1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

McHale went back over that in the post game. Barnes who took that reverse layup shot was out of bounds, and they apparently had one player down as well. He saw Harden had the ball "going downhill," so he was going to take those odds all day.

2. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I said I would say he is a good coach. If he gets past this round he's great. I just think with this team, it coulda been done a little easier more disciplined. But I'm proud that we got this far. I just see the Rockets with the ability to beat this team, but they are just not disciplined enough. Too sloppy too many little mistake bad timing. It's partly the players but I think a more strategic coach would garner less turnovers and mistakes. One or two here and there and we're 2-0 not 0-2.

3. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Yeah, there's a significant chance TJ fumbles the pass and everyone groans. That said, that was the play to make. GS went 2-1 vs Harden, Ariza can't sprint to the corner bc at the same time, Harden is driving left, so there's no space there. But the fast break opened up for TJ who beat Green down court. Nobody in the media is reporting this and they're talking about maybe Dwight dribbling down for the shot or a late timeout. But it's right there. It's not even the toughest pass of the day for Harden. TJ beat Green to the rim by 2 huge steps and the passing lane was open, but Harden just missed it. He saw Dwight a split second later and thought it might be a shooter. Stuff happens, but damn, the winning play was right there and it just didn't work out tonight. :(

I agree with the Smith point, which is why he was pulled. I wouldn't mind a quicker hook on that. McHale micromanaged game 7 of the Clips. He'll probably do the same with game 3 being do or die.

4. Juxtaposed Jolt

I'm sure it'd be a lot easier too if we had 2 starters back and Dwight not injured.

McHale is playing with the cards he's dealt, and tbh, he's not terrible.

5. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Didn't say he was terrible.

1 person likes this.
  6. Outlier

Outlier Member

Don't mind the grass is "greener on the other side" folks. These people are never satisfied.

7. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Maybe because we know from experience that sometimes the grass is greener and you should never settle, when you can do something about it.

8. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Basically.

9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

He was right not to call a timeout when the play started but as soon as it broke down and Howard got the ball he should have called timeout.

There was plenty time left to get a much better look.

10. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

This...but hindsight is always 20/20...and considering there were just seconds in the game...It was a great trap by Curry and Klay, and they made the conscious effort to ensure that James Harden wasnt going to beat them.

11. Newlin

Newlin Member

At about the 4 second mark Harden could have called timeout, or he could have taken a shot. Watch the replay. I wish he had taken the shot. He was only open for a split second, but I think that was his best chance to score. He also had TJones running open straight down the lane for a split second also. It would have been a risky pass, but it was there.

A time out could have been called, but it was going to be difficult to get a good look at the basket in 4 seconds or less, especially considering that the Warriors are the best defensive team in the league. I really wish Harden had taken the shot at 4 seconds. We had guys under the basket in case he missed.

In the end it was a great defensive play by the Warriors.

12. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Man you have a come back for everything. I would love to see you coach this team Mr. Know-it-all.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lol what exactly can you do? And what kind of experience do you exactly have? Watching on the couch doesnt exactly count.

Under Mchale the team has gotten the 2nd seed and reached the WCF despite dealing with injuries to Dwight, Tjones, Capela and Bev. That 4 starting quality players. So if you're gonna fire the dude you better have a good reason for it. I remember when Denver fired George Karl because "they can do better based on exp". How'd that turn out?

14. Zergling

Zergling Member

Normally, I'd be okay with not calling a timeout there.

Problem though is you're playing 4v5 in that situation with Dwight being on the court. In fact Dwight was better off staying in the backcourt and not being there for James to pass to.

Harden was having no problem scoring at will against the Warriors' set defense, so calling a timeout to plan a play against their set defense wasn't a big deal.

The Warriors' defense might have been in chaos during that play, but unfortunately, so was the Rockets' offense. That's why a timeout probably should've been called.

15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

You're comparing the Rockets to the Denver team that fired Karl?? lol

16. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Never said I knew it all and it's easy to have a comeback when you are right.

17. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

How are you right? We're in the Western Conference Finals and Mchale is a big part of the reason why we made it this far. So no sir you are not right.

18. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

You guys argue against yourselves I never said Mchale wasn't a big part of it.

19. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

The grass is greener where you water and nurture it.

But whatever jump from the next to the next.

20. 08kx250f

08kx250f Member

Had Harden made a bucket you guys would have been praising McHale and the team for not calling a TO. Harden had the hot hand and was on a break. Maybe he should have called a TO, but you guys are never happy. I'm just happy we are in the WCF. Had we been eliminated 4-1 by the Clippers we would be talking about blowing the team up..