1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. verysimplejason

Yup. He's solid or he'll not be able to bring Rockets to playoffs but solid isn't enough. He has to be great to win it all and so far, I have not seen it with the Rockets. He can be a good coach for a rebuilding team but for a contending team, either he steps up or he should be gone.

2. mercy road

mercy road Member

Sigh. You will not give up will you? I do not even understand what your point is anymore. If I ever did. GS has had the same core of Curry, Barnes, Thompson, Bogut, Green and others on the roster for the last three years at least. Kerr was hired to coach those players, not make roster decisions.

3. verysimplejason

My point is, and still is, McHale's not cut to coach this team to championship. If I'm not clear enough then say so.

4. mercy road

mercy road Member

And I believe that several respected posters here have stated that you have no idea what you are talking about, and Morey and Les, two excellent basketball minds, obviously disagree with you since they extended McHale, mid-season, for three years at a cool $5M/year.

5. verysimplejason

Yup. and you know all along that those are just my opinion? Am I not entitled to think for my own and just accept what you are saying? I may change it if and only if Rockets win it all and here I can take it that we're on the same page. Just like you are entitled to your own opinion, I am entitled to mine.

6. mercy road

mercy road Member

I am good with that. Lonely on that island yet all by yourself?

7. verysimplejason

Oh and may I remind you that this is a forum and this is what a forum should be. You can't just make sweeping conclusions that since Morey and Les are with you (I hope so), that I'm wrong and I just have to accept what you or the others are saying...

8. verysimplejason

Actually no or there wouldn't be a thread like this in the GARM.

9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I don't think you have to be a great coach to win it all. The jury is still out on Kerr. Spoelstra is not a great coach. Rivers may even be just a very good, but not great, coach. Obviously it helps to have an all-time great like Pop or Phil Jackson on the sidelines, but it's a little unfair to say McHale's not cut out to coach a championship team. He did get them to the WCF and back from a 3-1 deficit against the Clippers. Not to mention 56 regular season wins and a division title despite an insane number of injuries.

Last season, I wanted McHale fired after that Lillard 3-pointer and was furious that Morey and Les brought him back. A year later, even though I still have issues with some of his tendencies as a coach, I think he's more than earned the benefit of the doubt heading into next season.

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Common sense would tell you that after a team goes on double digit runs it might be time to talk it over. What is the stat for that?

11. verysimplejason

Fair enough. Spoelstra isn't actually the only head coach as they are still coached in part by Riley. I find Rivers to be a good coach. He may have won only because of his big 3 but that's debatable since Pierce and Garnett teamed up with some very good players in Brooklyn but didn't actually won.

12. mercy road

mercy road Member

The short answer is that calling a timeout decreases a teams eFG% by between 4 and 7 percent depending on time remaining in the game. So calling a timeout is never a good idea in order to draw up an offensive play. However, there are several reasons to call a timeout: substitutions, the team needs a blow, to attempt to change the other teams momentum, and possibly several others. However, without serious insider knowledge into the coaching staffs minds it is impossible to discern when the appropriate moment for a timeout actually is. And McHale is never ever out there on an island. He has the best basketball minds money can buy sitting right beside him on the bench. They have seen everything possible. A thousand times before. Me, I have my TV screen.

13. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

I don't care if they keep McHale, or hire another coach, but please put some movement to the offense, have the Rockets play a team ball, involve more players, not just have Harden hold the ball for 15 seconds before makes his move.

14. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

This thread....

If we fired him he would just go to the Cavs and win rings probably.

He would be a perfect fit for Lebron.

15. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I don't know if anyone else has posted this but:

Kevin Mchale is the 5th longest tenured coach in the league. Only Pop, Carlisle, Spoelstra, and Vogel have been with their current team longer. Pretty amazing how fast coaches turn over in the NBA.

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Also explains why fans always clamor for a replacement. They're used to scapegoating a position that can't be easily measured.

17. Mimex

Mimex Member

Fire McHale and hire Messina!!!

18. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

King McHale

King McHale.

19. Buzzlite

Buzzlite Member

Mchale is a huge reason as to why we can bring guys like Josh Smith in midseason with no internal hitches...Players respect him and he is a fantastic player coach who really forms a bond with his players, as long as you surround him with capable assistants he is actually a rare commodity in the league.

20. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

McHale the invincible.