the fire for a coach that doesn't exactly buy into him. That's what bothers me. If a coach doesn't buy into a QB, not ever a healthy situation.

Michael Vick: Tough because Deshaun will make a start on a short week. Not easy for any QB. Do I think it was fair or right? No. Tom Savage should have had a chance to get a couple games under his belt. They need someone to step up & take this team to where they need to go. This decision baffles me at this point.

Shannon Sharpe: Yes, he butchered the situation. If you believe Tom Savage is your guy, you gotta give him more than a half. At least 4-5-6 games into the season before you make a decision. Now you're asking Deshaun, a rookie, to start on Thursday. It's already difficult. You're asking him to cram. 2 and half days to prepare?

Vick: Game plan will be simplified.

Shannon: Neither will succeed if you give up 10 sacks.

Shannon: These "QB gurus" get a hold of these great QBs, "Oh did you see what he did with Tom Brady?!" What did Josh McDaniels do in Denver or St. Louis without Tom Brady? It's easy to coach Tom Brady. He makes everyone's job easier. QB whisperer? He had Ryan Mallett, Brian Hoyer, Brock Osweiler & Tom Savage. I don't see no QB whisperer. Those Tom Brady's, they make these coaches seem a lot smarter & better than they actually are. 90% of it is Tom Brady. If you think someone can do what Tom Brady can do just because you called the plays, you're fooling yourself. Brian Hoyer will never be one of those guys.

Skip: Jeff Fisher did in Vince Young. I hope this isn't turning into this. If you don't fall into the right situation as QB, where the guy in charge isn't fully invested in you & your future, where he won't do everything in his power to make you succeed because..my fear is Bill has such a big ego, he's gonna throw him into the fire, let's see what happens & maybe I can go back to Tom Savage after a couple of games just to show everyone, that's how "good" Deshaun is.

Shannon: I'm a firm believer it's more important where you go than when you go. Where you go, that situation needs to be right & everyone needs to be on board.

Skip: Everything I read, it was a Rick Smith production.

Shannon: Like Brock Osweiler. Bill was up there like "Yeah, we're excited to have this."

Skip: If they give him the reigns, he'd be this year's Dak Prescott and I'm not seeing that.

Shannon: Tom deserved more than a half.

Michael: Dan Reeves believed in me. He created game plans that were suited for me to go out & have success. Let's see if Bill O'Brien can do that for Deshaun Watson.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Texans actually think starting guys other teams cut would work out?

Breno sucks. There should be zero surprise about that.

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. HstnSprtsFan101

It's pretty clear that Mancz is one of our best linemen. No reason he shouldn't start at G. After Nick Martin and him it's just so bad. A bunch of throwaway scraps from shitty teams. Really need this Davenport to turn into something although there's no signs he's even close. As far as Brown, of course he'd help a ton if he's the old Brown but I have serious concerns about his dedication to this team. We can't give in to that, just gotta hope these guys can improve somewhat and keep scouring the PS's looking for a hidden gem. It can't get much worse than last week at least..

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  13. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seriously, when Mancz went in I felt relief. He is not the greatest but he is not completely abysmal like the other guards. The only reason he isn't starting is because XSF was a high draft pick and Allen was their big FA signing. Pretty standard for the way the Texans do things.

Martin, Mancz, and Brown (if he ever comes back) are the only guys worth keeping. The rest are replacement level. Shuffle 10 guys available with the rest of the line and the results would be the same or better. Or, change the scheme/coashing and the results will be the same or better.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said during conference call he expects Texans to start rookie quarterback Deshaun Watson on Thursday night

Mike Vrabel said Zach Cunningham, Dylan Cole and Brian Peters will all play with Brian Cushing out with a concussion

Mike Vrabel: 'We've honestly moved on to Cincinnati'

Mike Vrabel on his first game: 'Never can anticipate how a game is going to go'

Mike Vrabel: 'I don't think we tackled very well. That's frustrating.'

Mike Vrabel: 'We just have to play better'

J.J. Watt: 'You want to get this taste out of your mouth'

J.J. Watt on younger linebackers stepping in for Brian Cushing: 'There's no more time to be a rookie'

J.J. Watt on his dislocated finger: 'Whatever. It's still inside my body. It's still attached.'

J.J. Watt: 'Some of us played like rookies this last game'

Tom Savage 'Nobody wants to be benched. I'll be ready to go'

D'Onta Foreman on Bill O'Brien saying he'll get increased work 'It's a great feeling'

Tom Savage on helping Deshaun Watson 'That's part of being a professional'

Watt: "All of us need to settle in, play some good football and do what we know we can do."

Watt: "You have to go out there and prove who you are. We have to play good, sound football together as a team."

Watt: "We're looking forward to going out there and playing a game. We just want to get back out there and put together a good performance."

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'll never understand why Mancz wasn't slotted in one of the guard spots from the beginning. Just ridiculous.

justtxyank likes this.
  16. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Paying Duane does nothing to change their fortunes at this point - they're ****ed no matter what they do thanks to the so-called Texans' "braintrust" (Disclaimer: The word brain does not imply that actual brains were used by the Texans coaching stafff and organization at any time during the preparation for the 2017 season). Also, playing Watson just so he can get hurt (ala Oliver Luck) also won't change the narrative for what is to come.

17. justtxyank

Seriously, stupid. I can't get my mind around this crap. Also, the guard they cut Josh Walker, was the best guard in the pre-season and camp. Why cut him? I was hopeful Allen would be better, but he's actually worse now that he's lighter and XSF didn't improve in pass pro in camp or preseason. Why wouldn't you hang onto a prospect like Walker just to see?

Mancz and Walker could both probably replace Allen and XSF and you'd be better, but OBrien is hell bent on having a "power running" game built on bigger guys that are mean.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Holy crap! That's a minimum of 8 games! The Texans are screwed at TE

19. justtxyank

LOL

OBrien to media: CJ might be a little bit longer than the others guys.
    Walks out of the media room
    CJ put on IR

LOL

He did this with someone else a few years ago. Told the media that he didn't know a player's status, would have to talk to the doctors, etc. Walked out of the room and the media relations person announced IR>

20. Buck Turgidson

I knew it was bad when they showed the replay, he took a full speed helmet right in his earhole.