1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Harden making Hakeem obsolete thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Jan 2, 2017.

?

Is Harden in the process of making Hakeem obsolete?

1. As a Harden nuthugger, I say the answer is clearly and obviously yes

14 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. As a Harden only fan, I say the answer is probably a qualified possibly yes, maybe

4 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. As a Hakeem nuthugger, I say Harden only fans should be banned

8 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. As a Hakeem only fan, I say there is no such thing as a Hakeem only fan

12 vote(s)
    8.8%
  5. As a Mike D'Antoni fan, I don't understand the question

6 vote(s)
    4.4%
  6. As a Patrick Beverley fan, I say you're all wrong

14 vote(s)
    10.3%
  7. As a DMo only fan, I hear New Orleans is a nice place

11 vote(s)
    8.1%
  8. As a Daryl Morey fan, I'm waiting for Batman Jones's musical

15 vote(s)
    11.0%
  9. As a Rockets fan, I say there is no right answer

46 vote(s)
    33.8%
  10. As an OP fan, even I want OP banned now

65 vote(s)
    47.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Reeko

Reeko Member

Well they were talking about offense, not defense. Is it crazy to say that Harden is the better offensive player at least during the regular season?

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

LMAO

Harden will not make Hakeem obsolete until he brings Houston 3 Championship Rings

However, James Harden has already made JJ Fatt obsolete

3. PyroTex

PyroTex Member

I'm a Rockets fan 1st. I do now & will always remember & give Thanks for being able to see Hakeem at U of H & as a Rocket.
    Has Harden made Hakeem obsolete? No. The Beard is the newest chapter in the glorious book of Houston Sports Heros. along with Earl Campbel, Rudy T, Calvin Murphy,Elvin Hayes, Moses Malone, George Foreman, The Killer B's & to many more to name.

Plowman and Killatron 2000 like this.
  4. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

LOL seriously?

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

whoa. this deserves its own thread.

:cool:

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You mean like the Lakers who dominated the 80s with Kareem and Magic?
    You mean taking them out in the Western Conference Finals?

You do realize the rules of the game changed to benefit offensive players especially guards.

Dream use to get quadruple teams and still dropped 30 a night on them.

#106 tinman, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Killatron 2000 and Richie_Rich like this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

it doesn't.

Dream won
    the MVP
    Defensive player of the year
    and Finals MVP

IN THE SAME YEAR.

I believe it's safe to say that was the best year in Rockets history by any player.

In fact, it was so good, they named a BBS after it, called "Clutchfans"

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

9. tinman

Supporting Member

Les hasn't even commissioned an ugly statue for Harden yet like he got one for Hakeem.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  10. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Lol nba legends dont become obsolete. Hakeem is immortal in houston.

Hakeem will never be obsolete but harden has a chance to have an epic legacy and be in the same glorified air as hakeem if he wins at least 1 championship.

11. Daddy Long Legs

Why is it an us vs them though? You dont have to close the door on what Harden might accomplish and disqualify him from greatness.

I agree that hakeem will never be obsolete and forgotten. He is immortal and legendary but I think Harden has a chance to reach that status and be in the same glorified air as hakeem if he brings htown a chip.

12. Know Your Role

Going off of Hakeem homerism, I don't remember Hakeem missing in the playoffs. Harden needs the focus that all the great ones had when it was time to close out a game or series. It's like he gets 8~9/10ths of the way there but rarely takes it to eleven. Hakeem stepped up big when it was time. Kobe, Hakeem, Lebron, MJ, Magic, Wade, and Bird all had/have the last 2 minute killer instinct. Aside from defense, he's got to improve the win-time performances. This is not based on 'facts' or 'evidence', just the way I remember.

saleem likes this.
  13. tinman

Supporting Member

This generation likes to count the chickens before they hatch.
    logically this discussion should be made after winning the 2nd championship ring for Harden.

This just means people really don't understand or undermine what Hakeem did.

saleem likes this.
  14. HTX Ninja

HTX Ninja Member

Last time I checked, Hakeem won us 2 championships. Just saying..... Also, can't overlook Harden's stats. He's straight up ballin, breaking some records from Hakeem.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

SAME YEAR.
    PERIOD.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm a bi
    It's not a question of us vs them. I'm a big Harden fan, and would love to see him lead our Houston Rockets to a NBA Championship. James has shown leadership, mostly in the regular season and with a few fine playoff performances, but he is far behind on defense, than Hakeem was. Hakeem was the DPOY, and the MVP of the Regular season, as well of the Playoffs in our 1st Championship, He lead us to back to back Championships, with great leadership and by stepping up on numerous occasions in very difficult and challenging circumstances. The NBA was a far tougher league back in the 90's with very physical play, and he had to go through a number of Hall of Famers.
    I do believe that James can win a NBA Championship in Houston, but he needs to prove himself in the playoffs on a consistent basis. He also needs additional help. I don't think the Rockets are good enough at this point to win it all.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  17. Daddy Long Legs

It seems that we are in agreement for the most part. The only thing I disagree with is saying that Harden will never have Hakeem status as if it is fact.

Of course hakeem is the better player and accomplished way more. I'm not arguing against that. I'm saying that it is premature to say harden has no chance of reaching greatness. Harden is only 27.

If you bet that harden won't reach greatness than you will probably be right. Probability is always against greatness.

It is premature and pessimistic to write off your own Houston star though. I just don't think it can be declared definitive that Harden will never accomplish greatness with the Rockets.

It all depends on what Harden accomplishes over the next 5 years. Even just 1 championship and Finals MVP would give Harden a similar legendary and immortal status that Hakeem has in Htown

18. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

I think the real question OP should be asking is "Does Olajuwon have his own variety of sour gummy candy?"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Os Trigonum likes this.
  19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I do think Harden can achieve greatness, become a NBA Champion, and achieve legendary status in Houston. I think he needs more time, and a better supporting cast to get to that level.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  20. Daddy Long Legs

Yeah I didn't mean to say you didn't haha. I agreed with all your points. It is true that Harden isn't in Hakeem's class. I'm just hoping that he will win a championship so that he can be in that class.

If that does happen than I think the Hakeem vs Harden conversation is a more real conversation. We agree that right now it shouldn't even be a conversation.

I think all of us in this thread agree that the answer to OPs question is no. OPs trolling though lol. A future rocket could win 15 championships in a row and hakeem would still not be obsolete. If anything, that would just make people talk about the Rockets and how Hakeem brought us our first two even more.

He is already immortal in Houston and nothing will change that.

#120 Daddy Long Legs, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    PyroTex and saleem like this.