1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes, a championship. They have to tighten up on both ends of the floor, protect the ball and play defense.

DD

2. cpan

cpan Member

get Tom Thibodeau!

3. Mr Chuck Norris

Thibs helped hardens defense in team USA. This has a history with Harden, thibs had a history with Houston.... Get thibs back as associate head coach if we don't wanna get rid of mchale.

4. OpenLayup-Why3?

I don't think Harden became better defender after team USA, not by a little. He just started trying more, sometimes. And when you go from not trying at all to trying a lot sometimes, it looks like you made huge progress in your defensive skills, but that's just trying more.

5. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I still don't believe Pop would have done much better with this team. It's impossible to know what would have happened with a different coach. Maybe McHale took this team as far as it could go.

6. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Comments like these are the reason this thread is so long.

7. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pop couldn't get last years best team in the world out of this years first round.

8. bobloblaw

And your response which was not actually a response at all...?

Extraordinarily hypocritical. You're second in posts in this thread to a guy who was banned. You're obviously doing something productive here by calling for McHale's firing.

McHale did a great job this year. The burden is on you to explain how we finished as the 3rd best team in the league with purportedly terrible coaching.

9. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

You are going way off subject. Your idiocy that Gregg Poppovich is essentially an even swap for Kevin Mchale is beyond ridiculous and delusional.

10. bobloblaw

So you're going to ignore your previous hypocritical response about bumping the thread when I was responding to a reply.

Way off of what subject? I never said that McHale and Popovich were an even swap (reading comprehension). I said that McHale did a great job this year and that Popovich wouldn't have taken this team further. I also stated that I don't believe this team was good enough (ready) to win it all.

Your pattern in this thread is to dismiss views (needling or trolling) without offering any logical response. Here you've created a straw man of my argument and used a false dilemma. Pop is not walking through the door. You can't prove that he would have won us a championship and even if you could why does it matter?

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It's equally idiotic to think he could have led the Rockets past the Warriors

12. bobloblaw

I don't think you can offer a valid criticism of McHale without having a substitute. I mean a logical and available substitute, not just throwing out that Pop/Carlisle/Kerr/Budenholzer/Rivers/etc. are better than him.

How many of the McHale critics pushed for hiring Steve Kerr or Budenholzer this past offseason? There's no guarantee that firing McHale would contribute anything to this team. It could cost us wins and engender player loyalty. You have to have a better backup plan than Fred Hoiberg or Lionel Collins if you're going to fire a coach that just took this team to a WCF.

13. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

How do you know that Fred Hoiberg isn't the next Steve Kerr or Mike B? You have to take chances to win a championship not get comfortable with the average. Not that I'm advocating for Hoiberg per se but we've seen with Mchale and Morey ball can do, time to get a better strategy other than give the ball to Harden or shoot three's. Regardless of all of this talk Mchale did pretty good this year but it's not enough. And there will never be a time where I agree that Popp and Mchale are basically a wash that's insane.

14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

The same strategy that weathered the most player games due to injury of all playoff teams(2 seed) and then got us to the conference finals down 2 starters where we lost to what looks like it could be one of the all time best teams in league history?

That strategy does sound pretty terrible.

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

more like euros and pro-ams helped harden's defense in team usa :p

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I am in favor of this, although it is highly unlikely to happen.

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

LOL ahh yes, we made it to the WCF's so nothing could possibly improve us, lol.

18. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

This. Well said DD. Agree 100%

19. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

You need to learn how to comprehend your own words or learn what words mean. A little deductive reasoning may help you in your quest to debate. If you say "Pop couldn't or wouldn't take this team further". That sir implies that he is no better than Mchale and I disagree. The dilemma that you seem to believe that I have created actually comes from your need to win an argument. Nothing that you argued against in the second part of your "Speech" is actually anything that I have said. You are arguing your own assumptions and confusing yourself. None of this is my problem.

20. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

The key words here are "last years" best team.