1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Jaguars @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Nov 8, 2016.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He also said (prior to the Jaguar game) that all the Texans had to do was to win 2 and they were in the playoffs. When it was pointed out to him that both the Titans and Colts could win out he said the Colts would not win out and he guaranteed that the Titans would lose to the Chiefs. We saw how that guarantee worked out. For whatever reason, he can't come out and say - "I was wrong about the Titans-Chiefs game".

TheRealist137 and Mr. Space City like this.
  2. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

We weren't going to win that Raider game no matter what. You know exactly why.

The what-if is an interesting thought though. I'm all-in on Savage but Idon't think he's Favre 2.0. I just think he's much better than Osweiler. If he is just what he showed....250/1 td/0 int -ish type of game managing QB...Not some all-star explosive playmaker...just average, ball protecting, decent QB, I do believe we could've pulled it off at least against the Chargers. Maybe Packers too.. But who knows really what his weakness is, how teams will counter him once the tape is out. I know one thing at least, they broke tendencies all over the place and it's hard to imagine a reason other than they felt like Savage could actually competently complete passes. Passing on 1st down...passing 10+ yards....passing 3 downs in a row...I hope they unleash on the Bengals and finally look for some BIG plays, downfield to Fuller.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  3. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

They ran a ****in flea flicker! It's nice to see that all plays are open for him because he not only knows the offense, but can execute it.. I wish B. Miller and Strong were back for this... All that said, he had Fuller wide open on flea flicker, not sure where he was looking tho.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  4. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

There was another play, I'm not sure this is 100% accurate but I believe the throw where Hopkins fought off one DB and got leveled by the other making the grab on the side lines...that one? I'm pretty sure Fuller was clear for a BIG play down field and we know Savage can get it out that far but he just wasn't looking to make that pass. It happens.

The FF faked out the whole stadium though, Jags caught with their pants down for sure. What I do like is that he bought the time, even if he kinda missed the window he didn't then force it into play and just threw it out. Live to play another day. I can handle that.

pugsly8422 and houstonstime like this.
  5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I loved how we broke tendencies. I sit there all game and say run, run, pass on corresponding downs, and 95% of the season, I've been correct.

Sunday I was missing all over the place.

6. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Everyone knows the fade was stupid but I was also really annoyed with the end around call on Savage's first trip into the red zone. Must have been from about the 18 and they run an end around? Just dumb.

They need to rest Miller this week. O'Brien is going to render him completely useless for the rest of this year and maybe his career if he keeps doing what he is doing. Especially sick for him to constantly praise how tough he is afterwords.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That's gotta be the one thing that gets under Brock's skin. For him, completely vanilla playbook and calling because he has to be handled with kid's gloves. For Savage, trickery and downfield throws. I wasn't a fan of the end-around and the throw from the 1 but it was clear BOB is more comfortable opening things up for Savage. I think we'll see more of that this Saturday. It is a shame that Miller is hurt or there could be some more interesting play calls.

Two Sandwiches and Dankstronaut like this.
  8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Apparently the plays didn't change much, Savage was just able to complete the passes

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think Osweiler should look at that as a positive really. Right now he can't get his job back this season unless Savage just falls on his face so he should use the rest of the season and the offseason to truly learn the damn playbook. If he wants more than vanilla plays called for him, he has to have a greater command of the entire offense than he does. If he comes back next year knowing the entire playbook, he could have a shot at earning the job or at least doing a good job if he's needed. He'll be on the roster no matter what, might as well be prepared because he sure as hell wasn't prepared this season.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  10. Mr. Clutch

How is this possible?

11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wish I had a dollar for all the dumb play calls we have seen this year, especially in the red zone, I'd be able to buy a Rockets playoff ticket. Yes, I do believe in my Rockets, even with Clint hurt.

As for Miller, he does need rest this week. I honestly prefer Blue's ability to cut and find holes the best, but it's his ability to hang on to that ball that isn't as reliable as Miller. Our guys really need to protect the ball.

#1231 deb4rockets, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  12. Mr. Clutch

Miller is not a guy to carry the ball 20+ times

He'll retire early at this pace

13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not like he has to either. I wish they would use Blue and Grimes more.

Speaking of workhorses at running back reminds me of an old Navy story. Back in 86-89 I was stationed at Whiting Field, which was a pilot training base near Pensacola. A few of the guys who worked with me in the Control Tower used to talk about this running back they would go watch at the high school. Now I wish I had gone to watch, because that kid was Emmitt Smith.