1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Newsflash, Lawson is that 3rd star. This team is built to win it all regardless of who's coaching.

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This coach has not won a single game this season. He has got to go.

3. MONON

MONON Member

Well, lookee there. After 3 years, the dead horse is still beating hisself!!!

4. OpenLayup-Why3?

Only scenario where McHale gets fired is when the team performs worse than the year before and has a fully healthy roster. So far not having a good enough or healthy enough roster were saving him. That and last year's over performance in regular and post seasons. The soonest he can get fired is at the end of 2016-17 season.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I have an uncle who lives in the Philadelphia area. When Andy Reid was the Eagles coach, my uncle had this unnatural hatred for the man. It wouldn't have mattered if they would've gone 16-0 and won the Super Bowl...my uncle would still tell everyone that could hear him how much of an idiot Andy Reid was.

There was no logic behind his dislike...just like there's no logic behind this thread continuing. FTW just doesn't like McHale. I feel like the Rockets could go 73-9 and this thread would pop up at least 9 more times during the regular season.

6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

LOL I'm not the one who bumped this great thread.

7. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

If the troll sold his soul to the devil and got his wish and Les woke up and fired McHale, Jones and Clyde, and cut Dekker too :rolleyes: Who are the top 3 coaches that would be available, willing and provide the best chance to get the Rockets the NBA Championship?

I believe McHale has been the right guy for the job and still is the best guy at the moment. He took one of the youngest roster of all time did a good job, as the roster has changed dynamically every season he has weathered all the storms (trades, injuries, death of his daughter, Royce White and lock-out). Last year 2nd seed in the loaded WC. I agree he's not a great play caller however he has gotten better out of time outs when we need that one good shot. His strength has been getting the team to be a compete as team.

McHale wasn't my 1st choice when we were looking to replace RA. Personally I wanted The Junkyard Dog.

My list of 3 would be if willing: Mario Elie, Kenny Atkinson, & Ime Udoka. I don't want a retread.

8. photojoe

photojoe Member

Phil Jackson
    Greg Popovich
    Red Auerbach

I wouldn't accept anyone less.

9. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Newsflash. Lawson may or may not be that 3rd star. Spurs got beat by Clippers in game 7. We beat Clippers in game 7. The 3 teams are pretty much even. The Spurs got LaMarcus. The Clippers got a bench. We got a PG. Each of the 3 team got better (and addressed their main weakness), but none overwhelmingly more so than the other team.

OKC could be healthy this year, and they have a 3rd year Adams and Kanter instead of Kendrick Perkins and Nick Collison (who will play backup PF). OKC promises to be very good as well if healthy. OKC was on a 60 win pace when Westbrook, Durant and Ibaka all played.

And Golden State had the best offense and defense last year. I don't know if Lawson moves the needle so much he makes us better than the Warriors.

And Cleveland played much of the playoffs with two all-stars injured, and the Finals effectively with only Lebron.

I don't think Lawson is enough. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

10. Bo6

Bo6 Member

gotta give credit to mchale for developing numerous of our young players. harden,dmo,capela etc etc.

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Wouldn't be surprised to see this thread explode in April/May when he eventually gets exposed against a real coach in the Playoffs, costing the Rockets a championship.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So, the Rockets over-performed last season (both regular season and playoffs) with a not good enough or healthy roster and the coach should get fired? Sounds more like he should get a multi-year extension.

13. bongman

bongman Member

So we will just ignore that he beat 2 coaches who recently just won.championships without a.point guard? I think that is wahts called selective memory.

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The thread is going to blow up because the dolt in my sig is going to bump it after every turnover.

Village idiot gonna village idiot.

15. Newlin

Newlin Member

Most people would say that Rick Carlisle and Doc Rivers are real coaches. Both coaches lost to a Kevin McHale coached team that was missing two key players from its rotation.

And next April/May when the Rockets are winning again, I fully expect you and the other McHale haters to continue whining. For some reason you guys get more enjoyment out of complaining and whining, then you get from a Rockets win. Yes, I have no doubt that you want the Rockets to lose, just because it makes it easier to whine about McHale.

Hey, I'm going to enjoy the season. It's going to be a long difficult season for you, because I'm expecting lots of wins.

16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Rookie Steve Kerr > McHale

That's the guy I wanted when he was available. GSW reap the benefits of hiring Kerr to replace Jackson while we stuck with "play harder" "clap clap" "ball got sticky"

17. SKTTLZ

SKTTLZ Member

lol. spot on.

18. photojoe

photojoe Member

Both Carlisle and Rivers are considered "real coaches" because they won a championship. Rivers won a championship when he had a completely loaded Celtics team. Carlisle won a championship when they had a deep roster and Dirk played out of his mind during the playoffs.

It's funny how winning one championship can completely change the perception of a certain player or coach.

19. photojoe

photojoe Member

The truly difficult thing, in any sport, is being able to evaluate how much of a team losing is because of the players on the roster versus how much of it is the coaching staff.

When Kevin McHale inherited the Rockets, he inherited them as a work in progress. When rookie Steve Kerr inherited the Warriors, he inherited a fully loaded finished product that was, quite frankly, deeper, better and healthier than the Rockets last year.

Who knows? Steve Kerr might end up being a better coach than McHale. But at this point, based on the huge sample size of one season, it is impossible to say definitely that Kerr is better than McHale.

20. joeson332

joeson332 Member

starting to hate CF