1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. verysimplejason

It might be that they're lucky when it comes to their health (which I believe luck isn't all about it... A large part of it is due to their training staffs). Then it's also luck that GSW players knows how to set multiple screens, move without the ball, where to go and expect a pass, know where to dump the ball without even looking at the positions on court, know how to defend properly as a team, to switch and rotate properly, how to be unselfish, how to make that extra pass? If anything else, please do not discount to luck how this team can play as a real team.

2. mercy road

mercy road Member

It is in McHale's contract. That was one of the big points of contention between Morey and Addleman, choice of assistant coaches.

3. verysimplejason

Regardless, the head coach is still the one making the final decisions on-court.

4. frontline94

frontline94 Member

guarantee you mchale didnt tell ariza to miss open threes when he had a good shot (not a knock on ariza, im just picking a player who shoots a lot of open threes)

mchale can only put players in a position to win and develop them internally

harden has developed incredibly, dmo has developed, josh smith played much better than the regular season, and tjones is a solid player when healthy

^ you think all of that was without mchale's help?

just as the forum has an exorcism every time mchale makes a mistake, they should credit him when he develpps players or wins games

ALSO, dont tell me harden developed on his own. he himself said he was doubtful of his ability to become a superstar and invariably was listening and gaining experience from his head coach

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Uh, it's called luck. Yes, their depth allowed their guys to play fewer minutes. But ultimately, it's luck. Look at how Bev got injured. He was going up to contest a shot and tore a tendon in his wrist. He wasn't even hit on the play. How about Kyrie's fractured kneecap? Just a freak, random accident. And the Warriors who were lucky to avoid any major injuries all season long were the direct beneficiaries of both of those BTW.

And there are plenty of others I can cite. Wes Matthews' achilles. Chris Paul's hammy. Kevin Love's arm being yanked out of its socket. Josh Smith stumbling into Dwight Howard's knee in Game 1 of the WCF. All bad luck. Hell, the Warriors were so lucky that when Curry took a tumble over Ariza in Game 4 that could've ended his season(or even his career), he escaped with merely a sore back and elbow and was even able to return later in the 2nd half.

The thing about this kind of luck is it rarely lasts. The lone exception in the last quarter century might be that first Bulls three-peat where I don't recall any major injuries suffered in the 3 years they won the title. We'll see if Golden State is that fortunate, but I wouldn't hold my breath. And certainly they'll never face 4 straight injury-riddled opponents in the playoffs again.

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Developing players is great, but critical decision making amidst stress is also an innate ability, as 'making open 3's' should be. Too many head scratching, WTF moments from McHale. I guess we have to allow McHale some more time to develop too.

7. mercy road

mercy road Member

Have you ever considered that your head scratching moments may be caused by a lack of understanding of NBA basketball? McHale has a full staff of assistant coaches, most of them hired by Morey, to help make those decisions. You and I have a TV and absolutely no experience in professional basketball.

8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

that may be, but even I know when to call a timeout.

9. mercy road

mercy road Member

Do you really? If you do what is the eFG% penalty suffered by the offense when calling a time out over just letting the play continue at 30 seconds or less on the clock? At 5 minutes or less left? I bet McHale knows the answer to those questions. Heck, I know the answer to those questions.

10. verysimplejason

I can understand your point and I don't disagree but is it enough? ISO plays won't cut it especially in a series where opponents can study each player thoroughly enough to know his tendencies, weaknesses and strengths. What separates GSW plays with the Rockets is that it is more dynamic. Can't you see the multiple screens, cuts, ball movement that GSW are doing all series long? Even the player rotations, defense and ability to sustain energy throughout the playoffs will tell you that the Warriors are much well coached than the Rockets. If you think Rockets and Warriors isn't different enough, then there's nothing to discuss. A team won't be able to move or play like that without good coaching from a head coach even if you put in the most cerebral players in the world together.

Oh and if Ariza can't knock down those open threes then why did McHale insists on doing the same plays? If I remember it right, Livingston can't shoot the 3 efficiently also but he's still effective under Kerr. He's got only 1 shot attempt at 3 and he's a PG/SG.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Ahh but the two teams are very different and if you got Kerr to coach this team this team doing GS's style it would fail. The pieces aren't here to do what he does.

We don't have the ball handlers, (Harden is the only on above average on this team with the dribble and maybe Brewer). GS has 3-5 above average ball handlers (Curry, Livingston, Iggy, Thompson and Barbosa).

We don't have the passing skills, (Harden and Smithare the only two with average passing skills) while GS have 4-5 average passers (Curry, Livingston, Iggy, Bogut and maybe Green).

Our team is build differently and could have been even better with 2 of our starters had they been available.

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Because the point would be?

Why did YOU bump the thread then? Obviously you have a point you want to try and make.

Is this about Golden State and Steve Kerr????.... What exactly did Kerr do then? Kerr made adjustments by going small, to be able to switch more of defense to take away air space on shooters, and push the pace.

He also relied on crazy Curry/Thompson bad shots (that are actually good shots for them), and relied extensively on Curry facilitating out of the high P&R to find the open shooter, or slasher going to the rim when the defense trapped him.

So what exactly did Kerr do that McHale wouldn't have had the common sense to do as well? When has McHale NOT wanted to go small in the past when he could defensively? When is his bread and butter play not the high P&R and iso from his best perimeter player? Do the Rockets NOT believe in switching everything to take away air space with shooters?

So what is it you are getting at by bumping this thread the morning after the Warriors won the title?

Obviously its NOT that Kerr did something magical that McHale wouldn't have done obviously.

13. verysimplejason

Just my 2 cents... If Kerr is to coach this team, this team's composition will be different. There will be a lot of trades during the trade deadline to suit his tastes and he won't sign the contract if he can't personally choose his assistants before that as well. You can't expect to put him as your head coach without giving him the power to carve the team accordingly. He's not a Morey's man that's why he's not the Rockets' coach.

If there's something Kerr knows very well, that is how to build his own team. In Phoenix, he had done some mistakes (Shaq), and he knows it too well. It's one of the reasons why Bogut, Ezeli and Lee have very few minutes on-court.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Garbage theory and you know why? He never build the warriors into his team.

He was handed a finished product and used what he had to build his offense. He got lucky Green exploded into a great player, he got lucky Barnes became better than he was the season before too.

If he was so great at building teams then why did he suck as a GM in PHX?

15. mercy road

mercy road Member

Not happening. You must believe Kerr is the GM of GS and not Bob Myers. And do you actually believe that Myers changed the Warriors roster when he hired Kerr? He did not. Oh, and actually checking to see if Kerr is the GM of the Warriors is incredibly easy.

http://www.nba.com/warriors/staffdirectory

16. verysimplejason

Garbage theory? He can easily surmise the team and build another one if he didn't see the potential. Mark was only able to bring this same team till 1st round the previous year. He made Barnes and Green as his starters. And didn't he admit he had erred during his Phoenix days? Him and Gentry... They know what had gone wrong in Phoenix and they corrected it with the GSW. Do you think hiring Livingston, benching Lee and asking Iggy to come from the bench isn't planned?

17. verysimplejason

So you're saying that the head coach doesn't have a say on who's gonna stay and who's gonna be hired?

18. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Kevin Mchale is a solid coach.

19. mercy road

mercy road Member

The head coach may have input into FO decisions. That is it. Unless the head coaches name is Popovich or Rivers or Van Gundy or the others that have dual titles of HC.GM, no they do not have a say.

20. verysimplejason

Really? Have you seen how GSW management operates? Now, considering what you had said, head coaches can certainly influence their way on who's gonna be in their roster. Morey's not the GM of GSW last time I heard.