1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

McHale did a good job of preparing us for games 1 and 2. Games 3-5, not as impressed.

Biggest flaws were allowing the Mavs to go on extended runs by not calling timeouts and settling his players to focus and maintain their intensity. That allowed the Mavs to go on long runs with the Rockets having scoring droughts.

I was hoping the team would be more prepared in game 5, but they had the same lackadaisical effort on defense to begin the game. Sure, look at the box score and say it was 31-22 in the 1st quarter, but the Mavs had 4 easy transition buckets. Transition defense should have been our main focus from losing game 4 and nearly losing game 3, but the Rockets didn't turn it around until the 3rd quarter.

The true test for McHale comes in the second round.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I have no complaints. The rockets decisively beat the Mavs in 5 games and he seemed poised. The players love playing for him, and this is the furthest the rockets have gotten in a while. I'm happy.

At the end of the day, I just want to see results.

3. MFG16

MFG16 Member

The only complaint I have with McHale that I'd like to see him change for the second round is his use of time outs. It was really frustrating every time Carlisle called a TO after we would get any type of momentum but it worked and kept us from getting into a sustained groove. McHale doesn't need to be trigger happy but he normally used his TOs too late against any mavs run.

4. joeson332

joeson332 Member

can we lock this thread?

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I still don't think he is a championship caliber coach. A team with a top 2 player in the NBA in James Harden and one of the most dominant big men in the game, Dwight, should win a 7 game series against the current Mavs team regardless of who is coaching them. Beating the Warriors, Spurs, Clippers or Cavs on the other hand is an entirely different story.

6. frontline94

frontline94 Member

surely you wouldnt assume that harden became that great without the slightest help from mchale and his coaching stafff? and lets not forget there are close to 7 other players in the rotation who score 60-70% of our other points

7. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

I do give him credit for seemingly making adjustments that stopped JJ. Barea from torching them alive in game 5.

But then you also have to blame Mchale for the rockets lackadaisical attitude and all too often failed Harlem Globetrotters act which resulted in 15 TOs by halftime. That's not going to get it down in round 2.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

I would still like to replace McHale with better coaches, however now is not the time for all that. Focus on getting as far as we can in the playoffs and judge later on his performance once the playoffs are over.

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Wasn't at all impress what he have done in the Dallas series. He just did ok and as usual, still slow to react. But it's a major improvement over last year. Last year was snail. This year is turbo turtle.

10. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I quoted you, but it's not just you.

So if we'd have lost you wouldn't blame him, you'd blame the players?

I'm tired of these moving goalposts. We came out shorthanded by two starters, two others who missed basically half a season, finished 2nd in the west in probably the most stacked conference ever, beat the Mavs in 5, and it's still "Now we'll see if he's worthwhile" or "THIS will be the test."

Give the dude a break man. He finished 6th in coty votes. Is he perfect? No, no one is. Has he done a good job this year? Definitely. It would be healthy for some of you to quit trying to blame him for everything below perfection and quit ignoring his accomplishments with this squad while giving them all the credit. He's a player's coach..., So was Rudy T. Deal with it. Being right about previous analysis of McHale's coaching isn't worth being such a negative fan.

Lastly, anyone that would blame losing to any of the teams you listed, strictly on coaching, doesn't recognize their talent and hasn't watched those teams play. And yeah, pretty good coaching too, on most of those.... though I pray we get a shot at the Cavs.

1 person likes this.
  11. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Most of my angry for Mchale came from blowing it in the playoffs last year. We made it out the first round he is a solid guy and I hope he improves even more next round.

12. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

Where else can you get such entertainment?

Calling to fire a coach that wins a division, gets a second seed, and most importantly does it in spite of the highest number of injured player lost games, provides a unique insight into the lack of intelligence of our fans.

Just how well did Dallas' supposedly top level coach integrate Rondo into his playoff run? LOL, compare that to Josh Smith, who was arguably far worse than Rondo for team chemistry...so bad he had to be cut....and McHale clearly did the superior coaching job.

The cry babies whine about winning only in 5 games, about allowing runs in games, and on and on. Its hilarious to read this crap....and to have a record of the ignorance is priceless.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly. . . I never thought I would like the guy
    '81 and '86
    But he has won me over. . . . . .. . .

Rocket River
    . . . but if I ever see him in green and white [​IMG]

14. RESINator

RESINator Member

In response to Kevin McHale's end of 3rd quarter collapse speech:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Its not energy buddy.</p>&mdash; Haralabos Voulgaris (@haralabob) <a href="https://twitter.com/haralabob/status/595433522690707457">May 5, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

why doesnt he trust capela.. prigs should be playing with harden to finish games.. oh well

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

People will pin this game on McHale, for some reason, but he can't keep his guys from just making moronic passes and fouls.

17. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

And complete laziness. They acted like they deserved this win from the beginning. CP3 there or not you better come out with focus.

18. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

Came here to just watch this thread thought the series now.

19. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

This pathetic joke of a coach. His flaws were hidden against a pathetic and self imploding Mavs but now it's there to see

1 week to prepare and this is how we come out

Flat and lack of energy

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

he has had 4 completely different rosters melting down and McCollapsing the same exact way 4 consecutive seasons now. it's the coach.