1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Morey will not fire McHale anytime soon ... because McHale and Sampson are his lackeys, puppets, patsies, yes-men, ventriloquist dummies, etc. They are only following his orders without question. In the 4th quarter, when Delfino is guarding Gasol ... that's most likely Morey's directions. Somewhere there's a statistic that says Delfino at power forward is the most efficient frontcourt lineup. So Morey tells McHale to insert that lineup, he has no mind or creativity of his own, just does what Morey says.

McHale is Morey's right hand ... he will not be chopped off anytime soon.

2. RocketPowerNick

If McHale treats Lin next year like this, Morey will instruct him to switch it up. Let's see if he does.

3. gengar

gengar Member

Even if some of you Mchale supporters think that Mchale isn't that bad of a coach, most of you guys still do agree with the rest of us that Mchale isn't a top-tier coach. And that alone, is a reason in itself to fire Mchale and find a better coach.

4. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

that's an awful example. if anything, it disproves whatever it is you're claiming

5. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

I think you gotta give him a chance first by finding better players, then if he underachieves, fire him.

Morey:
    People should realize what the coaches and players were able to do doesn’t happen in this league. We changed the whole roster. Sixth-youngest team to ever make it in the tough West. Very inexperienced. It just doesn’t happen. A great achievement by them.

The Delfino on Gasol move definitely was a big mistake that makes me question his sanity though.

6. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

Watching the grizz game, they say Hollins might not want to go back after this season, because of the offers he's going to get.

If that's the case, does Morey miss this chance and stay with McHale?

If there's one thing Hollins can do, it's hold players accountable and instill discipline. Not sure how he is on the offensive X's and O's, but can't be worst than McHale.

7. 2ndchance

2ndchance Member

I have to at least in part, disagree.

Greg Popovich is living proof that coaching is instrumental to a team's success. Obviously, core talent is necessary. But the Spurs' ability to stay relevant and eminently successful through all these years, despite a constant turnover of role players is a testament to the importance of quality coaching.

The Same goes for the Bulls - that they are in the Playoffs despite all their injuries can be attributed to the greatness of T. Thibodeau.

What is maddening is that we have some serious talent here. And while our core players have improved this year (they work hard), I can't help but wonder how much more all of them could really develop with quality coaching - not only improvement as a team but individually as well. Look at the cast Denver - not one of them is as talented as Harden. But when you watch how much each of them has grown under G. Karl - that's when I get angry about having McHale as our leader. We could really be dangerous with a good coach - and I definitely feel like a coach that stresses defensive accountability (like T. Thibs) would be what helps us become serious contenders.

Anyway, we can only hope.......

With all that talent that OKC

1 person likes this.
  8. munco

munco Member

I'm certain McHale is a terrible coach, but I realize we have him through all of next year unless we're one of the worst teams in the league. It's been painful to watch as people praise him when he hasn't shown any coaching ability. I'd say he's the most overrated coach in the NBA right now.

In regards to coaching not having an effect. It seems to have a far greater effect on teams that do not have the best players. Mike Brown is a terrible coach but he won COY and went to the finals. He also had Lebron. Coaching seems to have a far bigger impact on teams that do not have the mega stars

9. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

sometimes its better to keep not so a good coach for several years than to change 4 great coaches in 4 years
    [​IMG]

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

The spurs having the best PF in NBA history along with a top notch front office kept them relevant.

Bulls wouldn't have made the playoffs in the west with their injuries.

11. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

We only made it to the playoffs because Dirk was out this season.

12. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

hahah great!:grin:

13. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

Dirk
    Gasol, Howard's back, Nash
    The entire Minnesota Roster (and we still lost to them grrr....)
    Mo Williams

Yeah we would definitely have been fighting an uphill battle for the 8th

14. OpportunityCost

Great post and repped!

15. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

We only missed playoffs last season because of injuries, especially to Lowry.

16. dmoneybangbang

Quality coaching? First of all, Pop well more than likely be in the Hall of Fame, which doesn't have all that many coaches.... So if you got a hall of fame coach in your pockets, then yes it does matter.

Secondly, I think too many people here have some kind of false notion of what the head coaches do at the professional level. While McHale might be in the lower middle of the pack of game time management for coaches, there's no doubt he is a great player's coach. We got assistant coaches and staff that do most of the "heavy lifting".

In conclusion, if you want a truly better Rocket's team then you add more experience or a 2nd superstar. If you can grab a hall of fame coach then do so..... BUT talent is more important than coaching at the pro level.

17. 2ndchance

2ndchance Member

You're probably right. But they ended up 45-37 despite having tea wide injuries all the way to the end of the season. Their commitment and successfull execution of lockdown defense is what brought them success - this is the trademark and cornerstone of Thibodeau's coaching philosophy. Can you really imagine an other coach being able to bring them as far as he did with all of the obstacles they had to overcome this season? I can't.

Great coaches are instrumental not only in managing wins on play by play - game by game basis, but also in establishing a winning culture in an organization. The Rockets need that kind of coach and culture to find success in the incredibly talented and dominant Western conference. We had that type of coach and culture with Rudy T. I just don't see Mchale as being able to be that kind of leader.

18. RocketPowerNick

We would have won that Lakers or Suns game if it was "must" win.

19. 2ndchance

2ndchance Member

I don't see it that way. The way you paint it, coaches are ultimately unnecessary and talent is the only requirement to success. I think championship teams would beg to differ. Jordan wasn't going anywhere with Doug Collins and he more than anyone could pull off this coach less, talent-only winning team.

Hall of fame coaches only become Hall of Fame status worthy by actually leading teams to victory and Championship rings. The argument that only Hall of Fame coaches are relevant makes no sense to me.

As for the assertion that McHale is a "good player development" coach, I don't buy it. What makes you think that? Where is there evidence of that. So often, an off-handed comment on Sportscenter can become the "truth" because fans automatically accept such statements as fact, without citing any evidence.

Nothing I have seen suggests such coaching acumen and it is as erroneous as the "McHale is worthy of COY consideration". People like to use the team record as proof for said coaching brilliance but as far as I'm concerned, that record is more indicative of the talent on our team.

Here is an interesting article on how all of the NBA coaches stack up. An interesting read - check out McHale's ranking and what they have to say about him. From what I have seen of some of his interviews, it sounds like there could be an element of truth to what they wrote.

20. 2ndchance

2ndchance Member

Here's the link -

http://hoopshype.com/columns/rosen/the-coaching-rankings